Author Topic: Question about "great stuff"....sticky foam  (Read 2077 times)

Offline pegs pond

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question about "great stuff"....sticky foam
« on: August 17, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
Hi all, I am not sure if you are supposed to start a new thread with a new question?
I need to stick some rocks to a "vault" I have made for my waterfall....puting underlayment, then liner and you will see under the falls rock so want to make it pretty.  Been reading posts and about using great foam for outside to keep things in place, well what about inside? I guess I could just start at the water level and go up from there but splashing will probaly still get em wet.  Concern is for plants and goldies....chemicals leak out of this stuff?  anyone know?  And yes I know what I will get into using this stuff!  I built a "rock" out of it for a mermaid to sit on and gawd what a mess!   I think when I start this project (if it will work)  I'll get a disposable painters suit!
Thanks Peg

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about "great stuff"....sticky foam
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »
People use it in the falls all the time.  The water runs over it and into the pond. 

It shouldn't hurt your fish at all.  Its much cheaper than the pond kind.  The only difference is, Great stuff is yellow, the other is expensive and black.  Beware, the stuff expands more than you think.  A little goes a long ways.

Also on another thread, people have used it to make floating planters.  Take pics of your progress, would love to see them.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »
I used it to seal up my water fall it works great and what a mess.I didnt have any problems with my fish or plants. Just keep it dry for a day. After I foamed everything the next day I went back through and trimmed and shaped it a bit with a knife. Make sure you wear some sort of gloves

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
I have used  both the black and the yellow. They both will do the job well. I have heard that it takes paint well. They both scab over quickly and the black cures faster than the yellow. I am not happy at all with the bits of yellow left over in my waterfall. Sure the big chunks pulled away but left stuff there that is now a dark goldy/yellow after a few days. Several years ago I used it to hold rocks together in the planter around the waterfall/Skippy and it turned a dark goldy/olivey color which blends in well. I don't know if the new Stuff that I just did will darken with age or not. I'm real tempted to climb out there and get at it with a wire brush.

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »
Thanks all and DUH guess my brain is not working.......too much digging....LOL...cuz I've read all about using the foam to seal the waterfall and DUH that's in the water!  Trust me I will wear gloves!  gonna see if the vet will let me have a pair of the ones that go up to your armpits!  I have a problem with anything sticky...all my friends laugh at me at what a mess I can make with plain ole glue! :redface:
Peg

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:05:50 PM »
after it dries you can spray paint it if you want...just let the paint dry before turning the water on....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
Yes, you will not use Stuff under water. I had thought to sprinkle sand or pebbles on the wet Stuff right after it was applied to try to make it look more natural but I forgot to get it ready and was too lazy to get it after I got started. If someone else could work with you it might be better.

Offline fredinva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »
Hi Peg!!
I've been watching your build progress here and on another board.
It bring's back memories of back-breaking work four years ago. But I had a back-hoe dig my main 'pond hole' but the final digging and plant shelf dig in rock and clay was not easy.

To your question re great stuff.  Sure use it, and as mentioned, it can be trimmed.
To avoid the unsightly yellow/gold color, before you add your water, you can paint it OR use 100% silicone and glue stones/rocks to cover the expanded foam. I used both GS and silicone to glue flat rocks to part of my liner too.

Good luck, and ENJOY,

fred

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
thanks Fred, and we did have a little help.......we have a small tractor with the scoop on the front so a lot of the dirt was moved with that.  Only problem is our ground if pumice!  Once the top of the soil is removed it's like the stuff in bean bags only yellow. It's great to dig in but horrid to try to form!  It just crumbles! at least drainage will be no problem and the sides have enough real soil to hold the ledge....I HOPE...LOL...Peg

Offline fredinva

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
I can't imagine the pumice!!!  Here in Va it is red clay and lotsa limestone!!
I was still leary of the pond side caving in as I heard/read numerous horror stories.
I may have gone overboard with my build since I shored up all the sides with block.
Here's what it looked like in Apr 04:
fred

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
Wow, Fred, that's a nice big and deep pond.  Got any finished photos?

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
Fred that is super! and now I can see that you went straight down but STILL have a shelf!  Thanks and ditto on do you have any finished photos? I almost wish we had clay right now, working on the sides! And I may do what you have done with the blocks on the sides, they seem very stable right now but I'm afraid of cave in also!  Did you put rocks up too? Hubby is wanting to do retaining wall blocks and I know they would be stable and I have them on the hill but I'm going for a more natural look on the pond and stream.  More piccys PLEASE.

Went all the way to town today for more liner for the stream and they were OUT!  :'(  Friend is checking another place for me tomorrow fingers crossed...hubby is out in the dark with my laser level and photo tripod checking level...LOL, he's getting as obsessed as me! I bought a book on ponding today and he said I am going to be one broke puppy.......ummmm what's new?  LOL
Peg

Offline fredinva

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:51:06 AM »
Wow, Fred, that's a nice big and deep pond.  Got any finished photos?

here tis:

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 01:48:40 PM »
I have sand and only shaped the ledges and layed the patio blocks , what are they, 8 X 16"  by 1.5 or so, on top of the ledge. That was about 5 years ago this month and they have held up. At times I have walked on the ledges but make sure I step closest to the back of it. So I would think that clay would hold it's shape even better.

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »
oh Fred that is super!  And so nice to see the same view empty and finished!  Thanks! 

Okay have decided to go back out and did the one side straight (er) down and put the blocks on ONE shelf like Esther has done.  If it will hold in your sand it should hold in my pumice.  BUT I will make the shelf a bit deeper and come straight down to keep out the coons.

It rained all day yesterday and this morning so slowed down the progress a LOT! grrrr, AND we went to get more liner for the stream yesterday and they are out!  I about freaked!  But they called another store and my friend was going that way today so she is picking it up for me.  It's supposed to be sunny this weekend so want to take advantage and get the liner in!  Got two cans of "sticky stuff" for waterfall and pea gravel for plants and for camo of sticky stuff....so not total wasted trip!

Progress photos later or tomorrow, thanks again!
Peg

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"