Author Topic: Growing N. minuta  (Read 1661 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Growing N. minuta
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »
I've joined WGI's mailing list and am now involved with a group of people, including our own Sean, in growing N. minuta, a dwarf tropical water lily. I've seen pics of the seeds sprouting and mine looked like the pics as of yesterday, so I potted them. I used peat pots and the soil mixture that I use on all my plants. I planted two seeds per pot, since they all sprouted. That gave me ten pots with at least two seeds each. That equals a lot of dwarf water lilies. Anyhow, now I wait. This is what they look like now.

I will post new pics as something develops.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Growing N. minuta
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
That is so cool!

Can't wait to see what they do for you!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »
Good Luck!  O0  I would love to see your results and photo updates!

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »
I too have some comming for me and I was wondering how I could store them thill next spring . Anybody know ??

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
Joey, if you are getting them from Walter Pagels, you will get wet seeds and dry seeds. If you are wanting to store the wet seeed until next year, I think that you have to put them in water and store it in the fridge. If you want to store the plants that come from the wet seed, use an aquarium with a heater and a light.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:46:31 AM »
I started N. minuta seedling from Walter Pagels in 2005. I have grown them ever since. I winter mine over in aquariums in my basement. They do fine and even bloom in the winter. Here is a pic

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »
Wonderful little plant!  How big is it?

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »
Bloom no bigger than  the end of my thumb. Biggest leaves about size of a silver dollar. Some might be bigger. It is a great little lily. And we have Walter Pagel to thank because he is so generous with this tiny wonder.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »
Very neat.  I'd love to grow it.   o(:-)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »
that is a pretty one i would love to have one like that, can you see that in every post whenever i see lilies pics i say i want one, man im sorry i just cant control myself, this pond dissease has gotten into my veins and pretty much my whole body, anyhow this lilly is adorable @O@, love to see it growin
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
Howell, the good news is, the seeds you can get for free and can be shipped to Mexico. Bad news is, they are very small like radish seeds. Walter Pagels is the man that you need to talk to. He is on the mailing list for Victoria-Adventures.

Okay, it's been four days since I posted the pick and all ten peat pots have at least one leaf sticking out of the soil that is as big or a little bigger than a BB. I'm checking to see if a friend has a better camera than mine to see if I can get a good pic of them. I'm anticipating my first bloom now. o(:-)

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »
Okay, my wife and I went to a friends house to pick up some pool liner and get a pic made of some of the pots since she has an 8 megapixel camera and ours is only 3 mega pixels.

Here is what they look like after four days in soil. Remember, I planted as soon as they started sprouted.

More to come as the days pass.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:50 AM »
I am so happy N. minuta is growing for you. It took me a year to grow mine big enough to bloom. But I am in zone 6 and had to winter them over in my basement.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:45:54 PM »
Okay, time for another update. Below are pics from today. Some of the peat pots got placed in a 2-gallon bucket but most were placed in a green plastic wash tub. I checked the temps today and the white bucket was 97°F and the green tub was 92°F. The ones in the bucket are bigger, almost doubled the size of the others. Have a look.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"