Author Topic: A day late and a dollar short!  (Read 1172 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A day late and a dollar short!
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
I could not believe my luck! As many of you know I have a fairly large pond out beck and I have always wanted to put some Koi in there. The only problem is that the Koi would have to be fairly large because of the gamefish that are in there. Just last week I learned that there was a Doctor at work who had 30 Koi in the 20-24 inch long range. Her husband died suddenly about a year ago and she was left tending to his water garden. It became too much for her and she wanted to GIVE AWAY these Koi to anyone who would have them. They were gorgeous and well taken care of. By the time I heard that she wanted to give them up and RAN RIGHT DOWN THERE I learned that she had given them to the Koi club so they could adopt them out that previous weekend. I was devastated, she would have given them all to me because she has seen how I keep my pond.......  :'( :'( :'(   >:(-
On the up side she has the pumps and the biofilters and UV lights that she told me she would trade for some water plants. She said she would just give them to me. I offered to help her with her water garden but she said she has two and is keeping the smallest one (one is a huge above ground and the other is a converted pool) and diisassembling the other. As she is out of town this weekend I will be talking to her next weekend.  Man had I only learned of the info a week earlier!

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: A day late and a dollar short!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
Andy, tell us about your game fish.  Wow to the story.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
Ain't it the truth Andy, but, it sounds like you are going to trade up for some very nice items.  Too bad she can't take care of both the water gardens.  I'm curious like Jerry as to what your game fish are.  Would be nice to know about them.  You said the Koi Club was going to adopt them out.  Did they find places for all of them, or would it be worth your while to see if there might be some fish still with them that need a pond? 
Jax

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
And 30 koi would have been a small addition to your lake!  Like Jax mentioned maybe you can adopt the fish with the owners referral.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »
Well I have 1 Fairly large Bass (4-5 pounds)and several smaller bass a few dozen Bream (sunfish) and  quite a few catfish (varying in range from 1 pound to 10) The bass make short work of the smaller koi so they have to be big enough to keep the bass from being even tempted to try.

I think she just wants to give her husbands stuff to someone who is as passionate about ponding as he was.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »
That's a shame you missed getting the koi, did you find out whether or not the koi club had adopted them out yet?

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
That's a shame.....sounds like the kind of luck I have..... :(
I'd  check with the koi club & see if they gave them all away or not . Maybe they have one or two left.... ;)

bonnie

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »
What a bummer Andy, yes maybe you could still get a few from the club.  The other equipment will be very nice though.  Every thing has it's time to happen and maybe there are still free or cheap koi in your future that will need a good home. ;)
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"