Author Topic: My internet connection was out all day, What about "Direct TV"  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
My internet connection was out all day, What about "Direct TV"
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:31:54 PM »
Just got it working.  Time Warner did tell me it was in my area and just wait.
I have Broadband with them but am ready to dump it.  I am told DSL Extreme is more reliable.  Any opinions?
I am ready to dump cable and go for "Direct TV" it uses a satellite.  My pal is very pleased with his.  My cable costs go up regularly and are around 90.00 per month now.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline fredinva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My internet connection was out all day, What about "Direct TV"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:08:45 AM »
Had cable internet, nice but like a highway, has slowdowns in evening when kids are gaming.
Now have DSL, a bit slower overall, but at a constant speed - no regrets at all.

DirectWay, for internet, and Direct for TV will require two dishes, one for each service.
DirectWay, or WildBlue(Dish) are not cheap. and are still slow upload speeds.

fred 

Offline pegs pond

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:36:34 AM »
Jerry we had Wild Blue internet Satellite before DSL was available here.  It was the PITS!  If it snows you loose service, at least until you go brush off the dish, if it rains hard you loose service, if you use it too much, you get cut to dial up speed for the rest of that billing period, (hubby trying to download a file that kept getting dumped before it finished!) you can't use Skype or any of the phone services as there is a delay in downloading, chat is marginal and slow, videos are also the pits, Calls to tech support got a well you ARE in a bad area for it with your weather...well DUH! why didn't you tell me that prior to install and buying all the crap?  Equipment is expensive and yes you have to have two dishes one for tv and one for satellite (which we have CHEAP set up if you are interested!  LOL) Also if you have HD tv you have THREE flipping satellites! IMHO if you have cable or DSL keep it!  If  you have 6 kps dial up (as we did) to for it and put up with it.  Just my 2 cents.
Peg

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »
We were going to get WildBlue Sat. internet until they told us they needed our SS# , our Credit card # ( don't own one & hope we never need one) & they wanted to do a background check on us  >:( .....I told them to forget it because I felt like I was applying for a bank loan instead of trying to get faster internet......we have dial up by the way . The phone company keeps telling us that DSL is around the corner , so hopefully it'll get here soon . Everyone that has it loves it .

bonnie

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:49:34 AM »
We were going to get WildBlue Sat. internet until they told us they needed our SS# , our Credit card # ( don't own one & hope we never need one) & they wanted to do a background check on us  >:( .....I told them to forget it because I felt like I was applying for a bank loan instead of trying to get faster internet......we have dial up by the way . The phone company keeps telling us that DSL is around the corner , so hopefully it'll get here soon . Everyone that has it loves it .

bonnie

They asked for your SS#?!!?  That sounds  super fishy to me.  There is no reason for them to be asking for that piece of info unless like you said you are applying for a loan, but to buy a product? That's suspicious... I mean seriously, if you are going to give them cash or cut them a check what do they need either your SSN or Credit card info for, they got paid and can just wait for the check to clear. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
yep, do not give them your SS#, the only place I know that needs it is ATT&T, and I gave it to them, because they said it was necessary, and I gave them my credit card number since I was paying with it.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »
I am told the last 4 didgets will suffice.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
I think it's for the credit check they run on you before granting the privilege of allowing you to pay for tv  {nono}

Offline fredinva

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:46:05 AM »

bonnie

They asked for your SS#?!!?  That sounds  super fishy to me.  There is no reason for them to be asking for that piece of info unless like you said you are applying for a loan, but to buy a product? That's suspicious... I mean seriously, if you are going to give them cash or cut them a check what do they need either your SSN or Credit card info for, they got paid and can just wait for the check to clear. 

It's not buying, it's leasing!
For DirectWay, WildBlue, Directv, or Dish, SS# and credit card are required. It is simply a credit review(bounced against Equifax and such) before they give (lease) you hundreds of dollars of equipment for a free install.
No charges are applied to your card and it is safe.
Happens everyday for new direct and dish subscribers.

fred

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"