Author Topic: the pond and hurricane Gustav  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
the pond and hurricane Gustav
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »
I am so glad to be here!  I am so glad to have electricity again!  Last night they turned our power on after days and days....a roof blew off up our street and took out a few power poles. :o  Our neighbor had evacuated, thankfully.

After what we went through with Katrina and Rita, I had a plan in mind for the pond for when we got by another storm.  But...this was rough. 

The koi were definitely showing signs of distress by about two days after the storm hit (no electricity, no pump.)  The goldfish were behaving normally.  I think every leaf from every tree blew off and I think they all went into the pond.  I scooped out as much as I could, but I really didn't want to churn up the bottom of the pond and put even more organics and nutrients into the water. 

I had stopped feeding the fish a couple of days before the storm as well.

Though we have a generator, we discovered that our extension cords were in short supply and some of them were damaged.  Still, we managed to get a couple of small pumps running in both ponds...just to keep them aerated.  By three days out, the pond water turned the color of tea...just like the bayou water.  By day four, we had huge fish kills in the bayou.  The pond fish? doing ok, thank God!

The water is absolutely gross.  So my plan is to do something I have never done.  I am going to catch all the fish, drain the pond, clean the bottom and replace the water with fresh (tannin free!) water.  I've never done a complete water change before, but I really don't think I have any other options at this point.  Maybe I'll be able to find the leak while I am at it.

What I would do different in the event of another storm:

Have more dechlor on hand before the storm so I could do more water changes. 
Get solar powered aerators! 
Better extension cords!!! 
Improve my pump and filter set up for better pump effenciency!!! 
And the hardest one to admit?  Decrease the fish load.   

Anybody else have words of wisdom to add? 

I know this was stressful on the fish.  They still have not been fed, poor guys. :'(  Not until I get their filters running again.

Speaking of stress, the rest of us fared ok.  We have roof damage.  The eye made landfall directly south of us, leaving us in the eyewall for hours.  We had tornadoes...for instance....my kids cedar play house was picked up, ripped in half and deposited into the swimming pool. 

Our house is built into the loft of a barn.  The lower part of the barn is still a barn, with steel framed doors.  Before the storm we chained the doors to the center steel beams, so they wouldn't blow out.  Not long after we heard the metal roof blowing off in the wind, I went downstairs and saw the barn doors being ripped off their frames and hinges.  The wind was howling.  I had to hold the doors in place, while my husband backed the car up against what was left of them.  If the winds got into the integrity of the structure, the whole house would have been compromised.  I am not sure if what we did qualifies as smart and brave or incredibly stupid.  Those winds were about 100 mph.

When the top part of the peak of the roof came off, rain just poured in.  In the bathroom during the height of the storm, water was pouring from the light fixtures and down the walls.  Now that the lights are back on, we can see that we have water damage to most of the ceiling.

The destruction in our parish and neighboring parishes was pretty severe.  The straightline winds were bad enough, but the tornado damage is intense.  Back of our place it's all woods and marshlands....and you can see the trails left by tornadoes.  It's like somebody went with a bushhog or a plow.  Just lines and swaths of mangled trees.

We'be been without power for 8 days?  9 days?  When did the storm hit?  It's all a big blur.   :P  But the good news is that we are all ok.  The house will be repaired.  The fish survived.  Even my aquarium of tropicals!  No pump, no filter!  but a very light fish load on a very large aquarium.  I stopped feeding them, did some partial water changes and my little tetras managed ok.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:40:44 AM by Ruthie »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: the pond and hurricane Gustav
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
I'm glad to hear you and your family, including pets, are well!  It sounds like you went through many horrific ordeals!  I can't imagine what to do in your situation.  I hope you can rebuild/repair easily enough.

I like the ideal of solar powered aerators.  Have you seen these before and do they work well?

Glad you're back.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
Ruthie,
What a terrifying ordeal! Your kids must have been very very scared. Geez, how to keep them entertained for 8 or 9 days with no power on top of it all?

Sounds like you had a good plan with your pond. My water got that tannin color this spring. I used Sludge away by microbe lift and it worked great. You may still have to do a big clean up, but it could buy some time if you happen to have it on hand. Could you run a hose on a mist on the pond to agitate the water surface? that can help get some aeration in the water too.
Kathy

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »
I saw somebody with solar powered aerators here on the forum.  Can't remember who though.  Seems like they had them at Lowe's and Home Depot for $15 or so.  I am going to get one or two for each pond.

I did some mist aeration, too.  I'll have to look for the Sludge Away.  Definitely need to get the good bacteria going again. 

I have four children and the oldest two (16 and 13) watched the storm pass, peeking out of little peep holes in the plywood on the windows.  My younger two (5 and eight) slept through the whole thing.  I was glad for that.  But yeah...they have had a massive case of cabin fever this week. 

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
Oh boy.  It's easy for us to watch it on the news, but I really have no idea.  I wish you and your family the best.  I'm glad to hear your family is safe.
Alfonso

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
Wow, Ruthie, so many days in hot Louisiana with no power or A/C!  I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your home and property.  But glad everyone's OK.

We in Houston are looking at a similar storm, projected to hit about Saturday, early morning.  Supposedly 100mph winds.  Previously, I had said, "Well, that's not such a biggie."  But after reading all your preparations and damage, with a storm of the same force, I think maybe I will start taking precautions - lawn furniture, windchimes, etc. and maybe even dig out the plywood left over from Rita and cover up the windows.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your home and property.  But glad everyone's OK.  :)
Sometime's I wish I lived in a warmer climet until Hurrcane season comes around , then I'm
glad to live in cold Ohio ..... ;D

bonnie

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »
Ruth, that is an incredible story.  I'm so glad that your family is OK and your fish too.  You and your hubby were very brave to go down and keep the structure intact, I think you probably saved a lot more damage and perhaps the house.  Whew!  Good luck with the clean up, that's never fun. 

Jules, I think you should break out the plywood from Rita, Ike is not looking good for Galveston or Houston.  Better to much preparation than too little. 

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
Julles...my mom is in Houston...my brother is in Galveston.  My brother has already evacuated (he's heading here.)  I have called my mom several times today to tell her to be watching this closely.  Our damages were due to a Cat 2 storm, direct hit.  We were in the eyewall for hours and hours (it felt like days, I swear.)  Ike is supposed to be a bigger, badder storm than gustav.  I would be taking that plywood out for sure!  And if it goes somewhere else, it the best possible waste of time.  I knew we were planning on staying, so I had stocked up on two weeks worth of everything...cat and dog food, chicken feed, bottled water, canned goods.  We used almost every bit of it, too. 

I hope it goes elsewhere  (but not towards us!!! :P)  and spares Houston!   

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »
I'm so glad u got your lights on i know how u feel...i could have never made it in the horse and buggie era....after 5 days i was ill and hot and sweating all the time   :(  ....cold showers then when u get out u can't get your clothes on cause your already sweating     :-\   my head was right by the window at night and i remember i woke up it was raining on me     :raining: and i didn't move i just fell back t sleep..now thats sick... lol   lorraine
lorraine

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 06:41:17 AM »
That does not sound like fun  {nono}  I hope things are still ok for you guys!!

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 06:44:15 AM »
Wow, I'm glad that you are fine.  Sorry to hear about all of the damage & the worry you must be going thru.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"