Author Topic: Braeden's surgery  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Braeden's surgery
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »
is tomorrow at 1:00. They figure it'll take about 4-6 hours.

I get to pick up Eliana from school and then make supper for the kids.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Braeden's surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
Prayers and healing vibes ALL day long!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »
Prayers. :(
ITs so unfair for the young to suffer so. What a brave child.

Offline Roark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »
is tomorrow at 1:00. They figure it'll take about 4-6 hours.

I get to pick up Eliana from school and then make supper for the kids.

Esther:  For us new-folks who are just tuning-in, can you give us some background on what's happening here? 

Best of luck and heartfelt wishes to Braeden!!!!  We're pullin' for ya!!!

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:10:03 AM »
Thanks Roark. This has been going on for so long that I just assumed everybody knew what I was babbling about. Thanks for reminding me.

Braeden is my 3 year old grandson. During April of 2007 just before he turned 2, my son and his wife noticed Braeden was beginning to stumble and walk funny at times. So they took him to the pediatritian thinking it was an inner ear problem. Then they checked for a brain tumor. Then they sent him to a neurologist who diagnosed, on his birthday, Neuroblastoma Cancer coupled with some other malady called OMS that I can't pronounce. Somehow the imbalance came from the immune system recognizing the cancer and in the course of trying to fight it, caused the OMS thing. I don't understand it very well.

It is suspected that Neuroblastoma Cancer begins growing in the unborn baby because most children diagnosed with it are around two and it's even been found in newborn babies. Sometimes the tumor is in the brain by the eye but most of the time is on the Adrenal gland just under the rib cage on the left side. At this time there are only around 650 cases in the US but this cancer has the largest number of patients who are young children. Because it is not very well known, funding for it is hard to get, so there's not much money for research and not many researchers are interested in it. It is a very difficult Cancer to cure as it doesn't seem to respond in the same way to treatment in each patient. What might work for one doesn't work for the next patient. If you look at statistics, the prognosis isn't very good. Often even when the patient survives, there are ongoing neurological problems from the OMS. Not all Neuroblastoma patients experience the OMS. Thus far, Braeden seems to be developing normally and they think that somehow the OMS may have been eradicated by the chemo.

Braeden had a softball size tumor removed shortly after his 2nd birthday (it was pressing on his heart causing it to not function correctly), a harvest of his stem cells, then 5 sessions of chemo which took 5 days of hospitalization, 6 rounds of radiation, an extra strong chemo which shut down his immune system, stem cell transplant, and 32 days of hospital isolation + 70 days of isolation at home. Twice he was hospitalized because of infection. Dawn stayed with him 24/7 the whole time. Then began 12 months of drug therapy, of which he had completed 6 when the new tumor was discovered about 6-8 weeks ago.

About three months ago during a regular quarterly CT scan they found one tumor. Then during the CT scan last week they saw that the original has grown and a new one has developed right next to it. He is part way through the 3rd session of chemo and they were hoping it would have shrunk the first one at least.  The tumors are at the same site as the first. I am assuming that this "cocktail" of chemo drugs is different from the first set.

September 11, Dawn gave birth to Owen Joshua. He is doing well but of course complicates their lives even more. Ian is 13 and Eliana is 7 and seem to be handling this pretty well. They attend a church in the village near them and the people there have been wonderful about helping in any way they can. Even today I have to go up to get the kids from school and give them supper, I was told someone had dropped off chicken noodle soup for supper. A local boy scout group and another church even brought things to help the family and there was no connection to our family. They were just doing a good deed. They have had anonymous gifts arrive in the mail. I was there one day when Kevin opened an envelope that came in the mail. He began to cry and of course I wondered what was wrong. It was an unsigned money order for $700. They live about an hour's drive from the hospital so with gas prices and having to go to town 5 days a week,  has taken a toll on their finances and the life of their vehicles. Kevin works 45 minutes from home too.

Many here have been praying for our family and giving me emotional support which is very welcome. Krista suggested sending cards a while back and maybe now would be a good time. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you Braeden's name and address.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:41:18 AM by Esther »

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 06:12:40 AM »
Sending you all very positive healing/recovering vibes and praying that everything is going as planned. 

Kuan

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:09 AM »
Good luck to him, and keep us posted!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
Prayers to you, your family and to Braeden.   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
Can't wait for an update...praying real hard here until I do, and then some more!  (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »
Esther,

I've had little Braeden in my thoughts all day today. So very sad that this little guy has to go through this again.

Karen

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »
any updates? He's in my thoughts as are all of you.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
Esther, I'm speechless.   :'(

You have a PM...

