Author Topic: The fish are in for the winter  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Red

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The fish are in for the winter
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
I finally broke down and brought my goldfish in... 8 feeders and 2 shubs.  It looks like we will be headed for sub zero (C) temps for the next week or so. 

Once again they did a great job on the skeeter population so I'll try to drag them throough another winter. 

But HOLY COW!!  they all at least doubled in size!  I kinda figured the 10 gal tank wasn't going to make it and wrangled a 40 gal tank from a neighbor but it's pretty full of fish already.  I will add a couple pics here when I get the lights working.

As for the pond I guess I'll have to haul the pump out this weekend and say good bye for another 6 or 7 month stretch.  "Winterizing" for me means I clean it out as best I can but winter see a ton of junk from trees sift in so I don't get too carried away 'til spring.  I do drop the water level a foot or so too.

See y'all later!
Jim

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 06:58:17 PM by Red »

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The fish are in for the winter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »
Where are you located Jim and how deep is the pond? Goldfish are fairly tough and mine have made it through several winters outside in my 33" deep pond in zone 5. Looking forward to seeing the pics  :).
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Red

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 07:07:22 PM »
Hey Croft,
Northern BC here (Prince George).  We are Zone 3 but I am in denial and push to Zone 4 (with limited success).  The locals tell me we need a depth of 4 feet to winter the goldies.  Our pond is 30" at it's deepest but I am considering another dig now that we have the yard fenced.  Last year one chap I know accidentally overwintered a couple in a 24" pond but I don't think I'd bank on it on a regular basis.

Where are you?  We had a tour through the Marrittimes years ago.  An awesome week but not half long enough.

Jim

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »
woohoo red.. nice looking fishies.  wonder what size "tank" you will have to upsize to next year to keep them..

tinkster

Offline Red

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:21:53 PM »
LOL tink
No kidding tho!  I might have to cull the population and find a deep pond to smuggle them into ;)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:09:10 AM »
Brought my fish in for the winter last night. Kinda hated to do it, but better to do it now with pretty nice weather than later in the bitter cold.
Last year I found myself in your situation, and bought a 100 gal stock tank. I use a dustpan waterfall and an airator.
That is what they live in now for the winter. Still seems small to me.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »
Hi Red..I'm in New Brunswick and we've had 2 or 3 frosty nights lately so this weekend I hope to put the pond and fish to bed for the winter. I guess in zone 3 (or 4  :)) you will need to go deeper than me to overwinter your fish safely! Good luck with the new dig. Nice pics of your fish. I wish I had a shubunkin.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:26:12 PM »
Nice looking Shubs, Jim and they look quite happy in their new home. I'm sure glad I don't have to bring mine in. It's enough work keeping the tropicals alive and starting the Victoria seeds indoor. Last winter was milder than normal down here and I got lucky with a few tropical land plants I forgot to bring in.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"