Author Topic: Waiting for the hurricane, AGAIN!  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for the hurricane, AGAIN!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
I am praying for all my friends in TX, like Marilyn Collins in Liverpool.
Tried to contact her and no answer. She is very close to sea level, lives right on Chocolate Bayou. :o :search: :-\
If anyone has heard from her, please tell me!  8)
I am pretty sure Liverpool fell under the mandatory evacuation requirements.  Hopefully she is not at home right now.
Jim

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
I, too, noticed that Chocolate Bayou was very close to the water!   :o  I hope Marilyn and her hubby evacuated.   :-\

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »
The cellphones are already not reliable.
Brett reported (to Barbara) that he was going into Galveston this morning to get some fish and move them inland for a friend. I'm guessing that friend would be Bob - who has a nice collection of Dainichi.
Galveston is already flooded.
So anyone on the bayous is already feeling a water rise.

Get this! The fire chief of Surfside, a beachfront community, took a dump truck (high carriage, four wheel drive) door to door, urging residents to leave - last chance... and this one guy says "I have a kayak". He thinks that if he leaves too late, he's just going to kayak in the storm?  lol
I hope they issued him a toe-tag.  :o

THe windforce is going to be a lot less than earlier predictions, because the storm lost its eyewall and won't have time to rebuild before hitting land.
But if it slows and does rebuild, it could be bad.
Not too much longer now to wait and see.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
Get this! The fire chief of Surfside, a beachfront community, took a dump truck (high carriage, four wheel drive) door to door, urging residents to leave - last chance... and this one guy says "I have a kayak". He thinks that if he leaves too late, he's just going to kayak in the storm?  lol
I hope they issued him a toe-tag.  :o

Sav, if that guy is named Bobby Taylor, a picture of him is on MSNBC.com right now...on the images of the hurricane. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:20:58 PM by Sandye »

Offline Sonny

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »
Local news is reporting a story about some folks from some small coastal community who didn't want to leave their homes.  The cops finally told them they don't have to leave but to please do them a favor.  "Take a black magic marker and write your name on your right arm and social security number on your left.  It will help us identify you later."  I guess that convinced all but three to leave.
Jim

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 04:00:22 PM »
well hope they use sharpie lol
what a dumb thing dont they care about their lives?
and if i was going to have to get something from the grocery store, i would have gotten valveeta and some chips too, and lots of dr pepper!!!!! (just to make sure we were alright {:-P;;)
so i have a friend from mexico that got married to an army veteran, she is living now in corpus christi, but she evacueted and she is now here in mexico with her husband, i just talked to them last night
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
Sonny, I know it was mandatory, but Marilyn lives in a remote area off a long dirt drive.
I don't think the cops would have known where to go to find her...so I bet she is staying home and taking care of all her horses, and rehab animals.
Over the years I have been privileged to get to know her enough to know that she probably did not evacuate.

I am so worried about her! :(

I am not comfortable joking about these kind of situations.  :no: ::) >:(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
Sonny, I know it was mandatory, but Marilyn lives in a remote area off a long dirt drive.
I don't think the cops would have known where to go to find her...so I bet she is staying home and taking care of all her horses, and rehab animals.
Over the years I have been privileged to get to know her enough to know that she probably did not evacuate.

I am so worried about her! :(

I am not comfortable joking about these kind of situations.  :no: ::) >:(
huh?!

Believe me, I'm worried too.  I'm sitting with my Mom (whose home is probably under water now) getting the generator checked out because the lights are flickering.  Local news has been hammering us with coverage of animals left behind, storm deaths already occurring and the thing isn't even supposed to get here for another 5-7 hours.  If you think I'm making light then I'm sorry.  Different people deal with stress differently I guess.  Wish us luck, we need it.

BTW, the Musa 'Truly Tiny' is taking a beating.  ( just a little light-hearted humor in a tought time.   ;) )

Signing off for a while.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:20:40 PM by Sonny »
Jim

Offline kntry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »
Sav, I'm glad ya'll made it.  I've been worried about ya'll, the horses and cows all day.  I wish ya'll would have come here.
You could have brought the trailer with the horses. 

Praying that everyone in Texas stays safe.  Things can be replaced.

