Author Topic: How long does it take a new cat to make friends with 2 resident cats?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I adopted a new cat (adult female) a little over 3 weeks ago and I already have 2 other cats (females) who tolerate each other but don't snuggle up to each other like I had hoped they would.  I put the new cat in a bedroom with the door closed the first week and she is still in there but with a baby gate so hopefully the cats can get used to each other and make friends.  On occasion (not very often) my cats will stop by the baby gate and look at the new one.  There is still hissing, growling and tail twitching going on from all the cats although it doesn't seem as bad as it was in the beginning.  How much longer before this new cat can come out and be a part of the household?  I know a lot of members have more than one cat and I would appreciate any suggestions.  I just want everyone to get along  :'(  Thank goodness there are no problems with my dog.  She loves everyone!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:34:53 AM by fishlipsmcgee »
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take a new cat to make friends with 2 residant cats?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:28:18 AM »
I have had the same problem with the new cat running to the basement and I guess only came out at night because we could see that the litter box was used and the food eaten. Eventually she ventured upstairs and then slept next to the dog, if he let her. I probably would take down the baby gate and see how they handle it. They'll find their level of relationship eventually.  OH I saw on Animal Planet where they took the one cat and rubbed them with their hands and then rubbed the other cat to get their scents mixed. So the old cats will smell themselves on the new cat and vice versa.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take a new cat to make friends with 2 residant cats?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:53:22 AM »
If the cat has been in the house for three weeks, they've had time to get used to the fact that it's there.  They might get to be friends quickly, but unless they are kittens it's not likely.  If the new one is a kitten and the other two are adults, the new kitten a little more likely to win them over and become friends with them.

A lot of it depends on the cats and their personalities.  We had 3 cats . . . two were great friends and the third didn't bother the first two and they didn't bother her.  Then one died of old age and one disappeared and we had one cat left.  She's rather shy and quiet.  When we got a new cat, he was bouncy and full of personality (and mischief - he's in the ceiling right now!).  The two of them have been together for 2 years and still don't really like each other.  The younger one likes to chase the older one around and scare her and the older one hates the younger one. 

The dog loves them both but is smart enough to stay away from the older one. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take a new cat to make friends with 2 resident cats?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
Might as well take the gate down and see how it goes.  Usually, like Teresa said, it depends totally on each cat's personality.  But in my experience, unless they were litter mates OR were brought into your home at the same time, they will tolerate each other but not really be buddies.  I would really watch the other cats for "spraying" (peeing anywhere that's not in the litter box) because cats are VERY TERRITORIAL and will pee places you don't want them too when feeling threatened by a newcomer.  And yes, females spray territorially just as males do.  It is a smell that "keeps on giving" for a LOOOONNNGGG time  :no:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 07:51:01 PM »
i had a cat of 15 years pass away last june. i adopted a nice cat from the rescue foundation and i thought it would be a cake walk. i had them sequestered for three months and then took the barrier down. the older cat just hated the new kitty. there is peace in the house now, but it took a very long time

louis

Offline ladybug

• Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:37:36 AM »
we had a cat all by herself for like 6 years.  we thought she might be lonely and needed a friend.  boy were we wrong. some cats are loners and they mean they are loners.  she never warmed up to the other cat, hated its guts quite frankly.  i won't say it was a bad decision, but i know she would have been much happier to not have a buddy cat.  hope yours goes better than ours did.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 05:09:43 AM »
My dad was a veterinarian. He taught me that it is never a good idea to separate cats when one is introduced to an existing pet. The reasoning behind that is that they need to establish a pecking order, and by separating them, you are keping them from doing this. Also, when one is separated from the other, YOU are creating a pecking order, giving false signals to both cats.

We were just adopted by Alley Cat (Alexandra Catherine), and we kept her in Jamies playroom in the basement for 2 days, just to make sure she knew how to use a litter box. She was a tiny little skinny thing, about 8-10 weeks old, but once we knew she was litter box trained, she was allowed to run loose in the house with our other 5 cats. Now SHE refuses to get along with the others, SHE wont share her food, SHE doesn't want to share her humans. SHE is very 'Alpha'. But slowly the others are getting to her, nuturing her to be friendly. Right now she is sitting on my computer table between the keyboard and myself. Purring. As close to the center of my attention as possible. Putting up with the clacking of the keyboard and the fact that I am paying a bit more attention to the computer than her.

My 5 other cats are not related. But they all get along, some sleep together, some simply ignore each other. But there is no animosity. Just like humans, all cats are their own personality. And they can be moody.
Like Teresa, our oldest one is the queen. No one messes with her...period.

