Author Topic: One day this will be a pond  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
One day this will be a pond
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
They finally did the rest of the 'digging' for the outside pond.  It's not really digging as they had to use a jackhammer and a huge compressor to get through the rock.  Still, it has a shape and that's about it.  I'm not positive where this is going, I've decided to see what happens next and perhaps nudge a bit. 

Mimi is down in it doing her archeologist thing.  Whenever they dig out a new area she gets in there to look for artifacts.  She found some old glass and a really cool tiny bottle this time.  I thought having her in the pic helped to see the relative size.  I'm kind of happy with how big it looks although they always get smaller when the concrete goes on. 

They left the rock in the middle and I like it but I don't understand how they make the pond watertight with a rock sticking up.  I think they may be going to concrete over it, kind of a bummer as it looks so nice as it is.  Over at the left end in the 2nd pic, that area is going to be a waterfall.  Like I said, I'm waiting to see what happens next.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: One day this will be a pond
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:21:28 PM »
Wow, that's going to be a really BIG pond, Jonna!  It looks great. 

I wonder about that rock in the bottom, too.

Please keep posting photos.  We've been hearing about it for a while now, so it's cool to see it coming to be.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »
Very cool!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:06:33 AM »
yay  @O@
that is awesome i cant wait to see it done, i bet you it will be lovely o(:-)
and i hate rocks too for sure >:(-
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 05:55:33 AM »
Looking AWESOME!  O0
Mimi is a lot like me, looking for artifacts all the time whenever I am digging ANYwhere.
I have found LOTS of cool stuff!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 07:30:58 AM »
That will be a fabulous pond!
I look too, a few arrowheads and some civil war items from Fredricksberg VA. Uniform buttons, razor and a watch.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
Sure enough Mimi is holding a bottle. HMMM, doesn't look tiny to me. HMMMM seems to have a plastic label on it. HMMMM it doesn't look all that old.  Hmmmm!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:59 AM »
That's a one a bigga pond!   8-)~  Look at all that rock!  Wish I could get a few large pieces for my yard!  What is the rock wall in the background? 
If the pond is all concrete I'm sure there is a method to seal around the rock in the center.  It's a fabulous idea especially for the size of your pond.  O0

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
miguynmkoi i bet it is a fence haha i dont know but it look like it
yeah leave the rock and then put turtles so they will climb up thereeeeeee

Offline Sonny

• Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »
That's going to be one beautiful pond.  I love the rock.  Are you going to have any kind of water feature on the wall behind the pond?  Something spitting into the pond or perhaps trickling down the wall?
Jim

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:21:46 PM »
Like that water feature on the wall idea.
Looks like the makin' of something really spectacular there.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
Thanks everyone.  The wall behind it is the property wall.  Parts of it had layers of old concrete and stucco on it but they chipped it back to the rock, I like the look.  There is supposedly a waterfall going in on the left, I just don't know how it will look.  Whenever I try and find out more, they say 'do you want us to do it differently' and really I probably don't but I just want to understand what it is they plan to do.  Or not.  I've now decided to just wait and see.  I'm here so if starts looking really unreasonable I can stop them but maybe it will be wonderful too.   I do really respect my architect and he has done some incredible water features in other houses.  He's just not used to doing ones that are occupied by fish, mostly they are fountains and such, throw in some chlorine and it stays clear.

Esther, we always have a bottle of water in our hands or nearby.  Getting dehydrated is the danger in this heat.  I was getting leg cramps until I got serious about drinking water all the time.  The little bottle she found is only about an inch high and square, kind of a bluish glass.  I don't know what it was for, now I'd think it was a florist bottle and maybe that is what this is.

They didn't think I needed the pond this deep but I insisted.  It might be too deep, I just felt that more water equals more leeway for problems and cooler temps.  I do hope the rock in the middle stays looking like a rock.  In another house he did, he had a fountain with a rock in the middle and the water came out of it.  At first he wanted to build an island with the water coming out through it.  I was fine with that but I wanted the water to slowly come up through it and for it to be planted as a bio filter.  That idea then seemed to fade away, I guess he didn't think much of the look of that.   We get along great but when he thinks I have a not so great idea, he mainly just ignores it.  Probably the best way. 

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
Look's Great so far....cannot wait to see when it's all done .
Keep posting pictures ...like Mimi & Joyce I'm alway's "looking" in the ground where I've dug
a hole. I've found all kinds of neat thing's like arrowheads , old bottles ect.

