Author Topic: Scary Homecoming...  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Scary Homecoming...
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
Went to my friend Lynn's house tonight for dinner.  8)
When we got home, we had to chase 2 raccoons out of the house.
One was in the garage which quickly ran out through the cat door into the yard with a simple yell.
When I came upstairs another HUGE raccoon was UPSTAIRS in the main room waddling around between the kitchen and the big room!
Did you all hear me screaming from there???  :o
I literally screamed him out of the house, back down the stairs into the basement.
Jamie was still in the basement coming in from the garage when I chased the raccoon, screaming the whole, while into the basement.
Jamie sees the raccoon, jumps up on the laundry table screaming her lungs out, which startles the raccoon who then turns around and comes back at me,
so I wave, scream hoot and holler at him and he turns around again and finally goes out the cat door into the garage and then outside.
So I grab the critter-ridder spray and soak the areas around the cat doors. Should keep 'em out for the night.

So I come upstairs and make myself a cup of tea, turn around to settle down on the couch when Willow (giant male Maine Coon Cat) drops a LIVE MOUSE on the floor at my feet  :o  and it promptly starts darting around on the floor and a dog-cat-cat-cat-cat-cat-mouse chase starts. The mouse darts across the floor, aims at Bill standing next to the dining room table wondering what the heck the new commotion is all about when he sees the mouse running at him, yelps and jumps up in the air like a ballet dancer. The mouse gets under the stools at the bar, gets cornered by the dog-cat-cat-cat-cat-cat team and then I grab it with a napkin from the table. Then I practically ran through the screen door out onto the deck with it wadded in a napkin and winged it into the gardens over the railing.

Now I am finally enjoying a lukewarm cup of tea.  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Scary Homecoming...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:37:06 PM »
 lol   lol  Ain't life grand sometimes?  Times like that can't even be captured on video, it has to be experienced!  Hopefully you don't find little (or big) coon poops everywhere inside your house, little buggars are notorious for that  ::) 

My cats won't even put their lips on a mouse  :P  but they stare down a corner where they "think" there might be one.  Simba (my Maine Coon) actually let one run underneath his tummy fur and he laid on it:  he had a toy that actually played back with him....I had to grab it with a gloved hand and whing it into the flower beds.  DH said it'll just run back in the house again, but I told him it has to run the cat gauntlet outside first! 

You didn't pull a stitch waving and yelling did you  {nono}  Actually, I did think I heard a muffled yell from the Northeast a couple of hours ago  :D  ;D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
 lol lol lol lol

Oops, sorry...I'm sure it wasn't all that funny when it happened, but it sure made for an exciting homecoming.   ;D

Isn't it amazing how the kitty cats love to bring you their treasures...whether they are dead or not.   Poor Willow, he probably wondered why you weren't praising him for bringing you his little mousie.   {:-P;;

I'm really interested in the critter-ridder stuff.  Would it keep the possums out of my cantaloupe patch?  I have something dragging half-ripe, half-eaten cantaloupes off the vine, and I'm pretty sure it's opossums.  I don't mind them cleaning up the fallen pears and apples, but I really wish they would leave my garden alone.   :-\

