Author Topic: What is this palm?  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
What is this palm?
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »
I didn't get an answer yet on the palm forum at GardenWeb and it occurred to me that we have just as smart plant people here (Joyce for one) so I'm putting the pics here too.

I wanted one of the lipstick palms, they didn't have one although they said they would in a month.  But, they had this one that is orange, really orange.  I asked the guy and he said it stayed orange in shade and sun and when mature.  I loved the color. I'm thinking of getting the 2 that he has, putting them in pots on the terrace where they would get bright light but no direct sun.  I'd just like to know what they are so I can read up on what they need.  This was at a different nursery, they don't have the latin names at this one but they did have a sign calling it a Bottle Palm.  In Spanish of course, so it actually read Palma Botella.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: What is this palm?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:43:52 PM »
I'm not a palm expert, but I would say it is Areca vestiaria: Orange Crownshaft Stilt Palm.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
Or maybe Hyophorbe verschafeltii.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »
Flame thrower palm????  Chanbeyronia  on second though it has red fronds.  Maybe when more mature?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:30:41 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »
Thanks guys.  Joyce, I spent a long time looking at both of those in various forms and I did find one pic of the Areca vestiaria when it was young and the leaf stems were the same orange.  On a lot of the pictures the leaves look different, flatter and wider.  I'm going to go back and find the owner and see if he knows more.  I think you are probably right though, it just may look different at different stages of growth.  I don't have to know exactly what it is but I would like to know what I can expect in growth and looks as it matures. 

I think they may have the label wrong, I found several bottle palms and none of them look even similar.  The Hyophorbe verschafeltii is related to the bottle palm though, so perhaps.  I didn't find any pictures with any color on the stems. 

Jerry, the Flame Thrower Palm Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri that I found doesn't look like this palm but it does look like another one I saw at the first nursery.   They said it was not for sale, that it belonged to the owner and was rare.  Perhaps rare here is not the same as elsewhere since it seems to be available in SoCal.  It had the most amazing new leaf, in a bright red/orange.  Here's the picture, now I believe it is a type of Chambeyronia.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
I am thinking it is:
http://rarepalm.com/images/inventory/Hyophorbe%20verschffeltii.jpg

I am with you and think the leaves on the Areca are too different, and fringed at the ends, where yours are not fringed.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »
There are so many palms that I'm not familiar with because they either aren't grown as houseplants or weren't grown in Phoenix when I worked in garden centers there.

I do know that I like it!

I love palms.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I think you got it Joyce  @O@  I found this info "Also, the petiole (leafstalk) is yellow, whereas the Bottle palm petiole will have shades of red."  here.  I'm happy that it says it is slow growing and good for potting.  I think I'm going to go back and buy one of them.  I was going to get 2 but now that I see all of these palms I like, I want room for a different kind. 

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »
Joyce, that site you linked to Rare Palm has some really cool palms on it.  I found another palm that was at this nursery and that I took a picture of to investigate.  Wow! I may have to have this one too.  Here's the pic I took

and here's a pic they had on their site of a big one. 

I just know that I am going to have more fun gardening here than I did in the desert or up in NoCal.  Hoo boy! I just hope it doesn't break the bank.  I need to buy some pots soon, so I can start getting some of these.  I have a good friend here, and she's a great gardener, who has offered to let me leave plants at her house if I need to.  I may need to. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:49:05 AM »
Love that one.  O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »
That last palm is a stunner!  Very different but so elegantly fanned.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »
I forgot to put the name Johannesteismania magnifica.  It was at the nursery that has good tags and latin names.  Yea, it's a beauty.  I thought it was pretty as small as it is and thinking it was a small house palm. I really need to go buy some large pots.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »
I love the one in the last photo, almost prehistoric.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
WOW...I really, really love that last one, Jonna!  You just have to get one of those.   O0

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
I checked when I was there today and they have 3 of them.  I'd rather wait to buy it until I can take it to the house so I didn't get one.  Soon, I hope.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »
here is a photo of the "Flame Thrower."  Striking!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:44 AM »
Wow! That is dramatic!  I love it.  I wonder how big it gets.  That seems to be my main mantra now, how big does it get?  I just don't have that much room.  That pesky pond and the necessary pool take up most of the yard.   ::)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
Jonna the Joey palm is really finicky.  You have to keep it in the shade, only dappled sun.  In almost 2 years mine has only grown a foot. 
Tammie

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 03:17:14 PM »
Hey Tammie!

