Author Topic: Free Turtles to Locals (SoCal)  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Free Turtles to Locals (SoCal)
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »
I give up..... My two red eared sliders are too much for my pond to handle.  I have/had 3 tropical lilies and 3 hardy lilies and because I added two mature red eared sliders to the pond last year I have not seen any tropicals emerge this year and only two of my 3 hardy lilies managed to make it to the surface.  I can count the total number of flowers I've had on 3 fingers......  Right now only one hardy lily is managing to send up leaves.  All the others have the leaves nipped off when they are tender shoots......

I guess I'm not giving a very good sales pitch here am I.........  None the less, if you are a local (I won't ship) and you want one or two red eared sliders (assuming I can catch the rascals) for the asking price of FREE, just let me know.  I'll even drive them out to you.....so long as you live between San Diego and Santa Barbara......  Such a deal  O0 ;D

I believe both are females.... 

How could you turn down such a cute face?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Free Turtles to Locals (SoCal)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
The"balance" in my pond seems just right, or i'd jump at your offer.  I have a hot male too. He would love your beauties.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
I'm trying to get rid of two baby red eared sliders.  It's a hard task.  I'm not charging a dime either. 
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
Hey Mikey!  Does that include Turdle Rock Island?  ;D

I feel for you but I already have 8 turtles I can't find decent homes for.   :(

Good luck with the sales pitch!  :D

Offline kamala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:26:14 PM »
Hi Mikey.

I think I know someone who might be interested.  Have you given them away yet?

kamala

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
Hi Kamala.  Nope, they are out there thumbing their noses at me as I write this...  Today I started working on getting a net so I can catch the rascals.

Offline kamala

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »
 lol  Can you guesstimate their size?  If my friend doesn't want them and you can't find a home, just let me know.  I can take in a couple of more.  I'll just get DH to dig a bigger pond if necessary. {:-P;;

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »
My guesstimate is their shell is about 9 1/2 inches long.   And if you saw an earlier thread I have one of them trained to do the Hokey-Pokey.....  ;D

Offline kamala

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Hey Mikey,

Whenever you catch them, just let me know.  I will give them a nice safe home.  I have a small fence around my ponds, and only one (mrs turtle) climbs out.  The rest of my yard is as escape proof as possible.  Even when mrs turtle goes walkabout, she either climbs back or I find her in the water garden on the side yard.  If you need help catching them, let me know.  I don't have experience, but I love humorous situations.  ;D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »
That's great Kamala.   Once I catch them I will let you know.  It should be interesting since one of them will immediately dive out of sight upon my approach and spook the other one to also take a dive......   I also just learned the telephone number of a local turtle rescue lady.  I have not called her but I will give you her number just in case these rascals don't work out.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
One Down!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »
This morning I rigged up a netting that I submerged beneath the floating island where the turtles like to sun.  The idea is that upon my approach they will dive off the island into the netting and then I lift them out.  Worked like a charm for one girl that was out catching some rays this morning.  The other one has remained out of site.... 

I called Kamala and she came over and got her.  Thanks Kamala!  One down.......one to go....  @O@

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »
What!?!  No pictures of the rigging?  Good for you and Kamala  O0  Will Kamala take #2?

I spent 2 hours last night trying to catch the only shub left in the koi pond who never got to move with the others when I set up the Lily pond.  I'm telling you what you already know but what alot of frustration!  Also caught extra 1" baby goldies for my turtles, yum  :P  I'm glad to clear out the last of the shubs and the little goldies for the koi who decided to grow way too fast this year!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
I think catching fish is even more difficult.....

Caught #2 this morning and released her to Kamala!  @O@    Sorry but no photos.  When they bail off the island into the water I have to move quickly to raise net and trap them.  The fetching one had to help me both times because those girls immediately tried to crawl out of the netting as I maneuvered it to one side of the pond.  It pretty much was a two-ponder job....  I fashioned a fairly good sized net using a large remnant of bird netting normally used to protect the fruit on a tree.  Worked real good.

This last girl was especially difficult to catch once she was in the net.  She acted like a baseball player caught in a pick-off play between two bases.  She would start running toward the fetching one and as she reached for her she would turn and run toward me and as I reached for her she would again turn and head back toward the fetching one.  And she's running on bird netting mind you....  The LA Dodgers could use her......  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:55:55 PM by Mikey »

Offline kamala

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
Just to update all.  The new turtles are doing fine.  They are very skittish and I rearranged some plants to allow them to hide better.  My turtles have apparently welcomed them right in.  They all swim around and no displays of aggression so far.  I checked with my neice over the weekend to be sure I was on the right track for food.  I will subsidize their pellets with fresh greens, etc.  Hopefully this will keep their tummies full and they won't bother wasting their time on my plants.  Once the turtles settle in and allow it, I will post pictures. 
Hopefully Mikey's pond will recover.  Although, I must say, his property is beautiful.  So many wonderful plants.. o(:-)

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
Your DH said that one had trimmed your lily....sorry.....  When I first got them someone suggested slices of cucumbers.  I tried that but the slices just floated there all day and eventually sunk.  I think they preferred the tender lily shoots and my arrowhead...

I see all sizes of turtles sunning themselves together on the float platforms at El Dorado Park so I think they should be okay with the kids....

Offline kamala

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »
Hi Mikey,

I think the turtle was just looking for somewhere to hide.  They seem content in the plant that I arranged for them.  We shall see what happens.  I just picked up some good greens for them.  I will let you know how it goes.

thanks,

kamala

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"