Author Topic: The pondlet  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The pondlet
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
did very well this summer, but the beta seems to be gone . . . .  :'(  DD#1 is not too happy about that.  She is determined to get a much bigger ceramic pot for next year because then "that stupid raccoon can't get my fish!"

(Don't know if the raccoon got the beta or not . . . it was there and happy just a couple of weeks ago.  It may have died of old age . . . . we've had it for at least 3 or 4 years now.  The one we got at the same time as we got it died last spring - of old age.)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: The pondlet
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:05:19 PM »
Teresa, I have found out how many of my Betta's have disappeared. :(
Have you ever seen birds sitting on the rim of your pondlet?
Well, I see Cat Birds, Mocking Birds, Blue Jays, Tutfted Titmice
and all sorts of other birds sitting on the rims of my container ponds.
I always thought they were going for bugs and/or getting a drink.

Nope, saw the catbird snatch up my turquoise betta about 2 weeks ago.
It was the Andreana pot, and I was looking at it blooming through the dining room window.
The catbird flew down, perched on the rim and stood stock still for a few moments,
cocked his head a little to the side, and I thought he has spied me in the window.
But no, he was looking at the betta and then pecked it right out from between the Andreana pads,
where the betta was probably sunbathing, peeking his head out from between the pads.
The catbird tossed the betta back down his throat, a lot like a little heron. :(

I was always wondering why the pads of my Joanne Pring, N. pygmaea and Andreana had peck holes in them. ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
Well now, that's a definite possibility.  I haven't seen the catbirds at the pondlet, but we have them.  I haven't seen the bluejays there either, but we have them too.  I have seen the cardinals and the tufted titmice there and several other birds.  The cats drink from there, but they've never messed with the fish.  (Billy did catch and de-tail a northern flicker, but I took it away from him and let it go . . . lost a lotta feathers, but I think it was ok). 

Too bad too, the beta made it all summer. 

Next year, I may get some hardware cloth and put it across the top and let the plants grow thru it.  That way the fish will be safe . . . .

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Betta...

I think next season tossing in a few piranha adults would be more interesting. &-)

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 03:41:27 PM »
Um yeah, I think I like that idea . . . just have to get the kids to keep their hands out . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"