Author Topic: azolla  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
azolla
« on: September 27, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
I hate to ask, but does anyone have azolla for postage.

Thanks

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: azolla
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:42:32 PM »
Once you get it, you will probably be unable to get rid of it. In our climate it is a scourge and you are not that much different in climate unless you live in far north OK.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »
Yes, I agree. Even here in the northeast ,it took several years to make it go bye-bye. Overflowing the pond finally did the trick.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »
I think it just depends on your climate. Freezing temps during winter usually kill it off. If we have a mild winter it will sometimes come back.

Personally, I rather like it. Sure, you have to control it and scoop it out but I like the way it looks in my watergardens. In the fall when temps cool it turns red and I think its rather pretty.

I can send you some if you still want it.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Missa

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »
I think it just depends on your climate. Freezing temps during winter usually kill it off. If we have a mild winter it will sometimes come back.

Personally, I rather like it. Sure, you have to control it and scoop it out but I like the way it looks in my watergardens. In the fall when temps cool it turns red and I think its rather pretty.

I can send you some if you still want it.

Yes, please.
I tried once earlier this summer & it died. I really like the looks of it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:04:58 AM »
I have extra as well. I'm composting it like crazy.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »
i would love some also.... lorraine
lorraine

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »
The stuff is kind picky so find out the conditions it came from ie. light, water temp things like that and try to match them best you can. If I pull it from the pond and put it in a tank in the house it will fade and die, if I do the opasit it does the same. It is not rampent in this area. The cold helps to keep it check.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »
I'm shocked that I've got so much of it after the snow and ice we had. I've been composting it all winter out of the greenhouse pond but it is still alive in the outdoor ponds as well. It is mixed with duckweed but in the past, never lived.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:35:29 AM »
Hi LeeAnne,
I just joined the group a few minutes ago and was checking out the site. Do you still have lots of unwanted Azolla and if so could I give you postage for it? I've never done this before so I was wondering what is the cost to ship it? I live in Arlington, Washington. Not too far from you. I was told that I should have floating plants on the top of my pond and I have lillies and Parrot's feather but need more.   
                                                              Thanks,
                                                                           Janice

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
Hi Janice, yes, I do still have it but it is likely too cold to send it to you, most of it is in my greenhouse. Postage is $4.95 for Priority and I do have a PayPal account.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
Oh that would be great if when the weather gets warmer and you have an over abundance I could get some from you. When do you think that would be...........prolly in the summer? Please let me know as I will be sooooooooo happy to get some finally. I have been looking for awhile.
                                                         Thanks so much,
                                                                                Janice

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »
Hi LeeAnne,
I've set up a paypal account but have to wait for 3-5 days to verify tiny bank deposits of paypal to prove I own the account. I have some questions in regards to the Azolla. Do you leave it outside all winter and it will come back in the spring? Or does it just stay afloat all year? I am in zone 7. I have a greenhouse that I can put some in a big tub for winter. If I do that do I need to put fertilizer in the water or just leave it alone? I'm so excited. Someone near me gave me some frogbit and some duckweed but I put it in my inside aquarium and only a bit of it out in the pond to see what it would do. I wonder if I should just put it all outside as the aquarium may not be enough light for it or will it be too much of a shock to it if we get another freeze? Thanks for your input.
                                        Janice

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 10:35:07 AM »
Our ponding season here isn't even close to starting up yet. We have such dreary springs that I never get waterlily blooms until June.

I do not fertilize my azolla. It does not need it. I used to lose it every year and had to buy more but for some reason it has survived the last few winters even outside of the greenhouse though I'm not sure it would survive in the mail at this time. It might.

My greenhouse pond is heated to 70* I don't have high pressure sodium lights though I need them.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Yes you are in Portland and I am in Arlington, Wa. not too far from you. Our temps are pretty similar except you get more warmth in the summer I believe. What do you use to heat your green house. I used to heat mine but I only had an electric heater. No fan, it just circulates a fluid that heats up. I ran separate fans to circulate. It did a good job but I'm trying to cut down on the electricity usage. But if that's what I must do to save my pond plants then that is what I will do. Put some big tubs in there and save the little buggers. I will do a test next winter. Leave some in pond and some in greenhouse with heat.
Sodium lights? Do those suck up the electricity?
                                                              Janice

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »
Should be safe to send azolla long before June, I realized my post looked like I was saying June.

Anyway, I use an electric heater, it does suck up electricity. Lights suck up a lot of electricity which is one reason I don't have any yet. I am having a humidity problem in there as well. I don't have a fan running. I guess I need one.

