Author Topic: new ponder.... murky water  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
new ponder.... murky water
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:57:17 AM »
We just started with our first pond. @O@ Things were going well until it rained a lot and clouded up the water. Realized that there was a low spot near the skimmer that was letting  run-off into the pond. I think we got that resolved but now it has been raining for almost 24 hours straight and the water looks like mud again. The pond was running 2 weeks before we added our first fish o(  6 baby koi and 3 goldfish. Our filtration consists of a skimmer with a leaf basket and one filter pad pumping to a waterfall filled with bio-balls and 2 more filter pads. We have no plants yet. Those will be added next spring. Is this enough filtration? We plan on running the waterfall all winter. Do we need a de-icer or heater? I'm sure the pond will freeze over this winter. Will the fish be OK? Are UV lights necessary? Any help is appreciated
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: new ponder.... murky water
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:27:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum and the land of ponding addictions...

I don't have koi, but the guru's will want to know how big your pond is the depth also etc.

I have stocktanks with goldies only and I run my pumps year round here in zone 6.  I have used a tank heater in the past and you will need to keep a hole in the water open for your fish.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
I suspect your pond will clear out eventually. Did you say you have a waterfall? OK, yup you did. What I did for additional filtration without spending an arm and a leg was to buy cheap wire mesh baskets and put filter fabric (quilt batting if you don't have any filter media on hand) in them and lay them in the drops/steps of the waterfall. I have two steps so that added two more layers of filter. Then I just clean them whenever they need it and it usually clears up the murk or green in no time.

As for winter questions, there is a tutorial I wrote on the tutorial sub forum about getting your pond ready for winter.  I shut my pump down to the waterfall as soon as the ice starts forming on it. I don't want the ice to route the water flow out of the pond. I use a DIY (see DIY sub forum) deicer to keep a hole open in the ice. Some use a aerator and some use a small pump near the surface. Some don't shut down their waterfall. It just depends on your temps and what you want to do. Your fish will be fine as long as there is a hole in the ice during the winter.

I don't recommend A UV for algae control. They are expensive and if you have adequate bio bugs and filtration you don't need one. I have a 100 gallon Skippy/stock tank/bio filter and have 8-9 , UM maybe 18" green floor scrubber pads in it. I don't think you can have too much space for the bugs to live while they do their work. I used to use those kitchen scrubbers in mesh bags but they were a pain to clean so gave them away and bit by bit added to my collection of the floor scrubber pads.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:50:19 PM by Esther »

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:32:40 PM »
our pond is about 18 x 14 with a depth of 2 feet around the edge and 3 1/2 feet in the middle

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
After the hard rain :swear:

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »
That is a beautiful pond. I added an aerator and my pond cleared up within days. Of course I cleaned the filter out too. (It was a mess)
My pond has been clear since about 3 days after I found this site asking the same questions. As far as wintering, I am hearing the best bet is bubbles. Sweet layout and pond. I bet you can't wait for spring already.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I was posting my last before you added your other pic. I bet you still have some high spots in your dirt where rain is washing into your pond. Might just remove some dirt and pile till spring unless you are going to add plants soon. plastic or weed gaurd stapled into the ground will help with the runoff until you get your landscaping done. Man that is going to be a sharp looking pond.

Get ready your neighbor is going to ask you to help them soon.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
Hey reddad35;
Absolutely can't wait till spring.Looking forward to planting lilies.
Our new pond has been the talk of the neighborhood, in fact the kids from across the street brought over a frog that they caught and asked if they could put it in the pond.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
Frog is in the pond...Right?..lol

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »
While I was doing my long post, you were doing your pictures. Very nice setup there. Could you move some of the rocks under the drops of the waterfall to get some extra filtration there? I bet you can rig something up if you think about it. I agree with Reddad. I bet you are stil experiencing a bit of runoff. When you get your plantings in around it, you won't notice the liner any longer. I know, right after all that work, you want it to be perfect, not see the liner and have clear water. Been there, done that 6 or so years ago. Now I can't find the edges of the liner, the plantings have taken over so much. It is time for me to tear it all out and replant because they are going all over the place, taking over the world.

