Author Topic: How did this happen??  (Read 1228 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How did this happen??
« on: September 27, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
I had some bee balm in a flower bed in the back yard and it became invaisive.  I transplanted some of it in a flower bed at the front of the house with less space to become less invaisive. Then I removed that in the back yard intirely. Well, in the back yard the flowers were the red ones in the first pic.  The ones I transpanted into the front bed are the second pic, which is an intirely different flower shape and color. Is there a way to get the flower to return to the red flower???

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How did this happen??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:58:08 PM »
Wish I could help but I'm unfamiliar with growing bee balm
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »
That's not bee balm, that is blue mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum) I believe.
You may have divided the Monarda (bee balm) but Conoclinium coelestinum can reseed from the wild, or seeds blowing in from your neighbors.
It obviously overgrew and possibly choked out the bee balm.
You need to divided the bee balm again and plant it next to the blue mistflower. 8)
Or yank the blue mistflower and plant another division of bee balm its place.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
Ok, Joyce, I hear what you are saying, but I swear, I pulled up some of the same plant stalks that had been red and transpanted them in the front yard.  I could see if there were some blue and some red but it is all blue flowers. I am just totally stunned.   :-\  I am going to try and wait it out to next year and see what it all looks like then. If I still only have the blue I will have to get more of the bee balm as I have been successful in getting it out of the back yard, which was the plan.  Thanks for the infor tho. I can believe the plants that are blooming in the front are the blue mist flower.  A friend of mine that I gave some of the bee blam to is very ok with the blue flowers.  I am just not as happy with them.

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »
Joyce is right, you've got two different plants. I'm sure you did divide and transplant the bee balm but it isn't what is blooming in the second picture.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
THe second plant doesn't seem to have the same leaf as bee balm, and certainly not the flower either.  Of course I'm no help, cuz I don't know what it is, but I know it's not bee balm.... :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"