Author Topic: chip implants in Mexico  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
chip implants in Mexico
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:03:01 AM »

Terrified Mexicans splash out on chip implants so satellites can trace them if they're kidnapped
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:26 AM on 23rd August 20
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1048129/Terrified-Mexicans-splash-chip-implants-satellites-trace-theyre-kidnapped.html

Middle-class families in Mexico are having tiny transmitters implanted under their skin so that satellites can track them if they are kidnapped.

Sales of the device have jumped by 13 per cent this year after kidnappings surged by almost 40 per cent in the country between 2004 and 2007.

The crystal-encased chip, which is the size and shape of a grain of rice, is injected into clients' bodies with a syringe.

A transmitter in the chip sends radio signals to a device, carried by the client, with a global positioning system in it, say makers Xega. A satellite can then pinpoint the kidnap victim's location.

Detractors say the chips, which cost £2,000 plus an annual fee of £1,100, give a false sense of security.

Mexico ranks with conflict zones such as Iraq and Colombia as among the worst countries for abductions.

One client, Cristina, 28, who did not want to give her last name, said: 'It's not like we are wealthy, but they'll kidnap you for a watch. Everyone is living in fear.'

The recent kidnapping and murder of Fernando Marti, 14, the son of a well-known businessman, sparked an outcry in a country already hardened to crime.

Most kidnappings in Mexico go unreported, many of them cases of 'express kidnapping' where the victim is grabbed and forced to withdraw money from automatic cash machines.

Official statistics show 751 kidnappings in the country last year, but the independent crime research institute ICESI says the number could have exceeded 7,000.

Xega, based in the central Mexican city of Quererato, designed global positioning systems to track stolen vehicles until a company owner was kidnapped in broad daylight in 2001.

Frustrated by his powerlessness to call for help, the company adapted the technology to track stolen people.

Most people get the chips injected into their arms between the skin and muscle where they cannot be seen.

Customers who fear they are being kidnapped press a panic button on an external device to alert Xega, which then calls the police.

'Before, they only kidnapped key, well-known economically successful people like industrialists and landowners. Now they are kidnapping people from the middle class,' said Sergio Galvan, Xega's commercial director.

Katherine Albrecht, a U.S. consumer privacy activist, says the chip is a flashy, overpriced gadget that only identifies a person and cannot locate someone without another, bigger GPS device that kidnappers can easily find and destroy.

She said fear of kidnapping was driving well-off Mexicans to buy a technology that had yet to prove useful.

'They are a prime target because they've got money and they've got a worry and you can combine those two and offer them a false sense of security which is exactly what this is,' she said.

President Felipe Calderon has come under heavy pressure to stamp out violent crime. He hosted a meeting on Thursday of security chiefs and state governors.

Outside of Mexico, U.S. company VeriChip Corp uses similar radio-wave technology to identify patients in critical condition at hospitals or find elderly people who wander away from their homes.

Xega sees kidnapping as a growth industry and is planning to expand its services next year to Brazil, Colombia and Venezuela.

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: chip implants in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
My neighbor is going down to Guadalajara next week to visit her cousin.  Her cousin's husband has been quite successful in the shoe business and the family is very concerned about kidnappings and are considering moving here to the U.S. and running the business from here. 

Out in the Palm Springs area they have had so many thefts of large golden barrel cactus that they are now considering implanting these expensive cacti with chips......  What a world we live in......

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
Guadalajara was my home town. 
My pals wife went to high School in Mexico city. On a recent 50 yr reunion they were advised NOT to take cabs for the event  . Private pick-ups were the order of the day.  Sad.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »
Hey, that's how we can keep track out our teenagers. Thank goodness I don't have one.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
yeah sad
where i live it is still a nice town, no kiddnappes still, but yeah people that live in mexico city are diffrent than people that live outta the big city, i wonder why so many kiddnapped people there, maybe because they have like lots of millions living there wow, you will be amazed of that, i have never been there but not really wanting to go, i have been in guadalajara it is a nice city, but yeah not really thinking about going to mexico city maybe cancun or merida yucatan fo sho lol, but yeah still sad
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »
A 14 yo boy was kidnapped and murdered recently in Mexico City.  His father is an extremely wealthy businessman and the boy was taken while on the way to school in a private car with a bodyguard and a driver.  They killed the bodyguard or the driver, forget which, and thought they had killed the other one but he survived.  They didn't release the info that he had survived and he identified the kidnappers as high ranking police.  The family paid the ransom, don't know how much but probably millions, but they had already killed the boy.  This is a horrible, horrible story. 

