Author Topic: Waiting for the hurricane, AGAIN!  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Waiting for the hurricane, AGAIN!
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »
It looks like Ike is going to follow the path that Gustav arrived on. :(

Sometime Saturday, somewhere between New Orleans and Brownsville...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for the hurricane, AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
The weather people are all excited about this one.  Hold on tight and keep the boots on!  Be careful!

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
Yeah, unless he puts his blinker on and turns a sharp left we are in the clear again.  I watched some news shows from the Cuban news and it looks really bad.  Also Haiti is awful and the Turks and Caicos got hit very bad.  I have a good friend who works on the Turks, she's a dive guide for the Club Med, but luckily she is in the US on vacation.  Well, she may not think it is so lucky as she has probably lost everything.  But, it's just stuff.  I saw a report that something like 80% of the buildings were heavily damaged or destroyed on Grand Turk.   Life in the tropics.  I can't imagine how they did it before satellite and weather buoys.  The weather always looks just beautiful before a hurricane and it looks a lot like any tropical storm when it is approaching. 

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
The last report I saw says Ike will hit the coast at Houston and / or Galvenson .. that would be good for us in Louisiana but not for them...

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
yeah i saw it, cuba was being hit by some bigs waves, and there was lots of devastation,
i remember the hurricane that hit cancun a few years back at the end all the things that you could see were distruction, devastation and pain.
i remmeber katrina too as well.
but yeah hope nothing worst happen
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:12:37 AM »
Now it looks like its heading for Brownsville!
What this really tells me is they don't know...  :-\

Offline Sonny

• Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:25:09 AM »
I don't think Brownsville was even in the 'cone of uncertainty' yesterday.   :-\
Jim

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »
That's why we just waited to return to the coast, they don't really know.  I appreciate the 'best guess' they are making as it beats a blank but I'm not driving 4 hours based on it.  We need to keep our RV away from hurricane winds, kind of like tornadoes I think they attract them  >:(  and they don't hold up well in them.  So, we buttoned up the condo before Gustav and are sitting here in Merida in the interior until tomorrow to make sure. 

I certainly hope he doesn't have time to grow larger, that he just blows on across the Gulf quickly and as a TS.  Cuba has taken a huge hit and weakened him, I don't think the eye wall has collapsed and reformed yet.  He had 2 eyewalls last night, he'll have to drop one to get larger and stronger.   

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »
so then now i am getting hit, im  the hurricane path, lol
but yeah hope that people closer to the coast dont suffer lots of losses or hope this hurricane disapears

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »

Well, the expected path is now between Houston and Corpus Christi - that's still a four hour drive.  :o

They ought to just admit that they don't know... :)

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »
yeah they should admit it, it has being changing like everyhour, i checked the hurricane parth and yeah it looks like we still in coahuila are getting hit, btw there is a new TS in the pacific, so lets see that one, it seems that is going to hit baja california mexico

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
This one has become the hardest to chart by far, you can see how frustrated it has most of them. Looks like Texas is about to get it. Only one model has it going into Mexico. Sounds like Brownsville /corpus christie area Still not sure though
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
They are starting to evacuate Corpus Christi as a precaution. The barrier islands are particularly hard to evac - two lane, narrow roads.
And as always, the elderly, sick, and prisoners are a problem to move.

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »
OK...  now I'm getting worried.  My Mom just called, she lives in Seabrook which is down by Clear Lake, and said the town is requesting that residents voluntarily evacuate.  Neighbors are boarding windows!  The local weather man said this could be our modern day 'Carla'.  Sheesh...   :(
Jim

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »
sonny you should get your mom and get outta there before it gets worst, just as a precaution
maybe it will change the path but still do it

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
Howell, she's coming to my house in the morning.  Along with Minky ( her dog ).  This is where we'll stay for the storm.