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »
Esther, I did pray for little Braeden today (and will continue to do so), I'm sorry I didn't post earlier. Thanks also for posting the background again, it was a reminder of what the poor little boy has gone through. I hope he pulls through this surgery with flying colors.

Hugs.  :hug:
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
Esther,
y thoughts and prayers go out to little Braeden!!!!  I also send all my prayers to you and rest of family. I can not imagine what you all must be going through. Please keep us posted. o(:-)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. Surgery took over 6 hours because the cancer was wrapped around the veins leading to his left kidney. So in order to get as much as possible, they had to remove that kidney. The surgeon thought he had gotten all the visable tumor. But mentioned twice today that if this didn't work, they were near the end of the rope when it comes to available treatments that haven't been tried.

Dawn stayed at the hospital and Kevin is taking care of the new baby and the two older kids. A lady from church will take the baby when Kevin has to be away.

I have a terrible cold and shouldn't be around the baby or Braeden. So I guess cooking and doing for the older kids is about all I can do.

Offline oregon duck

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
I have been a frequent lurker on this forum for 6-7 years and never posted, but I just had to let you know I am praying for a healthy outcome for your grandson and strength for you and your family.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 05:40:57 AM »
Thanks OD, so kind of you to stop in and give us/me encouragement. I must admit I didn't do very well last night. The only thing that kept me from crying all the way home was knowing if I cried, I couldn't see to drive and on those back roads, deer are always a threat. I saw 2 groups of 4, in the ditch and at the side of the road. Back in January, my son (Braeden's daddy) had borrowed my car and hit a deer on the way to work. It totaled it.

Now that you have jumped in the pond, stick around and let us get to know you. We love pictures so why not tell us about yourself.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 06:11:44 AM »
Esther, my thoughts remain with Braeden, you and the rest of the family.  So, so hard for you all.  That's a very big surgery that Braeden has to recover from on top of everything else he has had to cope with.  I'm so sorry.  emm

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:35 AM »
oh wow.. i am just speachless.  ((((((((gentle hugs))))))0
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »
Esther, even though I didn't say anything before, I have been following this thread and praying for Braeden (and you and the rest of the family).   o(:-)

Thanks for the update.  I'm thankful that they think they got all of the cancer, but I'm so sorry that he had to lose a kidney.  :'(   I'll keep praying that he gets through all this successfully.  Hang in there, sweetie.   :hug:

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 06:58:35 AM »
Here is today's Care Pages:

Happy Friday! Braeden continues to heal. We moved down to 7S yesterday evening. Anesthesia had turned down Bub's epidural, but ended up turning it back up after the move. Since then, he hasn't needed any extra pain medicine, and had a very restful night. He went to sleep early and slept until about 11, had some juice and watched a couple short videos, then went back to sleep for the night. Surgery removed his bandages this morning, and his nurse removed his foley cath. Anesthesia turned down his epidural again to give it another try. He's been kind of quiet with so many people messing with him this morning, but we've seen a few "thumbs ups" so he must be feeling somewhat more like himself. His rash on his chest is almost completely healed, so now we need to find something that won't make it come back. I am hoping to get him moving a little today, even though he's sore. We'll take it slow. He's been sipping some juice and water and eating a little popcicle--all good signs! We hope you all have a good weekend, thank you for your continued prayers, and we will keep updating!

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 07:05:42 AM »
Good news!  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 10:06:08 AM »
Wonderful news and continued prayers!  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
That is good news , Esther  O0
Keeping them all in my prayers too .

bonnie

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »
Been away for a while, but prayers have continued.......glad to hear the update, hope all continues for the good.  Prayers and hugs.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
I'm glad he's recovering nicely, as always he's in my prayers.   o(:-)

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
Esther all my prayers to your family...keep us posted..   lorraine
lorraine

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »
I am so glad to hear that Braeden is doing better.  Sending more healing vibes to him.  Thank you for the update.

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »
He's not recovering from this surgery as quickly as the first but this surgery was more invasive so I suppose this is normal. They said he had to have oxygen but sometimes morphine causes patients to not breath as deeply. Plus we wondered if he has discovered that it hurts when he breaths deeply so instinctively doesn't. Kevin said he didn't want to be moved or to move and they had to get him going to get the internal organs to function. So by Saturday night, he was eating, having proven that the organs were doing what they were supposed to. LOL. And he was playing on the floor with Dawn so slowly but surely is improving. Oh and they said the remaining kidney is cranking out the yellow stuff big time.

I came down with a terrible cold Wednesday, the day of surgery so haven't dared show my face at the hospital. I haven't heard when he can come home.

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »
I'm still thinking of all of you even though I haven't been here much lately.  I sure hope this latest round for him is the winning round.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"