Author Topic: Amazing carrot Clarinet video and Clarinet questions (Hey Reedman!)  (Read 1237 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
My daughter has chosen to play the Clarinet in her school Band.  O0 So of course, I searched YouTube for examples she can listen to and get a feel for the sound. I found this AMAZING video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M
The Description:
Linsey Pollak drills out a carrot and turns it into a clarinet and plays it, live looping with a Boss RC20 to record 3 layers....from his solo show "Making Jam"

Stay with it. In the beginning the man is drilling holes into a carrot... but what he does with it afterwards is fantastic.

Does anyone else play Clarinet here? I know Reedman does. I've got this old Clarinet that I used in High School, but it hasn't seen any use or care for almost 25 years. Can it be fixed? The overhaul "starts" at 200.00, but I don't know what the Clarinet is worth. Might I do better just renting or buying a new one? Gah.
I mean, I know that all the seals are replaced and all that, but what if the wood is cracked and all dried out?

I think Laura will do great in band, I just don't want to start her off with a piece of junk.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing carrot Clarinet video and Clarinet questions (Hey Reedman!)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »
Cool video.

If that clarinet hasn't been played in 25 years, I would buy a new student clarinet for Laura instead.  The old one would need a complete repad job - several hundred $ for just that.

Should be able to get one for under $300, maybe even rent-to-own.  Check the newspaper for people selling instruments - almost that time of year when parents whose kids have stopped playing are looking to sell off instruments.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
Loved that video Karen!
Sometimes I get nostalgic and wish I could still play my clarinet, but its in sad shape and like yours, probably not worth fixing up.  I would have loved to have a daughter to play.  It will be fun for you to watch her learn.  You can still get yours out and play a few scales with her as she learns.  I had two boys, they played drums and trombone.  I did use mine once in a parent's skit when our boys were in band.
Good advice from Reedman, he sure knows his stuff!

Karen

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »
Reedman, thanks for your input, and you are exactly right. I just got the quote tonight from www.qandf.com (Quinlan & Fabish). It's going to be 310.00 to do the overhaul (crack in Bell and a chip in a whadayacallit). Thing is, I couldn't afford that kind of quality if I bought new (Buffet R13 circa 1966). The school sent home a loaner and it's kind of ... errr... weak. And made of plastic resin stuff!

Indy Karen, You never know! I only hope that the wood clarinet has survived my torture. It just about killed my lungs trying to play that old thing. I'm a pianist by nature and nurture.  o(:-) I am willing to re-learn clarinet if it means playing with my Laura.

One thing that the gal from Q&F said was that at some point in storage, there was an infestation of Weevils. I searched online and the closest thing I found (that would infest a clarinet case) was Carpet Bugs. Apparently, they infest the case and eat the pads - especially if it is stored in a dark closet for many years (bingo here). Eww. They said no matter what, I'd need a new case.

Well, the school will let her borrow the Yamaha plastic resin clarinet for as long as she needs for now (they had a dropout). I tried it out and it's not all that awful. If need be, I'll hit up my Sister for her fancy pro model she used in college. She doesn't know that yet...  :D

I think Laura has always had a song in her heart, and she'd be perfect for this instrument. I have all my old books for her, but suspect the new stuff
is much better.

Thanks, Reedman!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
You're welcome karen j.

My first clarinet was a 1974 Buffet R13 - still have it, but it is really beat up.  It would take 100's$ to overhaul it - not worth it for only a spare.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »
I play flute.  At least, I DID play flute, in high school.  But it's in the closet, and it still plays.

My sister gave away her daughter's instrument on Freecycle.com.  Besides giving things away, you can also post a "Wanted" request for something.  Go to Freecycle.com, and find your city.  If it's a large city, look for the area nearest you.

You can also try Craig's List.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 05:31:06 PM »
That video is just awesome. O0 I also watched the latex glove bag pipe video. LOL!  ;D

I played the clarinet in school. I wasn't very good at it either and I hated the fact that there was probably 25 +/- clarinet players in band and I was close to the very last chair. ::) So......my band teacher suggested that I switch to the Bassoon.  Now that is an awesome instrument and I rocked at playing it. Sat first chair all through high school and played some community symphony after high school. I also played the bass clarinet when needed, its a hoot too. o(:-)
I gave it up after I got married and I really wish I hadn't as I would love to still be playing the bassoon.
Its not worth it many times to try to overhaul a basket case instrument. They often continue to have problems such as sticky keys, loosing key pads, swelling, etc. Your daughter would most likely get frustrated so I think it would be best to find her something new or in much better shape.
She might also consider learning some of the other woodwinds if she enjoys playing. There are so many clarinet players and competition is tough.
Anyway, my point is.....if she likes playing, let her try other instruments if she wants to. Sometimes a person can work and work at playing a particular instrument and never really excel at it but then try a different one and take off like a race horse.  :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"