Author Topic: I must be buying pumps at the wrong place/new info added  (Read 1585 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I must be buying pumps at the wrong place/new info added
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »
The guy who built my pond bought the pump a Home Depot.  It did not last but a few months.  I was able to get them to replace it as it had a 1 year warrenty.  That one lasted, humm, about a 1 year and a half.  I bought a more expense pump at Home Depot that may have lasted close to 2 years.  This weekend it went out.   :(

The guy who built my pond had only built preform ponds, mine was the first liner pond he had done.  I think he did a good job on the pond.  But after he put in the pump I ask about him installing a filter in front of the pump.  He did not think it was needed.  I discovered halfway into the job he was not on the internet either.  I was shocked about this.  {nono} Suggested he might want to do that to see what others were doing with their ponds. 

I am going to search past post on pump.  There was something posted earlier this year I think on pumps that was suggested as being a good choice and was on sale at that time.  I thought about getting it at the time but you know, I did not need it then.  If anyone has a suggestion, I am open to ideas. 

Myra
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:11:10 PM by small fish »
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I must be buying pumps at the wrong place
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:31 AM »
I can't imagine not having a prefilter on the pump. Mine sits in a box that is both my skimmer and mechanical filter before the pump. I would think that sucking stuff through the pump, even though it might be they type that is made to handle trash/solids, it would be harder on the pump to have to grind up the stuff to move it. Is your filter after the pump then? You can make your own prefilter of course. Check the DIY section here.

Gene at Koi Village http://www.koivillage.com/ will work with you if you want to call him. He has a good reputation and is knowledgeable.  If you look around, you can find different pumps and then set up a comparison list. You will find differences in the electricity it takes to move your water and of course the prices and other things.

Don't forget to think about protecting your pond with either a built in shut off float valve or a separate one so that when your water level gets low, your pump won't burn up or your pond get pumped low. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:37:40 AM by Esther »

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:41:49 AM »
Yes, Esther, that was my thoughts concerning the filter.  I made sense to me a filter before the pump would extend the life of the pump.  Thanks for the infor on things to consider on picking out a new pump.  I need to get in a hurry in buying one.

Myra

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:51:07 AM »
PondMaster pumps are supposed to be a very good pump. I get mine at AZ Ponds. Home Depot carries Little Giant pumps. Those things are garbage.

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
I use a Beckett pump. I change it every 2 years. That seems about the average for submersible pumbs.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »
I have three submersible pumps (Danner mfg. Pondmaster) that have been running 5+ years.  Have had other Pondmaster pumps that lasted years.  Parts are also easily available.  I also have a Sequence out of pond pump that has been running 12+ years with only occasional cleaning.  Gave up on Little Giant 20 years ago, but I hear they have improved.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
Little Giant and Beckett both suck.

My first Pondmaster lasted over five years and would still be running today most likely if we had taken better care of it.  ::)

I found Gene at Koi Village to have the best prices.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »
I have a little giant one, got it from hd, it has lasted like a year and a half still working good, one time even lost all its water form the skimmer and it didnt burn, so happy nothing happen so im thinking about using the float valve that esther showed me but i have been in a real hurry in school, so i havent had time, whenever i go to lowes i think i am going to look for a bigger pump though my bro said he was going to buy it so lol
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »
Thanks ya'll for the input  :o

Myra

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:00:14 PM »
The last one I bought for my falls was a pondmaster.  So far I haven't even had a clog this year.  I got it from AZ ponds in April.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:03:50 PM »
Beckett pump are garbage. I'm using two Harbor Freight pumps. One is the 1585 GPH that I've had for five years. It quit working after three years but that was my fault. I put in a new armature and gave it a second life. The other pump is the 1268 GPH and I've not had any problems with it. IMHO, the pump is only as good as the prefilter. The 1585 GPH has a home-made skimmer basket to prefilter and it pumps the water to the plant filter. The 1268 GPH is using the sponge that came on it. I am trying to figure a new prefilter for it though since it is pumping through a fountain. It clogs way to fast.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »
I got two of those Bonnie had early in the season and haven't had any problems with those either. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »
Ok, after reading and comparing I am looking at the Laguna with 2900 GPH, 130 watts, 3 yr warrent at a cost of $180.  Any one see any glaring problems with this.  My pond is about 2200 gals with 2 waterfalls. I am planing on adding a pre filter with the new pump. 

Myra

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"