I was thinking of putting it deep under a tree in the back and/or one inside under the skylights in the little pond.  It could be next to it too, I was going to look and see if it liked damp and then try it with the bottom of the pot in the pond.   I also have a couple of covered terraces that would be bright but no direct sun.  It may be a good thing if it grows slowly as it could grow to big for any of these spaces. 

I am having a hard time finding forums or info places about gardening in the tropics.  I find a ton of people growing tropicals in the cold north but most of their conversations involve how to create a suitable environment or how to keep them from dying over the winter.  I'd love to find somewhere that has info in English about just growing them outside in a warm environment but what particular things they need.  Lately I've been researching orchids and other epiphytes and tropical fish.  Do you know any other places I should look?  You are in a similar enough zone to mine that I'm always thrilled to see your comments.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »
The Garden Web has a "Hawaii" forum, but it's pretty slow.  I think the "taro" one is a little faster.  Sorry, I'm not much help... If I need help (always..) I just drive down the road!
Tammie

Offline MattyB

• Members
  • With us since: 05/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:54 PM »
Jonna,
Your mystery palm with the orange new leaves is not a palm at all but actually a Cycad, ya know like a Sego Palm, not a palm either but a Cycas sp.  I believe it's a Ceratozamia mexicana.  I'm not a Cycad expert so double check.  It might be a Zamia species too.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
Great info! I think you are right.  Here's the plant I saw at a local nursery:

and here's a pic of Ceratozamia mexicana:

Thanks.  I'll have to go back and see if he has any more.  That one was not for sale.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »
Jonna you might get a kick out of how I met Matt.  It is because we both got off topic in another forum (Actors Forum). One of the forum members complained we wasted his valuable time.
Looks like we are doing it again! LOL :offtopic:
Matt obviously has a lot of knowledge to share and is generous in doing so. Give him an "AP" welcome! :welcome:
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »
I cannot answer the mystery palm, but,, lol the one on the left is a queen sago the one on the right is a king sago, the one under the window is what we called a cardboard plant. Maybe the one in the middle is a flaming prince sago but that leads to another story.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:42 PM »
Welcome Matt!  I'm glad you joined us, you have a lot of knowledge.  Silly actors, they don't know what's interesting  {:-P;;

The cardboard fern in that pic above is really common here, it's used to clean water in the final stage of ecological septic systems and it gets huge, over 15' high on all the fertilizer!  For that reason, I'm not so thrilled with having one in the yard... bad associations I guess.  Of course, they also use bananas and even citrus along with elephant ears and other big leafed tropicals and I don't have the same aversion to those.

Offline MattyB

• Members
  • With us since: 05/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »
Sorry to correct you Reddad but I believe the one on the right front is a Dioon sp., w/ the cardboard palm Zamia furfuracea behind it.  The one one the left could very well be a Cycas like you said or Ceratozamia I can't tell.  I'm surprized I can even remember so much about Cycads.  They all look alike to me.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
Sorry to correct you Reddad but I believe the one on the right front is a Dioon sp., w/ the cardboard palm Zamia furfuracea behind it.  The one one the left could very well be a Cycas like you said or Ceratozamia I can't tell.  I'm surprized I can even remember so much about Cycads.  They all look alike to me.

I believe you mattyb but the planting arrangement and spacing makes me believe its a slow grower. I had many King sagos and it resembles it too closely to not mistake it for one. Look at the difference in the 2 plants on these websites.       http://www.sagopalms.com/             http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/species/dioon_edule.htm

Hard to argue with you on this one or maybe actually easy to argue :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"