Now Alley Cay is absolutely not tolerating this computer, she is crawling up on me and attacking my hands as I type. Gotta take a break and give her want she wants! o(:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:44:56 AM »
Well at everyone's suggestion ~ the gate is down.  September laid half in & half out of the bedroom at first last evening, then ventured to a safe corner just outside the bedroom door.  The other two (Jasmine & Jezebel) just ignored her - they were too busy begging at dinnertime.   8-)~ This morning September took to her safe corner and she and Jezebel were having a starring contest through the living room.  I was surprised to see that she had ventured all the way down the hall and was checking out the den & guest bath.  She's a little skittish when not in the safety of her "guest suite" but so far there hasn't been any fur flying so I guess all is going well.  Thanks for all your help & suggestions.  I'll update & post pictures soon.   We've got our greyhound fundraiser spaghetti dinner this Sat. so I've been baking up a storm for the bake sale.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
What did you decide to bake for the sale?

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:18:39 PM »
I have 3 loaves of zucchini bread and 3 kinds of biscotti in the freezer.  The past 2 days I made doggie treats thanks to your & Teresa's encouragement (peanut butter bones, a pumpkin & apple swirl danish, carob chip cookies and turkey gobblers made with ground turkey) that will be packaged together in an assortment.  Tomorrow I will make a loaf or two of banana bread and give Jenny her bath.  I am still hoping to make a batch of cookies, a really fudgy frosted brownie recipe that uses a pound of butter, and a sour cream cinnamon streusel coffee cake (bundt).  I don't know if I'll accomplish everything because I have to allow time to package everything and make the labels on the computer which is more time consuming than one would think.  Thankfully I didn't tell anyone of my aggressive baking plans so if I don't get everything done I won't feel like I'm letting anyone down. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 05:30:14 AM »
You will be proud to hear the compliments you'll receive. It sounds like you have been baking your heart out. It's for a good cause.

I have a label software  called Label Factory Deluxe and it works pretty well. It has lots of clip art to add to the label. Otherwise I use my Creatacard Gold software to do labels.  I used flourescent color labels to put on the baked goods baggies that I take to the hospital for the staff. They have a heart on the left side and say, From Our Hearts, To Your Hands, With Much Appreciation, From the Family of, Orlin Bestrom. I made rice krispie treats,  chocolate chip, sugar and peanutbutter cookies so far. It doesn't take long and they dissappear. I am buying inexpensive wrapped candy and apples to put in his basket too.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »
You guys are making me HUNGRY! 8-)~
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:19:57 AM »
Well so far, so good.  September is venturing out a little farther and so far no problems.  Here are pictures of the girls. Jasmine is the Siamese mix, Jezebel (the naughty, but cute one) is the tabby and the new little Miss September is black & white.

I know the hospital staff must really love that Esther.   That's so nice of you.  Your dad is still in my prayers.

Esther, I had MS Home Publisher on the computer I just replaced 2 months ago and I loved it.  I sure miss it.  I am stuck with MS Works until I get it for this computer.  I still have my old computer set up but I don't have the printer attached.  I'm too chicken to reformat the old hard drive and get rid of ther computer because I'm afraid there is something on it that I forgot to transfer to this computer.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 06:42:05 PM by fishlipsmcgee »

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 09:37:57 AM »
The girls are Gorgeous!

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:47:37 PM »
they have taken over the house. i love it. :)

lou

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 04:53:19 PM »
What gorgeous girls!  They should keep everyone entertained for sure  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 01:50:45 AM »
They're looking pretty comfy to me!

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 06:52:11 AM »
Yes, they have taken over the house alright and the do have the comfy life!  The trick will be getting them close enough together for a group shot.  September is venturing out more & more every day and there haven't been any of the fights that I was worried about so I think we'll be OK.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 08:25:39 AM »
I love your kitties. What does Jenny think of the cats. I would think she wasn't ever exposed to them before your house.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 08:35:21 AM »
Ahhh--Choo...
All animals seem drawn to me. The only problem is I am allergic to cats. They always want to be next to me even in a new situation or someone I don't know. I seem to be a magnet but all I want to do is sit on some wooden furniture to avoid their fur...
This is what I look like at holidays at my In laws...  {nono}  :o  :'(
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »
Um, Tim, I think someone needs to explain the cat facts of life to you . . . . the people they are most drawn to are those that are afraid of cats . . . . they will mob them without mercy . . . second most drawn to those that hate cats . . . those they take great pleasure in surprising by jumping on them . . . third most favorite are those that are allergic because they are convinced it's all in their heads . . . . each cat feels it's their duty to try to convert one or more non-believer  . . . . until you convert to a cat lover, they'll all love you to sneezles and wheezles!

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 09:53:35 AM »
Forgive me oh great cat gods. I have sinned!!!!
I hope you my congregation can forgive me.... Oops that was from a preacher....
Is that now considered Cat Heresy?

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »
Pretty girls!!
Glad to hear things are going well with the introduction. :)
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"