Author Topic: SAVANNAH!  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
SAVANNAH!
« on: September 13, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
:-\  Please check in ASAP and tell us how you and Roark are doing!!!   :-\
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: SAVANNAH!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
yes please and if you need anything.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:07 PM »
No loss of life. :) We evacuated to McAllen/Edinburg, and then Roark and I came back Saturday night. Roak's wife and child and my tweenie came back Sunday.

The barn roof lifted off. Four inch nails still straight - just picked it straight up, crumpled it in a neat ball, and dropped it on the propane tank.
One window in the dining room got broken because the outside ceiling fan "over-rotated", which means it spun until it exploded. Pieces of ceiling fan and glass all over the dining room - easy to sweep up.

The wind was capricious. As a half-mexican, I think its fun to put used and empty, large bean cans on the ends of my wooden fence posts, and then paint them garish colors. One purple can was lifted off. Only one. Isn't that odd?

One of my plastic lawn chairs was tossed over the house's roof, bounced in the front yard, and ended up in the neighbor's pasture.

Lots and lots of tree damage. The twisted live oak at the office lost about half of its limbs - it was all snakey because it was competing with the pecans for light. The long extended limbs couldn't take the beating. Lotta clean up to do in the yard. The pond is full of leaves and branches. The bamboo did well. :)

We left the horses in the barn, because I thought we might lose the barn roof, and so that was the safest place for them. That worked, but the horses got really traumatized when the roof came off - they are a little spooky. My daughter needs to ride them today to straighten out their heads.
I calculated the wind direction wrong, but got it right when I thought that the barn roof wouldn't come slicing through the air into the barn.

We have no power, and the power company doesn't expect to have power on here for two or three weeks. The main line feeding Danbury lost a dozen or more poles. Snapped off at the base. Lines all over the road. But can't complain, we see their work crews all over the place.
We are on generator. My generator is at Roark's house,Roark's antique needs a new fuel pump and isn't working, and so I borrowed a welder from Butch. Its a dandy generator. Takes diesel too - which is less expensive than gas. Diesel is more expensive by the gallon, but the diesel generator uses one gallon of diesel for every three that my gas powered generator uses. More power too. I think a new diesel generator for this house is on my Christmas list.

The extended family eats here - I have propane. The gas generator keeps the fridge cold at their house,and the fans running, but isn't up to cooking or the HVAC.

This cold weather is a blessing. We just leave the windows open. Don't have to sweat it (that's a pun).

I expect to get "back to work" tomorrow. Because, although we are in the "zone", the rest of the world goes on and isn't particularly empathic.

Only one life lost. My blind, red cap oranda, about 9 inches long, didn't make it. I turned him and "King Richard" - the solid red oranda - loose in the lily pond, because I anticipated a loss of power. King Richard hasn't shown up dead, but "Friday" did. I buried him in the rose garden. He was sick before the hurricane (bladder disorder, probably genetic) and just couldn't handle all the changes.
:(
RIP.

I heard from Brett. He's having trouble with pumping water in the shed, which is really no problem at all - he can always loose the fish back into the ponds. He made it through the storm and is doing well.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
Sav, I'm so glad you all got through with little damage (except for the poor trees and your barn roof).  I'm also glad that the weather is cooperating and you aren't suffering with the heat.  That's really good news.   O0

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:04 AM »
That's an incredible story. I'm so glad you are all well and that everything is fixable.  You are amazingly resilient, some people would be over the hill. 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:01:22 AM »
That is great that you are fine & sorry to hear about all of the damage/loss of your fish.  Hope your repairs go smoothly & you've got such an upbeat attitude at it all.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 07:17:47 AM »
Just GREAT to hear from you at last, but also good to hear not much damage/loss.  :hug:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
So sorry to hear of your stress and damage. Nice to hear of your attitude. I don't know if I'd be so upbeat. But then, it could have been a lot worse, right? I just can't imagine having to go through what you guys do and most every year there are threats of this kind of experience. People in other regions fuss about the tornadoes that happen in the north but here in Michigan, we hardly ever have much in the way of wind or water damage.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:20:06 AM »
I'm really proud of Roark today. Not only was all of his obsessive planning a big reason why this hurricane has not been too stressful, but he has been all over town helping with others.

One of our neighbors has an oxygen concentrator that she needs to breathe adequately. We pulled the generator off of Roark's house to power her through the night. That generator holds only about four hours of fuel - so he got up twice in the night to refuel for Bernice.  o(:-)

We have full pantries, and enough fuel for a week.  @O@

Roark has been wiring generators for people all around. Lending a hand.
I've been cooking.  o(:-)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »
Good to hear you and Roark are well and you Texans are pulling together.  I can't imagine being without electricity for a few weeks.....  I've read of local disaster emergency teams that left to help out after the hurricane had passed through. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline kntry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
Thanks for the update, Sav.  I'm so glad everyone survived. 

How did the office pond and fish make out?

Tell Jeff he's a sweetheart.  People helping people is what it's all about especially in a disaster.

What are you cooking? @O@

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
Hey Sandy - two nights ago - brisket. Last night - bbq chicken. Tonight - pork chops. :)
We have had a dozen or so people over most days.

THe only fish we lost was Friday, who was a hug red cap oranda, blind because the head growth was over his eyes, with a bladder problem (genetic). I put the two big orandas in the water lily pond, anticipating power outages. Friday died - I haven't seen King Richard.

The koi are great. Not a blip on their radar. They got some water in the ponds and they are hungry.  @O@

Cell service is really spotty. My internet is dependent on cell at the moment. So it comes and goes.
Worry not... all is much better than we anticipated. :)

Offline kntry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
Great!  I was going to send Mike or one of the boys over to check on ya'll when they get there if I hadn't heard from you.

I knew you'd be "feeding the masses"!  Wish I was there.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »
Savannah!  You are heaven sent!  You went through a horrible ordeal and still have an upbeat attitude.  I'm glad you, Roark (another angel) and your families are well!  O0

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »
Glad to here you are doing so well after the storm and sorry about the goldie. I only hope I would cope so well.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"