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
That's hilarious.  lol  I wonder what your neighbors are thinking....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »
That's funny Joyce, but I worry about your cats.  We had some huge vet bills and barely saved our big Maine Coon cross cat, he was almost as big as the coons but they tore him up.   Maybe one of those ID collars so the cat door won't open for anyone else.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »
Funny to read, but I'm sure not so funny for you.  I think I'd find a way to keep them out of the house, like Jonna said the ID collar that might work.  It would have been horrible if you had one of the cats injured by a coon.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:14:58 AM »
It was funny afterwards, but while it was going on, I was pretty scared.  :o
When I came upstairs, we thought the one raccoon we chased out was the only one.
So when I plopped down some take home leftovers from Lynn on the kitchen counter,
turned around to go downstairs and get more stuff outta my Jeep,
saw the raccoon waddling towards me, I let out such a whoop.
Bill came running in through the sliding deck doors, cuz he was taking the dog out to pee.
I yelled to Bill, "ONE MORE RACCOON! GRAB THE DOG AND DON'T LET HER GO!"
The raccoon was now at the top of the stairs that lead back down to the garage,
but also in the doorway of the kitchen. He kind of arched his back up just a bit,
and that is when I started screaming and stomping my feet like a wild woman.
He turned and went down the stairs (I have no idea Jamie was still down there)
and I chased him all the way down and around the corner into the basement.
That is when Jamie yelled that she was on top of the laundry table.
(she had figured out what was going on by now)
By now the raccoon was running past the laundry room area (well out of the path of the raccoon)
and I chased him through the cat door into the garage. I grabbed the dustbroom and pan as weapons,
opened the door to the garage and went past my Jeep to get a view of the cat door that leads outside.
It was flapping back and forth, and the raccoon had obviously just gone through it.
I still checked the garage out thoroughly, and poke and rattled a few items just to flush out any hiding animal.
Then I grabbed the Critter-Ridder spray and soaked the 2 cat doors.
The cats HATE the smell but still use the doors.

That took about 10 minutes, with Bill helping me with a pitchfork in his hands, until we finally decided the raccoons were gone.
Bill had locked Gigi in Jamie's bathroom.
Bill went upstairs to make sure one more time the house was clear. That is when I heard Jamie quietly say, "Can I get down now?"
OMG! She was still up on the table in the laundry room!  lol Smart kid though for staying put! 8)

We've decided to take the cat food out of the basement. The raccoon was in the basement for the cat food.
I think when we came home, he got scared and ran up away from us into the house instead of back out the door he came in.
We'll keep the cat food bin here in the computer room for now on. 8) Will be just too much of a ongoing battle if we keep it in the basement.
And the cats don't seem to care about the raccoons. They are just sat around on the couches and watched mommy go berzerk chasing the raccoon.
Especially Willow, our big Maine Coon. We see the raccoons all the time outside, and he doesn't pay any attention to them,
and the raccoons don't bother with our cats either. 8)

All this while still recuperating from surgery. I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself!  :o

No poops anywhere in the house this time...we were lucky.  8)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:31:09 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »
I bet your pulse was pounding.  The stitches were the first thing I thought of.  Obviously you were fine.  I assume the laws there are like here. Ya can't shoot 'em or even relocate them legally. {nono}
I have no doubt id be a law breaker.  Did Bill want to just plug 'em?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »
       lol lol lol lol   ... lord Joyce sounds like a wild time...i can imagine you were scared to death,they get real big and mean...i've never heard of them going in the house,maybe you should get rid of the cat door....and then the gift from the cat...i bet your heart was beating a mile a minute...   :o :o   lorraine
lorraine

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »
Your cat must really love you.
Mine brings me HALVES of lizards. Yuck! :P

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »
Your cat must really love you.
Mine brings me HALVES of lizards. Yuck! :P

;D ;D ;D

Mine brings me dead birds & mice.....she must think I'm really hungry because she brought me a bird & mouse the same day..... lol

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
Poor Jamie! I know my Laura, being about the same age, would definitely do the same thing. Good for Jamie! She did the right thing (coons can be pretty mean).

We've got raccoons crawling up onto the pergola and eating our Concord grapes. We've had those darned grapes for a few years now, but have yet to eat a single ripe one. The raccoons see to it by eating them (by the hundreds) before they ripen. They spit the skins out all over the deck and make a huge mess.