When you are ready to plant and now is a good time, send out the word here and usually there is somebody tearing something out and will sell, or send for postage, starts of various plantings. That's how I got all my marginals, mostly for free. Check on the sub forum on the plant exchange.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »
frog is in the pond but i'm wondering what he'll do in the winter. :missing:

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 01:02:04 PM »
I read a suggestion just the other day that we can put a pan of dirt in the bottom of our pond that is not a natural pond and hope the frog will find it to hibernate. It also suggested leaves but I don't do leaves in my pond. LOL.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
I built a brick and railroad tie patio and fire pit area last fall. (I know it sounds weird but its cool) I dug out all the grass and some dirt to level it. I piled the dirt up in an area of my yard and knew I would use it in the spring. Come spring I started moving the dirt to another of my projects. It was early spring and still cold out. I found 20 or more frogs burried in that pile. I am guessing your and all frogs will find a spot to bury themselves for winter just based on my experience. That area behind your pond looks to be a great spot. Most people would not find this out because they would have no need to dig out something they just built.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »
UM, pictures, Reddad??? No not of the frogs!!

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
soon, I have all my ponding garbage sitting on it right now. So much so I actually put the patio furniture in the garage. Soon esther, we are working on a total yard cleanup. I have actually found tools that I thought I might have leant out.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »
LOL, Reddad. Sounds like here. But after living here 38 years, we pretty much have it all organized. We do have an awful mess right now though. Did you see the thread about our septic tank caving in? Everything is put back together now except doing the new sidewalk and reseeding. But we've had rain for two days pretty much all day so quit trying.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:31:35 PM by Esther »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »
Nice pond Freddie and welcome to the best little forum on the net. Your frog will find a place to sleep before it gets to cold. One thing that I've learned in my many years of ponding is you got to have patience. Your water may clear on it's own but it may look like a dirt bottom pond when it does. One more thing, where are putting plants? On the banks or in the water? Koi will eat plants. A member of my club has a koi pond but tried to put plants in it. Needless to say, she like my idea of a plant filter added to one side. I haven't heard from her in a week to see if she has it working yet but she was well on her way the last time I was there.

Reddad, there is ponding garbage scattered around my pond as well.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »
Welcome Freddie!  Wonderful first pond!  It's huge, I'm green with envy.  You'll find lots of water plants for sale, trade or postage in the spring here.

Offline KatFish

• Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »
Lovely!!  I look forward to progress shots!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:54 AM »
That pond is gorgeous.  O0  @O@  O0

I will make a suggestion though. Fold the liner back towards the pond along the entire edge and stick a layer of flat rocks inside the fold and on top. This will raise the grade around the edge and also not allow water to run down into the pond. You can use creeping plants to soften the raised edge there are many that will work well.

I would have added plants to the pond first, before fish, myself. Without plants they are very exposed to predators. Lawanna is having a sale on marginals, check the trade section.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »
Welcome, and what a beautiful pond!!  Don't worry about the frog, as everyone says he'll find somewhere to hibernate for the winter.  Mine seem to squeeze into the folds of the liner; on a "warm" winter day if the pond isn't iced over I might see their little webbed feet peeking out from the folds.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
Thanks for all the posts....  ;D    This is the best pond forum on the web. The other morning I was out looking at the pond and saw our frog again. Then I looked across the pond and saw another frog!!!! :2thumbs: We are SO happy with our first pond I just want to spend all my available time there. The murky water has changed from brown to green. I'm thinking algae bloom. The hurricane brought us about 10 inches of rain and probably tons of nutrients with  it. I'm really looking forward to planting in and around the pond. 

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 07:41:14 AM »
Freddie I can't stop looking at your photos. That rock lined shelf is amazing. Have fun.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Freddie.......Absolutely stunning pond, the murkyness may have been settling dirt from all the rock in the pond also, or wash from dirt around the pond.  I agree lots of plants, and if you are getting or having koi do it when they are still small and can not damage them.  I have no problems with my koi with the existing plants it is when I try to add new plants, they seem more curious about it and root it up and make a mess, once it is established they leave it alone.  As for the frogs, they may find a place in a plant pot to mud in, we have placed a mixture of sand and leaves in our pond before for the winter not sure if it works, but there are always plenty of frogs that will find your pond in the future.  I can't wait to see the progress over the next year.  If you ever want to take a couple hours drive north in the spring I will probably be splitting every lily I have next spring, then with the price of gas postage may be cheaper.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"