Author Topic: I have the wierdest wakin ever  (Read 1557 times)

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I have the wierdest wakin ever
« on: August 17, 2008, 03:33:49 AM »
I bought 8 at the koi show in June.  Since then 2 have disappeared and 1 was found half eaten.  Well last week I found one in the skimmer on it's side floating.  I would have bet it was dead.  It's tail was clamped and it looked gone to me.  So I moved the skimmer basket to remove it and it sprang to life.  So I tossed him back in the wakin pond where he belongs.  He's been swimming , eating and acting normal.  Well yesterday he was laying on its side on the edge of a lotus pot.  Well I figured dead for sure.  Well when I approached it took off like a shot.  What is with this fish?  Does it just need a break once in a while?  I have kept fish for years and have never seen this.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I have the wierdest wakin ever
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:50:32 PM »
Maybe it's just playing "dead" because of what's been eating the other's .......  ::) ....or just being scared "stiff".... lol......sorry couldn't help myself..... lol
I really wouldn't know . Maybe someone else will see you're post that can answer you're question .

bonnie

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »
I've never seen my wakin do that but I have an Oranda in my aquarium that will sleep in the plants at times during the day and he stays in there at night to sleep. If your guy is healthy and active at other times then maybe he's tired and trying to nap. Another thought, maybe he's a she and there has been some spawning and she's just been pushed around too much. Those boys can be pretty rough on the girls. If that's the case then she needs to be separated from them before they kill her.
Kay

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »
I had a Wakin that did something similar - it spent a lot of time floating, mostly upside down, but when I got near it went to the bottom (with a lot of effort) and seemed to be eating and swimming around okay other than floating to the top occasionally.  The vet said that it probably had a problem with it's float gland or whatever it's called and a possible problem internally.  Eventually he had gotten some sores and didn't look too well, so I sent him to the pond in the sky for fear that the others might get whatever he had.  The others didn't hang around him much, so they knew something was up.  He was my favorite, too....he was orange and white , sort of striped, and his name was, if you hadn't guessed already, - Nemo.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
That is weird...reminds me of a fish my brother had named Ferrel that one day started swimming upsidedown and backwards.  It did everything upside down, but lived for a number of years and got pretty big.  I think it was the last one to go, he couldn't bear to bury it and released it into the natural pond out back where he lived.  Don't know if it was still alive or not when he did it.  I think it was his favorite too. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"