Author Topic: Welcome Tropical Storm Fay With Pictures added  (Read 4790 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Welcome Tropical Storm Fay With Pictures added
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »
And goodbye pond if we get as much rain as they are predicting,  Up to 8 inches... Which I think is crazy But that much water is going to be a major problem for me. It may push a little south which may be my saving grace but we will see.
I hope Craig is fine and he did not get flooded out, they are getting hit now. UGH
Andy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:36:53 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Tropical Storm Faye
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
Why would extra water be a problem in your pond? I have run mine over many times. I assume you have sand.  Do you have anything else in Florida?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »
I've been thinking of you and your beautiful pond, and watching the news and wondering.  I have my fingers crossed that they're predictions are wrong.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
Esther, believe it or not, parts of Florida actually had clay and rock like my yard.

Andy, you're lucky if all they predict for you is 8". I think that's how much that has already fallen here with more to come. By looking at the radar at weather.com, the eye looks like it is heading straight for us. Our computer use tonight is on borrowed time as we may not have power by the next hour. It has already blinked off once tonight. We took our showers and ate an early supper just in case. We are on well water. We've also drawn two gallons of drinking water and put it in the fridge. I've been saving half gallon milk jugs and filling them with water and freezing them to maintain ice cold conditions in the small chest freezer where we will be putting all the frozen food if we should lose power. We have candles, oil lamps, and flash lights to see our way around

You see Andy, there is a convenience to above ground ponds. There would have to be more than 2' of water to wash my fishes away. If I wake up in the morning and my feet hit a wet floor, then I'll worry about the pond. :(

See y'all after the storm.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »
I've been thinking about ya'll too . Wondering if anyone from AP that live's in FL .was getting all the rain they're predicting . Please check in whenever you can to let us know how you're doing .

Take care ,
bonnie

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »
Send us your surplus water.  We are lucky to get 8" all year! There is a big movemet to cut back.  Even a toilet with 2 buttons. One for the easy stuff. and one for..... {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »
omg well hope youll be ok
we have had been getting lots of water too its crazy, i know some of you must think that mexico is all a desert but not really haha lol, anyhow we have had having rains almost everyday and thunderstorms like these two weeks, so pretty much a lot, well hope it keeps reaining though more water wont afferct anyone here, but yeah hope everyone in florida will be fine
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »
Won't the fish go to the bottom, and hide?  Heavy rain can't wash them away, can it??

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
Not all, the guppies, Mosquito eaters...  and smaller fish stay on the surface and in the shallows If the pond level raises too high they are out in the yard. I should have put in a silt fence around the edge, that would have let the water out and left the fish in.... Rain starting to come down now, not hard yet but consistent. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 03:37:05 PM »
I hope it comes out OK.  We had our own hurricane scare a week or two ago, so I know well the drill.  They can be real scary; let's hope it passes over and doesn't do any damage.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
Well, we lost power at 9:20am this morning and they finally got it back on at 10:20pm tonight. Andy, we had lots of rain out of this storm but not sure how much. The wind was pretty fierce today. There are a lot of limbs and branches to be picked up tomorrow. It made a mess of the yard and took a ridge cap off of the metal roof of the house. My wife said that she didn't see any holes in it where there had been screws or nails. Anyhow, we're okay and we'll assess the damages tomorrow when it is light.

Oh, the freezers didn't thaw much at all and all the food is still good.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »
Glad you are OK and hope el Jefe's pond is good too.  We dodged Fay when she turned north over Cuba, bad for you.  There are more out there though, I'm just so happy I got my hurricane curtains installed this week.  It's as ready as I'll ever be and that's a relief.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 08:26:25 AM »
hey joanna are you getting any rain?
we are completely covered by clouds that it has been pouring water all week so just wondering

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 08:56:01 AM »
Wow Scott I feel your pain. We lost power 3 times in the last 16 hours  and for me  thats bad. I have obstructive sleep apnea and without my CPAP sleeping becomes a chore. When I looked out at my pond this morning all the flooding  is taking it's toll. This tropical storm is dropping an average of 6 inches of rain PER HOUR at times. Flash flood warnings are out..... Speaking of which.... my pond is so flooded that the catfish are out in the grass. My dog was herding them back into the pond and chasing off the egrets looking for the easy meal. My Pond used to look like the LAST picture now it is like the last two and it continues to pour outside!

I hope this posts at the rate I keep losing power...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:03:30 AM by El Jefe »

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Tropical Storm Fay With Picturea added
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
Scott, Andy,
   Postive thoughts that it will stop soon for you.  :hug:
Hope the dogs keep on the offensive for your fish Andy.
Kay

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
Wow Andy!  That's a lot of rain.  I love the dogs herding cat fish.  lol

Nope Howell, Fay completely missed us.  We have sunny blue skies, white puffy clouds and lots of HEAT! 