Panels blew out in the storm in Dec and the heater was running running running. We had huge bills. I have a lot of tropical plants in there and must heat it. I keep them in there year 'round, not just in winter.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
Well I well be patient and wait for more warmth. I have 3 fans in my greenhouse and have them on timers. If it's real hot I use them all but at other times maybe only one will be running. I turn them off at night unless I have the heat on in there. It helps circulation. I will just have to bite the bullet and put heat in there in the winter to save the pond plants. Anyway what's more important...........heating bills or plants? Plants of course! I'm trying to sprout some palm seeds I picked up from the zoo in Seattle. They are hardy palms (Windmill palms) and so I may just need to use the greenhouse to store them next winter anyway and they will need some warmth when they are little. I sprouted 3 real nice palms from seed a few yrs ago and they are in the ground now and making it through the cold winters. I planted them next to my pond. I will have to post the picture. I love the tropical look and I know I really belong somewhere in the tropics but alas this is home for now anyway. Who knows where we will end up when hubby retires in 2 yrs.

That's a bummer about your panels. One time the wind blew one of my self opening vents all cockeyed and that was in the middle of summer! Just a freak windstorm.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »
I don't have problems with heat in the summer. I bought shade cloth and ended up taking it back off because the plants were stretching. We sold our camper and it was blocking a lot of sun so now that it is gone the greenhouse will get more light. Going to trim the neighbor's arborvitaes more too.

My greenhouse is very small, 6 x 8 but it is fun. Except for all the bugs. I've got serious aphids and spider mites.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
Our cable was out yesterday due to a huge tree that fell and knocked out everyone's power. Had some big winds and had to use our generator for several hours. Helped with lights but still no cable for even longer. So I didn't get to check what was going on in here.

Geez my green house gets quite hot in the summer...........sometimes over 100* but it's right out in the hot sun (who says it doesn't get hot sometimes here in Western Wa.) with nothing shading it but my shade cloth so I must use all 3 fans and open vents and screen door. Sometimes I use a mister I made by hanging a hose down from the ceiling and putting a mister nozzle on the end to cool it down in there. I rigged it so it doesn't actually get the tomatoes wet as then I might have very upset toms. I mostly use my green house to grow tomatoes and they don't mind the heat. I'm gonna put a trough of water in there in the winter like you have for my pond plants that need to get out of the freeze. I checked out your wonderful pics that you posted. You have done a nice job and all your plants and flowers look great! Get's me all energetic to improve my place. Do you think if I put the trough under the table in the g-house which has a southern exposure that the plants will get enough light? As that time of the year the light is coming in at a lower angle.

I get the bugs sometimes too and I take everything out and spray the g-house with water and then don't put anything in for a bit and that helps. I suppose you could use a good bug spray before you put plants in too.  Anyway it is fun as you said!
                         Janice

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »
Mine all died I guess.  :(

May have to try again. LOL

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »
We had a couple of late frosts that set mine back.  >:(-
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline fishwoman

• Members
  • With us since: 04/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
Hi LeAnne151,

Might you have any Azolla available for postage?  If so, I live in Coopersburg, PA 18036 and have a paypal account, please let me know if you have any available.

Many Thanks! o(

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
If the power goes off our greenhouse will get up over 140 within a few minutes..the tomato plants like hot..but not quite THAT hot.  And that is with shade cloth..but I guess it helps being on the east side of the mts.

Our cable was out yesterday due to a huge tree that fell and knocked out everyone's power. Had some big winds and had to use our generator for several hours. Helped with lights but still no cable for even longer. So I didn't get to check what was going on in here.

Geez my green house gets quite hot in the summer...........sometimes over 100* but it's right out in the hot sun (who says it doesn't get hot sometimes here in Western Wa.) with nothing shading it but my shade cloth so I must use all 3 fans and open vents and screen door. Sometimes I use a mister I made by hanging a hose down from the ceiling and putting a mister nozzle on the end to cool it down in there. I rigged it so it doesn't actually get the tomatoes wet as then I might have very upset toms. I mostly use my green house to grow tomatoes and they don't mind the heat. I'm gonna put a trough of water in there in the winter like you have for my pond plants that need to get out of the freeze. I checked out your wonderful pics that you posted. You have done a nice job and all your plants and flowers look great! Get's me all energetic to improve my place. Do you think if I put the trough under the table in the g-house which has a southern exposure that the plants will get enough light? As that time of the year the light is coming in at a lower angle.

I get the bugs sometimes too and I take everything out and spray the g-house with water and then don't put anything in for a bit and that helps. I suppose you could use a good bug spray before you put plants in too.  Anyway it is fun as you said!
                         Janice
Mary

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:29 PM »
Yikes that is hot! Fried green tomatoes is on the menu  :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"