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
I'm excited when I don't find rocks while digging!  :D

The guys mentioned a water feature on the rock wall...that would be so cool!  And dramatic lighting!  Hope you don't mind wishful dreaming thinkers!  ;D

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »
yeah plus joanna be careful if you put lots of features in it, remember mexican electricity is expensiver than in the american one

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 12:33:11 AM »
One of the things my architect is most famous for is his use of lighting.  I know that however the pond turns out it will have lighting  8)

I ran by on Thursday before we left to come back over to the coast for a bit.  The pond walls are in. 

The rock still looks like a rock.  The chunk sticking into the pond at the top is where the waterfall is going to be.  I still don't have a picture in my head, but I'm happy. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
I see a great pond in the makings...!  How exciting is that?!  @O@

Offline terrikokopelli

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »
I think that it's going to be absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished. Seems like he totally knows what he's (the architect) doing.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
Jonna,
I've been following your building from day one, and I love seeing pics of what is going on. It is sooooooooooo cooooooooooooool, especially the rock digging of the ponds.
Please keep the pics comming.
thanks,
steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 03:22:02 AM »
Thanks, I'm thrilled that it seems cool to others.  For me, it's very exciting.  I've renovated houses before in the US but this is more like having a new house built inside an old shell.  Plus, different construction than I am used to and I don't have to do any of the work.  Since I'm retired I'm pretty sure that this will be my last house and it is really the only one that has been built to order and using an architect.  All the rest, I did what I could with what was there as cheaply as possible.  I'm still trying to be cheap on this one but it is easier to do here.  I was lucky to retire and bail on most of my Calif real estate before this crash, I would not be able to do this otherwise.  What encourages me though is that once it is done, it is paid for completely.  For the first time in my life the house I live in will not have a mortgage, I can't tell you how incredible that feels. 

The property taxes are very low here, mine are less than $200 US a year.  In addition, I pay about $450 US for the trust that holds the property.  So, I went from over $7000 US in property tax alone on my house in Marin to $650 - friggin awesome!  Here's another one that just rocks my world.  I don't plan on having any homeowners insurance on this house!  I rather hate insurance companies as it seems that if something could really happen then they price the insurance out of range... earthquake insurance for instance.  This house is built out of rocks and concrete, nothing to burn.  It is in the center of the city where houses butt up against each other giving more protection from high wind.  Hurricanes rarely hit Merida but they do sometimes and the house has stood for over 100 years and the roof is concrete.  Floods happen occasionally but all the floors are tile and on this limestone shelf, it drains away really fast.  So, I think I will self-insure for the contents I can't move upstairs in case of flood.  I've got solid doors and 16' rock walls and a doberman with 2 backup dogs so I'll take the risk on theft as well.   That's another huge annual payment I don't have to make. 

I think I can live there for very little per month,  even putting a hundred or more away a month in my self-insurance account.  That means I can stop worrying about running out of money when I'm really old (as opposed to kind of old now) and not feel one month away from foreclosure if things get as bad as they are looking up north.   If I had to, I could give up AC in the bedrooms in the summer, cable tv and my multiple cell phones (I'd never give up the internet though)  and probably live on $500 to $800 a month.   I hope I don't ever have to do that but it relieves my lifelong fear of being old and helpless in some flea bag hotel in San Francisco.  I saw too many abandoned old people in my job and it left a huge mark on me. 

This may be more than you or others wanted to know but I think maybe it is interesting because I'm doing it in Mexico and that has a lot of bad connotations for many Americans.   I feel safe here, more cared for by friends and neighbors than I ever did in Calif.  There are a lot of bad things happening but that's true everywhere, it mainly depends on what the news decides is important or will sell.  If they published every murder or gang killing in the US it would terrify people.   We ignore it up there because we figure we aren't involved in drugs and we don't go to those parts of town and so it won't happen to us.  Even so, bad things happen to good people anywhere.  It's a violent, dangerous world if looked at in overview but most of us live in places we feel safe and where we don't face that kind of violence around us.   I feel that way here, although it doesn't mean I'd go live in southcentral LA or in Tijuana or Juarez either. 

Sorry for rambling,  I've been sick the last couple days and slept most of it so now I'm awake in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep.

Here's another pic of the pond looking the other way that the architect just sent me. 

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 05:29:42 AM »
Holy cow, I can't wait to see pics of that when it's done!!

