Author Topic: Wanted: Lotus Seeds  (Read 1865 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wanted: Lotus Seeds
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
A friend of mine would like to try growing lotus from seeds in her greenhouse.  I don't think she is picky, as long as they are dwarf.  Please let me know if anyone has any available.  Thanks everyone.
Alfonso

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Lotus Seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »
I have lotus seeds, but although some may have come from dwarf plants, they are hybrid so the pollen may have come from a larger plant. With seeds, if the plant is a hybrid, you can still not know what the seed will produce.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
That is tricky.  I'll ask her what she thinks.  Thanks Frank.
Alfonso

Offline matherfish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:24 AM »
Alfonzo, Does your friend want seeds that may or may not turn out dwarf plants? I have some seeds. 

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
She said she'll wait till tubers are available.  Thanks for the offer, Frank.   O0  I know you have a great variety of tubers during the season as well.  I'm sure she'll do business with you and so will I. 
Alfonso

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »
Thanks Alfonzo. I do not mind sending you seeds, but didn't want your friend to expect one thing and get another. Seeds are fun to grow, and may produce a nice plant, but there are no guarantees on them, and it does take longer to get the plant to bloom. I find tubers much more enjoyable. Unfortuneately, many try to raise lotuses from seeds, and when they do not survive, or take a long time to produce blooms, they give up on raising lotuses. Tubers are much more reliable and are easier to get to survive. I am not saying that it is not worthwhile to raise the plants from seeds, just giving you my opinion on both methods.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info.  She has a type of lotus that grows large.  Her pond isn't too big and I'm not sure why she wouldn't take the chance. 

If you don't mind, Frank, I'll try the seeds.  If I'm successful and patient, I'll just give her the plants. 
Alfonso

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »
 :'(I have tried growing lotus from seed many times, Getting them germinate is easy, easy. They grow great send out little runners and then they just Die. Cant figure the problem. Any feed back out there? I have seeds just gotta get over this particular problem.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"