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »
Well now  we just lost all power again. AGGGGGHHHHH >:(- >:(- Now I am accessing the net using my Phone (Cell) and blue tooth connections. I really have to invest in a Guardian generator!!!
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/HomePage.aspx Getting tired of this!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »
glad you are ok though....a guardian would be nice, we just invested in a very very large generator that should do the house if needed.  Wish we had a little bit of your rain as it has been absent here for to long.  This morning we got a bit but not enough to even settle the dust it stirred up when hitting the ground.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
Holy smokes.  I hope you are safe. 
Alfonso

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
wow i hope everything ends up o.k. :(  i am in louisiana (baton rouge) and already i feel wind gusts so hard that my egyptian palms in the pond are over >:( ...and i took the umbrella over the swing down...we are suppose to start etting the rains sunday and monday...lorraine  :o
lorraine

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
Andy, I didn't get a picture of it but there was a lake around my pond. I couldn't get to it this morning to get the leaves and pine needles out. I fear that some of the gambusia have been washed out of the bottom stock tank where the water lilies are. It was full to the top. The pot that the banana tree is in was saturated and the wind blew the tree till it was leaning this morning. I've straightened it some but it's still leaning a little. The smaller banana trees are still growing straight. We had a little rain today but not all day. We were under a tornado watch until 3:00pm today.

We have gotten the front yard pretty much cleared of the fallen limbs and branches and my truck is loaded to haul off the second load tomorrow. There will be one more load and maybe two before we get all of the debris out of here.

My parents up in Alabama are suppose to be getting some rain from Fay and 15-25 mph winds. Nothing like we got here.

Good luck Andy.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »
glad youre doing good pondmaninFL i hate tornado watch and whenever they spot one and the sirens went off, omg crazy thing i get so scared of tornados, i have had been in to many,  and i still wonder why, i lived in arkansas lol

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
Well my cable is still out, so no wireless or internet access so still using the Cell to get internet access, little slow. I spent the last 5 hours rounding up fish. 17 catfish and 2 bream They were all out in the yard swimming about. If I lost my bass as well I am going to be upset. The water just started draining away and was real low when it started to rain again..... Ugh!

Scott glad to hear your doing well. This storm is dumping tons of water If your  in it's path stand by.

More later, Andy

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
i just saw the news and heard that 11 people have died because of fay, that is terrible im gonna be prying for them

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »
Well we are finally back to an even keel. I would say normal but with all this rain that will take me awhile to get back to. I can tell I lost a ton of fish. Today I was walking the yard and I found ANOTHER 4 Bream as well as several small fry from this years hatch. I also netted up about 2 dozen mosquito fish. ( anyone got any Killifish they want to send me?) My water is very tanic and DIRTY. I have been using my pool net to clean up the floating debris. My neighbors are driving by and shaking their heads wondering why I am even bothering. That was the single worst storm we have ever had  in the last 6 years I have lived here. It will take a few days to clear up well enough to know that real damage was done. Here are a couple of pictures just before it got real bad, Notice you cannot even see the pond, the dock etc.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Tropical Storm Fay With Pictures added
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 08:02:07 PM »
That's just tragic Andy, and I'm sorry for the loss of your fish  :'(  We have heavy rains here every few years and where the creeks converge on our property it just backs up clear to the front steps of the house:  that's why my pond is tucked into a little corner that's never flooded.  I would have to build an above ground pond to be high enough not to lose fish. 

I truly feel for you--it's no fun to watch the water rising toward the thing that has brought you such satisfaction and joy  o(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline rdrboone

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 06:42:04 AM »
I am so very sorry about your beautiful pond and the loss of your fish.  Having lived in FL most of my life, I know how quickly areas in FL can flood.

Hope the pond did not suffer too much permanent damage.

Ruth o(  o(  o(
Ruth

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
 :'( So sorry for your fishies.  Hope all dries out for you soon!

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
Thanks for the good thoughts  O0 looks like the bridge and Dock got messed up somehow and some of the footing by the bridge washed out  This is going to be a chore. Maybe I am better off just filling in th hole and be done with it. I am sick to the very core of my soul over this. I pumped it down  to drain off the excess and what did I get for it? MORE rain this morning.... Ugh. Don't get me wrong I am VERY grateful for not having a flooded house or some other major damage to my house as others have here. God has been kind where that is concerned.  :thinking: now that I think about it maybe he is telling me I just need a BIGGER pond :thinking:  LOL
Andy
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:14:36 PM by El Jefe »

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 01:37:51 PM »
I am sure you will have an even better pond now.  Glad you and yours were unscathed.
Hey send us some water!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"