If there is a bright side, and I think there is, it is that the country is so appalled and angry over this that there is a general uprising for change and to make the laws tougher.  Mexico has no death penalty and no life without parole but these things are being discussed for kidnappers and for police who are involved.  There are a lot of political discussions going on, committees and all that but perhaps, in the memory of this boy, and also perhaps driven by his wealthy father, change may happen.  There is a march on the 30th of this month in many cities in Mexico and even in the rest of the world.  It will happen in Houston and a couple of other cities in the US and some cities in Europe.  The organizers have said that politicians are NOT INVITED, they ask that people wear white, carry a candle and walk silently.  I intend to be at the one in Mérida if I can find it.  There is one in Cancun but we are over here and so far I haven't found the location here. 

In general, kidnappers target wealthy locals not tourists.  They research the victims family and know what they can expect to get from them.  This kind of thing isn't happening over here where I am but if nothing is done I'm sure it will become more prevalent here too.   The situation with police down here has gotten a little better in many areas but in places like Mexico City it is very bad.  It's a sad statement but most crime is not reported because most people do not trust the police.   In general I am very positive about my adopted country but I am not one to put my head in the sand, there are significant problems here as well and the police situation is one of them.  As a retired cop, it pains me no end when I encounter a crooked one.   That rarely happens to me here in the Yucatan but is more common in other areas.  I have never paid a bribe and hope I can continue that.  I will admit though that if the situation were really dire, I would pay.   So far, acting outraged (it's not really acting) and just pretending not to understand them has worked.  I have also a couple of times showed them my retired ID and told them they should show more pride in their badge.  That was several years ago though, I don't do that now.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »
I recall reading that earlier this month a top Mexican police commander from Baja was arrested in Los Angeles along with his wife, another Mexican police officer and a Mexican national during a drug raid.  They were in possession of $500,000.  They said that just prior to his arrest, two of his deputy commanders were shot to death in Mexico.

I'm afraid the corruption in the police runs pretty deep....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »
In 1950 I went to Tijuana on a sales trip with my father. I was 20 and just tagging along.
He parked where he wanted to.  A cop was waiting at the car.  My father promptly paid him.  said. "have a beer on me."  when we came back sometime later, the cop was there with a friend.  he said, "he likes beer too!"
I was young and naive. My Father said that this was the way it is.

Jonna I am glad you live n a good place and are safe.
I am told Tiajuana is pretty much off limits these days. Rife with corruption.
it was once a fun outing.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
I know this is about Mexico, here in the states, I have contemplated chipping Jamie.
She even told me she had no problem with it. She gets terrified watching the news.
Seems like every day you hear of another young girl kipnapped, raped, murdered and dumped.  :'(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
I thought about it when my children were young. They came out with a pair of childrens shoes that had tracking devices in them a few years ago, all I could think about was how fast a pervert would lose them, you would have to find the child fast. It is a shame about Mexico.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
yeah it is shame, but some cops still do it because mexican government and its corruptions, they paid to those cops the minimum and so how do they get more money for their families doing something corrupt, im gald my family and all my friends arent this way, i have an uncle and a cousin that are lawers and all the time i talked to them they tell me how disgusting this things are and btw they have tried to do something to change it, you know it is still the minority but a change starts by a small movement, like just letting you know the mexicans that went to the olympic games went there because they actually paid that by themselves because mexican government didnt give them anything not even a coin, and the sport association kept all the money for themselves i feel disgust by this government employees that all they think is a way to keep money for themselves, whenever there are people starving in the streets, people moving north for better future and a way to give some food to their families i still cant believe there is still people that dont care who do they have to kill just to keep more money or getting more whelthier, that is just ugh i hate it, and mexicans drug dealers i dont care as long as they just sell it but some gangs have had actually started to get into the society and started to ask for money from them whenever they werent even into the drugs, and that makes me so mad, at the same time makes me wanna kill someone sorry, but yeah i fell useless because i cant help a bit, but as the scientist still say human being are still animals