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 07:51:14 AM »
I like it when you "ramble" Jonna; it's always so interesting.  Your writing is so clear and descriptive.  One of the things I really enjoy on this board is learning about how life is lived in places outside my experience.  And as a Canadian that includes the US as well. 

Sure glad it's not up to me to dig out that pond!

emm

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
"I like it when you "ramble" Jonna; it's always so interesting.  Your writing is so clear and descriptive."

I'm with Emm on this one. I love watching you build and dig and such. The insurance also is very interesting. My home owners ins here is pretty cheap, so I'll keep it.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
I missed this post before, Jonna.  The pond is looking great, and I can't wait to see what your architect has in mind either.  I'm sure it will be beautiful, tho.  You said he usually does pools and chlorinated fountains.  Have you explained to him what kind of filtering the fish pond will require?

Your dream house sounds awesome...$200 property tax and $450 for the trust.  Plus not really needing house insurance.  It sounds like a great life! 

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 10:24:53 PM »
Well, I TRIED to explain ponding to him.  I'm not sure I got it across though.  Then, I found a pond builder and tropical fish store owner here and had him come and talk to both architects.  Supposedly he was going to be involved in the planning.  I haven't heard another word about him though and I'm thinking that they just said 'yes, yes' and went on how they intended to do it anyway.  That happens a lot.  I decided not to beat my head on this one but to wait and see what ended up and then work on making it what I really want.  I think that the sunken area I requested for bananas and that I intended to later use for an exterior pump is not there.  Hacking through this limestone is a bigger deal than digging through dirt so I'll wait and try and make it work however it turns out.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »
Looking awesome!  The last photo shows flat stone around the edge of your pond.  Will the rest of the patio floor be stone?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
Yes, the patio will be mainly stone.  It looks different than those stones, who knows?   Here's a pic of the pool with part of the stones laid around it.  It's a bad pic, too light but I think you can see them.  It's the same color as the walls but these are flat more or less.

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:23 PM »
Jonna,
That is awesome--so beautiful. I'm so glad that you are getting such a cool pond along with your house.

Steve

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
Jonna, how absolutly cool......If your pond turns out as beautiful as the pool you will truely have your own little oasis.  Now am I remembering right are you also having a long more narrow pond in the house?  What type of fish are you planning on putting in and will you also have plants in the ponds?  I also love the rock sticking up there what a neat accent I do hope they can leave it as is.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
Yes, there is a very long pond in the hallway.  It has some diffused natural light from a covered skylight.  It's about 2.5' deep and 2' wide. 

I have been trying to give myself a crash course in tropical fish when I have time.  I haven't really decided on anything yet but vague ideas are forming.  I think the inside pond should have the showier fish because there will not be as much plant cover.  I'm investigating chiclids of the 3" to 5" variety if I can find some that will get along and look good from above.  The outside pond (or I could decide to switch, I don't know) would have smaller, schooling tropical fish like plattys and tetras and would have as many tropical water lilies as I can stuff in there  ::)  I am thinking the schools of bright little fish would be cool to spot between the lily pads.  I can put one, maybe two male bettas in there as well.  I've read that if they have a spot to defend and enough room they will show off but not hurt each other.   At least one Pleco in each to work on the algae. 

Other days I think I would just like to have a couple of butterfly koi in the inside pond.  I am concerned though that I don't have enough filtration for them, mainly there will be a skimmer with whatever I stick in it and 3 long boxes above the pond functioning as bog filters and a little bit like a trickle tower in that I want the water to barely spill over the top and fall in drops into the pond.  Plus, I don't know that koi do all that well in warm water. 

My other mild obsession these days is reading up on orchids as I want to attach as many as I can to the rock wall above the inside pond.  I just noticed that in the picture the wall is plain concrete, perhaps the stone mentioned before was canceled when I told them they had to start cutting costs more.  It may not be enough light from what I am reading.  I am thinking to put ferns in the bog filters and I had hoped I could stick some bare root orchids in the back with just a few roots trailing in the water.  It will be plenty humid but I haven't found anyone that mentions this kind of culture.   Orchids outside will do fine, there are a lot of native orchids that grow everywhere in the bush. 

So, I'm spending a lot of time reading and googling and trying to keep it all in my head.  Here's a pic of the indoor pond as it was a week or so ago. 

I'd LOVE suggestions.  I've got notes everywhere with plants I want (Michelia and Jade vine are 2) and fish that might work and orchids.  It's fun. It gives me something to do while I get more and more impatient for the house to be done. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"