Author Topic: Do algae chemicals KILL algae or simply "control" it?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do algae chemicals KILL algae or simply "control" it?
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »
I got a little freebie chunk of anachras, and lo and behold, it had string algae on it.  Luckily, I did not put this plant into my pond, but it has introduced string algae into the 30 gal tub it's in.  I'm freaking out, worrying that the algae will somehow find it's way into my pond.

Question:  If I use a chemical produce like Algae Control, that says it makes the algae fall down to the bottom of the pond, does that KILL all the algae, or will some spores or seedlings or fine hairs still remain in the pond, that will come to life later?

What about algae stuck to the anachras or to the mosaic plant, or to the vips in their little plastic cups that are incubating in the 30 gal tub?

Should I totally break down the tub and scrub with Chlorox? 

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do algae chemicals KILL algae or simply "control" it?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:10:39 AM »
Read the fine print and see what else it kills. Birds, Dogs, and don't get it on your hands......Causes cancer, not for use in CA etc. Keep that stuff out of the pond.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:31:08 AM »
It doesn't kill your fish or pond plants if you use it as directed. Try not to get it on your skin. Or wash quickly if you do. It helps you control algae in your pond by killing the algae. Usually it doesn't need to be used several times. I use it maybe 2-3 times when the string algae starts trying to take over. It's the only way I can keep it from choking my pond. I'm not joking. There was a time when I was working when the SA got so bad that the pond was almost solid with it and the fish were making tunnels in it. Again I'm not joking. Oh yes, I did have barley straw in my Skippy. But maybe hadn't put it in early enough. DH and I got in the pond and began the "Twirl and Hurl" dance. We twirled our hands around near the bottom to try to snag the SA and then we squeeze the water out and hurled the SA into a bucket sitting on the shore. We spent a couple of hours doing that. REALLY!!! So never again will I wait so long to use an algaecide.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:48:57 AM by Esther »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:46:19 AM »
I've read more posts than I ever wanted to over the years by people who did kill their fish and plants with Algae Fix.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:50:14 AM »
That is why I warned to follow the directions carefully. Maybe some people have trouble computing the amount of chemical to use.

Heck I killed my floating plants with salt. Thought I was doing a good thing for the fish.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
the "twirl and hurl" dance lol
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
I do not advocate algacides,  in the past however I have used them myself, but truely do believe paitience and plants, plants plants are the best way.   But as Esther said if used properly in amount, with extra airation, not in the extreme heat of the day or at night when O2 is at it's lowest, and removing as much of the dead algae with vacuuming and water change, plants and fish can be safe.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »
I feel sorry for the wildlife drinking from the pond with the poison. It does kill birds and insects and DOGS etc. (just read the label) Salt will only harm the floating plants. just remove them for a week. Salt to .3 on a digital meter for 7 days and do some water changes.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »
It doesn't seem to kill them as long as the directions are followed. My poodle drinks from my pond all the time and is 4 years old. 

I suspect it might be like certain vitamins. Taking the recommended dose is safe. Overdosing on it isn't.

There is no reason to have to dose a pond constantly with chemicals as long as they are careful to not overload it with fish, as long as they have adequate bio bugs, etc. I used barley straw, liquid barley, and barley pellets. Nothing seemed to control the SA. I finally resorted to about 3 doses of an algaecide back in June and I no longer have SA running rampant.

I am not advocating using chemicals all the time in the pond. Just saying to use them infrequently and safely.

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »
I feel sorry for the wildlife drinking from the pond with the poison. It does kill birds and insects and DOGS etc. (just read the label) Salt will only harm the floating plants. just remove them for a week. Salt to .3 on a digital meter for 7 days and do some water changes.

Yeah, push the panic button.  Anything used improperly will kill something.  Algae Fix has never killed anything in my pond except the algae.  There is no lack of bugs, birds, cats or deer from drinking the water.  Nothing like lumping everyone into the same group when there are always a few that can't, and won't follow directions on the bottle.

Bart

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:58:28 PM »

so when you do your water changes where do you go with the water, not that great for the grass or plants I would think? 
Her secret is patience.

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »
Ester is right--if you follow the directions Algae Fix doesn't hurt anything but the algae. It starves the algae of oxygen and causes no harm to plants or birds or anything else. If your pond doesn't have proper areation, water temps are too high or it is overstocked--then it can kill fish.

I finally resorted to using it for string algae this spring--my only regret is that because of all the scarry warnings--I waited so long to use it. I agree for an algae bloom, like pea soup, it isn't needed and should be avoided. But, if I have string algae next spring like I did this spring--I will use it without hesitation,
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »
wow, what a very interesting thread.  I'm glad I posted the question, 'cause I've learned a lot.

In my personal case, thank God I am only dealing with a tiny teeny amount of string algae in a 30 gallon tub, not in my pond.  My goal is to keep it OUT of the pond, and I think I have been successful, by dumping the tub, scrubbing with bleach, rinsing thoroughly, and moving the whole thing to a location far from the pond.  I just hope no spores or no tiny bits made their way to the main pond.

Offline cokeisit

• Members
  • With us since: 17/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »
GreenClean is also an excellent algaecide for string algae that will not harm plants, fish and pets once added to the water.  GreenCLean will oxidize the cells of the algae causing it to die and then the products breaks down into oxygen and water shortly thereafter, so it doesnt leave behind any residual chemical.  When using an algaecide, I strongly recommend following it up with pond bacteria to elp break down the dead algae.  Bottom line is that even if you kill the algae off, if you dont get it out of the pond, it will fuel more algae.

We actually sell a package of greenclean and bacteria together as do many others.
Pond Supplies by Natural Environmental Systems

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 03:20:01 PM »
Marla, the water changes go on the grass. I still have ants, worms, robins, bees, etc, etc, etc. YOU ARE NOT POURING STRAIGHT CHEMICALS ON YOUR LAWN. You do not have to dispose of your pond water in a toxic waste dump. I am more afraid of the lawn care chemicals (fertilizer, weed killer) getting in my pond or well than this tiny bit of stuff I have used in my pond.

That Greenclean sounds like a good way to go.

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
No Esther I wasn't talking about the Algacide I was wondering about the salt, I can't think that a water change on the flower garden with water that contains salt would be to good, but then maybe it is diluted enough.
Her secret is patience.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"