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
I've seen backpacks with gps and alarms, as well as a bra with the same.  The bra was a bit bulky, but as technology improves I'm sure it'll slim down.  Sad that anything like this is even needed  >:(-

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
a girl got kiddnapped i just heard in the news her dad is a goverment employee, just talking about it and it happened again

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
The closest I have is her cell phone, it has Chaperone.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
I got an email from an old friend in Vegas. She says your car keys should be on your night stand, not in a drawer.  if you hear an intruder, push the panic button!  Hopefull the car honking and blinking may send him running
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
That is a GREAT idea and I am going to tell my mom that!  8) O0 {-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »
I think the lack of trust in the police really cripples a society.  If there is no one you can call for help and no one who is trying to be impartial then society quickly becomes very inwardly focused and kind of gives up on things getting better.  It may contribute to the importance of the family here, there is no one you can really count on except your family.  It is true that police are paid very low wages and often they are expected to make the balance of what they need to survive from the citizens.  Many years ago Mexicans would say to me "why should we pay the police, let the criminals pay them".   It has a certain logic to it but the reality is that if the criminals pay then they can continue to be criminals and too often it is the regular people who pay even more.  BTW, I haven't heard anyone say that in many, many years. 

I think that the realization that it doesn't work is everywhere but no one knows how to change it.  Adding to the problem, the narcos have such obscene amounts of money and are so violent that there is often little choice.  There is a saying in Spanish, plata o plomo which means silver or lead and implies that if you don't take the bribe you will be killed.  It used to be they only took revenge on the person involved but lately it seems they are also killing their wives, children, mothers and fathers, cousins, whatever will hurt the most and cause the next guy to agree faster.   

The US has a HUGE responsibility in all this as these obscene amounts of money are coming from the market for drugs in the US and the guns used to do all this killing are also coming in huge quantities from the US.  It's not a problem Mexico can really solve on its own although there are those in the US that would like to wash their hands of the killings down here.  One of the left wing political parties suggested the other day that Mexico just legalize all drugs, stop taking the money for drug abatement from the US (most of which goes in someones pocket) and let them haul 18 wheelers full of dope to the border if they wanted.  Then, the US would be on it's own trying to deal with the drug problem it has.  The killings would be up north where many believe they belong.  I'm not saying I agree with this although I do see the logic in it and understand the emotion behind it. 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
Well said jonna.
We have people here who indulge in drugs and they are the problem.  Lock 'em up?  Often a victimless crime and most users want a fix and are not violent.  What to do?
Border security and massive puishment to the culprits that deal this stuff.  The cost to American society is massive. {nono} :'(
Just thinking outloud here, but sure as heck the politicos can't solve it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 04:06:50 PM »
wow yeah i was going to said that about some americans using the drugs but i didnt want to get in trouble you know, anyhow i heard once that mexico tried to legalize drugs but some narco actually killed those peoples because if drugs get legalized in mexico they will lose all the amount of millions they were going to have and yeah the cops wages are very low, so narco is so involved in this country as it is in the whole world just look at colombia, and i believe if we make people stop buying drugs, wich will be impossible, narco will finaly have to end it up, but yeah i hope one day people in the world will live in a perfect place,   joanna did you see in the news about the girl that got kiddnapped in mexico city the family put a biggo banner in mexico city in the walls of a big skyscrapper im speechless, so, hope human beings someday will care about each other just as god said, no matter what race you are, what color your eyes are, or even if you have the most modern ipod that just came out, but still humans minds arent that improved, we recognize bad from wrong but the wrong way is always more easy to walk in, not like the good way that is always so narrow and difficult to walk in, i wish some people  here in mexico stop being so naive and start claiming what they deserve, because we all have rights as a human being and not just in this country but in this world, we have the same rights no matter what we are, we can be a child, a teenager, an adult, a man, a woman we all have the same rights i wish mexico will speak up and stop this crap, i wish the world speaks up and it would say stop all the wars you are hurting me and at the same time hurting your fellow neighboors, so this is what i think
joanna you know a lot about this country and how it has been driven by the wrong people, so hope you love this country so much too, and if you have kids, family or friends here speak up too, because youre as well mexican as everyone that lives in this land, because this is what the mexicans amendemnts stand for, as soon as you step in mexican land youre gonna be treated as a citizen, and you have the same rights as any mexican

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
Howell, you are wise beyond your years! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"