We've got lots of water, gas, a generator.  I hope we're prepared if it gets bad.
Jim

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
Roark is planning to be cutting plywood all night. He loves a good disaster.  @O@

Truthfully, I think the storm will either make landfall below (like Victoria) or above (like Galveston Bay) and we will get the dregs of the storm.

But its fun to stay up all night fitting windows in 100 plus humidity, mosquitos and heat.... or is it?  :P

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
The latest I saw, on WeatherUnderground.com, had the eye hitting about Victoria, Tx, about 2:pm Saturday, with 100mph winds. 

The wider circle on the map stretched as far as Houston.  I wonder if that means we're gonna get 100mph winds, too, or if that's just near the center???

I still have all the plywood, marked for which window, left from Rita 3 years ago.  Maybe I should spend Friday boarding up.   :(

Sunbeam, are you going to board up?  Evacuate?  You're closer to the storm than I am.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
We are boarding up. The office is done, except for the back door.
Roark plans to stay up all night cutting plywood for his house. I'll do mine tomorrow.

We are too close for comfort. This storm isn't that strong - compared to some - but its broad. If the tropical force winds extend 100 plus miles, we could get some bad things flying at us.

Friday, I'm putting all the animals in the barn, too. If the barn roof fails, which I sort of expect. The only place we KNOW the barn roof won't fly, is inside the barn. :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »
We are now under a mandatory evac order. I'm hoping that they won't arrest us for putting up window boards, because we need tomorrow morning to finish that. :(

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
Yeah, looks like you're in a direct line of the storm, at the moment.  If it's any comfort...  seems like the forecasters often get it wrong at this stage of the game.

Good luck to you guys!
Jim

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 07:44:22 PM »
Good luck with the boarding up and then get on the road.  It's tough to have to leave when you've got animals.  I'm thinking of ya.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
Be safe!  We'll be thinking about you and praying!

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
I've got a writing project to do today.  Once I get that to the printer's tomorrow, I'm spending Friday boarding up, securing the yard and pond, taking pictures off the wall, gathering documents, battery-powered lanturn, cat carriers, blanket, etc., ... oh, and KNITTING! so's I'll have something to do if locked down in my garage "safe room" for hours.

Even if we just get "winds," they'll be 65-115mph. 

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »
The grocery store was a madhouse already early this morning.

People were stocking up on basics, like bread and lunchmeat, batteries, and lots of water.  What DO they do with all that water?  Although, if the power and A/C go off, that water will be appreciated.

Oddly enough, lots of people seemed to be buying just provisions for a "hurricane party" - chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, soda, wine, and beer.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
Julles...the water is in case the city water supply gets contaminated or there isn't enough water pressure.  We didn't have water pressure for several days and then we were under a boil advisory until yesterday.  Since we are all electric, boiling water wasn't an option for us.  You have to use bottled water for drinking, cooking and toothbrushing.  We had a real problem getting water after the storm.  I had stocked up (and filled up empty milk jugs and any other container that would hold water!) but water and ice were definitely precious commodities.  And gas! 

Do you have a battery powered radio?  We discovered that our storm radio had been damaged, but only after the fact :P

Here's a good list for hurricane preparedness:

http://www.bobbreck.com/supply.htm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:18:23 PM by Ruthie »

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
Sav and Julles, get all that boarding up done.  Sav, get out of there and stay safe!  Julles, I hope you do OK in your safe room.
 o(:-) To both of you!  And to anyone else in the area. 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
We boarded up and evacuated. Just got in.
The storm's center is now predicted to go in just above Galveston Bay - which spares us a lot.

But we had to leave the horses behind. So we will still worry. :(

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
I Googled Danbury on Google Maps.  I can see why you are bailing out.  Keeping fingers crossed that you won't have flooding or other damage and that your horses will be fine.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
I am praying for all my friends in TX, like Marilyn Collins in Liverpool.
Tried to contact her and no answer. She is very close to sea level, lives right on Chocolate Bayou. :o :search: :-\
If anyone has heard from her, please tell me!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"