Sandy

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
No, not you Sonny, other people making light of it.
I've lived through my share of hurricanes when we lived in NC...and just can't help feeling that terror again. :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
To all people from TX who evacuated or honkered down, please stay safe.  Sending lots of P&PT to you all.  I hope this is not as bad as they predicted but I'm sure flooding is unavoidable.

Kuan

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
ok i am so scared
we just heard from someone that just evacuated a little bit ago, she is my mom's cousin and she called and said that waves were unbeliaveable big, and she was scared,
so we just turn the tv on and saw that the hurricane havent even touched ground and it is predicted to be the biggest hurricane in 5 decades, so everyone that lives close to the beach in texas please take care.
and be sure you dont get any tornadoes, because i just looked at the weather.com website and there are lots of counties that might get a tornado, some of them are just under the tornado watch, but hope if they spot one, it just disapears, so please be safeeeeee :(
and about the path they still dont know if it will go as they have predicted, which is so scary, it can go south, north, or straight.
so take care, and joyce im sorry hope she is alright,
i am so praying god for humans lives

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
ok now i am horrified
i just heard on the news that it looks like ike is taking this tropical storm and it will make ike bigger we hope dont but look by yourself i got a pic

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 05:06:47 AM »
Downtown Houston got hit.
Galveston got flooded.
Power is out.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »
Where are you staying Savannah?  :-\
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
Sav, hoping all is ok.  Let us know, please if you need anything.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »
Joyce, Marilyn and all her animals are just fine. She has no power, but called by cell. She has a lot of branches in her yard and I think a tree,but all is well there.  @O@ Her dh is running a barge in La. and he checked in as well and is fine.

Glad to see everyone else here is safe.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:39 PM »
Whew!!! Thanks so much for the update Nancy and please give Marilyn a big hello for me! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline goldenangel

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
Whew!  I don't even live in hurricane territory and I am sick of it already.  Last weekend we got 5-6 inches of rain out of that one and so far this weekend we have got another 6 1/2 inches.  The winds were much worse this time around.  We have huge trees and power lines down all over town.  Our neighbors are very lucky.  The HUGE tree in their front yard fell down.  Thankfully, it fell towards the road and took down power lines instead of on their house.  It is an elderly couple that lives there.  No one was hurt.  Many roads in town are impassable due to all of the rain. Everything is starting to look like one big lake. 

Just checked on my fish and all are fine.  Will have to start bailing water though.   

I can't even imagine what all of you are going through that are further south.  Prayers are with you.  It doesn't seem like you get enough time to clean up before the next storm comes in.  Hopefully, you will have no more to deal with this year. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2008, 01:21:33 PM »
I am so glad to hear Marilyn is doing ok as well as her dh. And of course the rest of you who have been checking in. Have everyone in my thoughts.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline kntry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2008, 04:40:58 PM »
I'm happy to hear Marilyn and her hubby are ok.  I haven't talked to her in years.  I lost track of her and didn't know she was still posting on the Boards after the watergardening Board closed.

Sav went to McAllen, Tx.  I'm worried sick about her horses and cows.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »
Sav said her and the animals are safe, house if ok but she lost the barn. Its gone

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
Marilyn is the one person that I was thinking of, along with her husbands shrimp boat.
I'm really glad that she is OK, and I hope her husband and his shrimp boat is OK as well.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »
I'm so glad we have a spot for people to check in and relay info about others.  I'm glad everyone is safe so far.  It's a shame about the barn, I remember she said she kind of expected it to go and figured the one place it wouldn't fall was inside.  So, I'm sure the horses and cattle had a scary time but if they are OK, it's a great thing.

Offline kntry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »
I'm glad they're ok.  The barn can be rebuilt.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »
The gutters are down all over. So today, My daughter is taking down the plywood over the windows. We are blessed with a cool front, but still need to circulate air through the house.
Everytime that they dropped a sheet of plywood off of the windows, it would clang against a droppred gutter. And the horses would kick and act silly.  lol

Poor things. I can imagine how traumatic it was to have the barn roof lifted while they were in the barn.
But they are fine. :)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »
I am so glad you are ok!  And thanks for the update about Marilyn!!!  I was worried about her, too.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
Julles!  I am thinking about you!  Hope you weathered this thing ok!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"