Not to mention the poop all over the deck. Yuck- Raccoon poop and grape skins all over the table and chairs as well.  >:(- !! Gosh I love them... but I'm really annoyed at them right now!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 07:49:58 AM »
Yeah, my heart got a good workout!  :D

Savannah, when we lived in NC, our cats would do that too. ::)

Karen, with all the vineyards around here, you'd think the raccoons wouldn't need to break into my house.
They also gotten into the birdseed in the garage a few times.  What a mess! >:(-

We went to HD yesterday and bought the Critter Ridder granules. Last longer than the spray.
Sprinkled them all around the exterior cat door and a bit out onto the lawn.
Also sprinkled some into the garbage cuz we had a combo of fresh caught bluefish, tuna and white marlin grilled for dinner.
Garbage is in the garage, one cat door away.

I read until 10-ish then fell asleep.
About midnight we heard them all out there chirping and chortling at each other.
The exterior cat door is right under the south windows of our master bedroom.
Shook hubby awake, and he said, "Sounds like they are discussing an alternative route into the house."  :o
Then they started fighting amongst each other, VERY loud screaming and screeching, very eerie cuz it's almost metallic.
Heard them banging into my plastic tumbling composters while fighting. Somehow Gigi slept through all this.
Last thing we needed was her going crazy barking all night at them.  ::)
Then they ran off into the wooded area, off and on fighting and that weird raccoon chortling/chirping.
Hopefully they moved on to someone elses house.  :D
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:21 AM »
Joyce,
Your story reminds me of the movie National Lampoons Christmas Vacation with the squirrel running through the house chased by the Rottweiler.  I imagine it was quite a chaotic scene, and I'm glad that you can laugh about afterwards.

Hope you're doing well after your surgery!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
I've got a scarey story for you. Except I wasn't very scared, but should have.

We turn off the generator at night (still no power at the house) because its cool, and we really need the generator during the hotter part of the day - fans!
So the windows were open, and the dogs were outside.
I heard the Rottweiler start growling - this is not an unusual thing.
She chases off coyotes, or imaginary coyotes most nights.
But the sound was different, and then she went into full alarm barking.
I thought it might be Roark - they have a relationship based on distrust and loathing - coming to check the generator. Which he does when he's restless.
So I wandered out the back door - and saw a total stranger walking back out the driveway toward the street.
 :o

Good dog!  @O@

So now we have to lock up like city-folks. :(

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »
 lol lol lol   Sorry, I know it isn't funny but I've done the screaming chasing raccoon dance myself though fortunately outside. At least you weren't naked.  :o

I've heard raccoons fight. Sounds more like cougars but I shined the lights in their eyes and they stopped and looked at me like "what?" They were up in the neighbor's trees. Fortunately, since they were severely trimmed, that has stopped. As as the crapping on the roof of the shed.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 07:20:52 AM »
Thanks Brian, I'm doing better!  O0
Just can't wait 'til I get permission to surf cast again cuz the blues and stripers are all over the place here.
It's pure torment for me! :'(

Savannah....GOOD DOG is right!  :o  Earned his keep in a big way!
Dontcha just wanna shoot people sometimes?  ;)

LeeAnne, no, not naked, but nearly wet myself!  lol
I have heard our raccoons do the cougar noises, but this was a full fledged battle over who was going in the cat door first.
You could hear the bodies thumping and crashing into the 2 plastic drum compost tumblers, sounded like drums. :o

Last night I put a new CO2 cartridge in my BB gun because the deer are getting up onto the deck now and eating my potted plants.
Evrything on the deck got mowed by deer Monday night.  >:(- Installed a nice brand new super charged cartridge.
Waited in the dark and watched them come...PING...PING...PING...one by one they got spanked.  lol
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
LOL I bet they leaped and ran! Hope they think twice about coming back.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »
Ya know, I sure love a good story, and your's is awesome. I won't try to top it. I've had bats in the house before, but if I had racoons in the house, I'm afraid I wouldn't be as nice as to chase them out. Man that would freak me out. That door would have to go. Deer comming on my deck and eating my plants?---They'd be hanging in my garage.
Glad to hear that you were able to deal with it after your surgery and are OK!!

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"