Author Topic: visitor to one of the lily ponds  (Read 1080 times)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
visitor to one of the lily ponds
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
Jeez, I've tried 3 times, or maybe it's 4 times to post this.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong...
I don't think they eat fish, but they do tear up lilies trying to get out!  It's either a peacock or peahen, peahen I think.  She's sitting in the tangerine tree drying out now.
Tammie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: visitor to one of the lily ponds
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
Holy cow, I didn't know they swam. I thought they were a totally land fowl. So do they run wild around you?

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
Yep, they are wild.  Right now there are 2 "mommy" hens, each with 2 babies.  This was one of the babies.  The mom stuck around yelling for a while, then she left.  These babies are on their own now, so I'm not worried about the "swimmer".  It seemed like she was waterlocked - couldn't get out of the pond even tho she was standing on one of the lily pots and was completely out of the water.  I guess her feathers were just so wet she couldn't fly.  Not that they're good flyers anyways... Seems they're only good for screaming and running across the barn roofs, scareing the horses.  Supose to taste like chicken, but I'm not going to find out! lol
Tammie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:31:48 PM »
That would make sense she was waterlogged. I saw a robin once in my birdbath that was so wet, it almost couldn't get airborn. They are noisey things. Or at least the males are. Do the females yell the "help" sound?

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:13:02 AM »
Very cool!  I love to see the wildlife far away from the good 'ole Midwest  ::)

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »
Yep, they make the "help" sound, and alot of other sounds... They really are a pain in the b**t for us.  Especially when the males are fighting for the females! 
Tammie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"