Author Topic: update on the Merida ponds *New Pics 6/09*  (Read 10679 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
update on the Merida ponds *New Pics 6/09*
« on: October 10, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
Things are moving along, the inside pond has a concrete wall about an inch below the water level to act as a skimmer.  The water falls into a deep well with a pump at the bottom.  From the pump it will go up behind the wall to where you can see the white pvc sticking out.  There will be 3 long concrete boxes as bog filters there and it will fall back into the pond. 

I plan to plant ferns in the boxes, there is a skylight above for filtered light. I'm also hoping to put some Phal orchids behind the ferns or maybe attached to the wall above.

The outside pond came out much better than I had anticipated.  It has rocks concreted to the wall side but several inches under the water line for plants.  The 'waterfall' is really water running over the rocks and into the pond, very little falling so the lilies should like it.  Not as good for aerating the water though so I have to consider that in what fish I put in there.  Right now it is leaking, they think from a crack in the big rock on the bottom.  I suggested they try transparent silicon sealer but I don't know what they are going to do.  If they can't fix it they may have to remove that rock.  I hope not,  I like the way it looks. 

This is from above with the water running in over the rocks.  The pump is in the rock lined hole at the bottom of the picture.  There is a pipe from the bottom that runs into that well and the rocks on top of the separation are not concreted on so water overflows between them into the well.  I can turn off the water coming from the bottom and probably will so that #1 the pump can't empty the pond and #2 I can try to rig up some kind of filter. 

This will be my lily pond, full sun until about 2pm and then shade comes from the wall side as it gets later.

Here the water is down and you can see the rocks attached to the sides.  The water return is a small white pvc coming out of the wall on the bottom left of the picture.  That will eventually be covered by another rock.  The water just flows over those rocks and into the pond without much of a drop.

Here is most of the yard from above.  I had them break out the pavers along the back wall and put a slightly raised bed there for bamboo and heliconia.  The unpaved area at the bottom is pretty much all of the ground planting I have.  The soil is less than a foot deep before bedrock so most of my plants will be in pots.  I think I will put a palm, perhaps a Flor de Maya or Plumeria and some kind of low ground cover. 

I'm now leaning towards having schools of small fish in the outside pond because I don't think the current filtration will work for any large fish.  I'm going to see what I can rig up though once they get the leak fixed and I am living there to mess with it. 

The thing I'm most excited about this week is the iron work is being installed.  We took a piece of the pattern on an old iron door that was on the kitchen door and they replicated it for the banisters.  It came out really nice.  We are going to mount the original door on the wall of the upstairs terrace. 

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: update on the Merida ponds - pics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
I don't know what to comment of first.The inside pond I have a hard time figuring out. I'll wait till it's going, but will be very cool to have it. The outside pond, I sure hope that they do everything to not loose the big rock. it looks awesome. The overall theme, if I can use that term is ROCK,  everywhere. I think that that rock wall is so cool. I would be a pleasure to see in person when it's done for sure. The iron work is beautiful. You have great taste. I love it. you will have a spectacular house when it's all done, and the pleasure of having designed it.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »
Jonna.......WOW, that does not even begin to express my thoughts.  Everything looks soooo nice.  The tile work next to the inside pond will accent the greens and the water very nice, can't wait to see a finished picture.  The outside pond turned out very nice, I love the stone in the center and the end, puts such a natural look to the concrete pond, I truely hope they can figure out the leak and fix it without removing the large stone, that is the center piece, I can imagine all the little fish swimming around it.   The iron work is Fantabulous!!!!  How nice to find a craftsman that could replicate it, and adding the original as a decrative wall piece will look great.  Keep posting your pictues, it's so much fun to see the progress.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
Oh very nice Jonna. Also thinking good thoughts on being able to keep that rock.

Your neighbours must love what you are doing too.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
WOW!  Looking so fabulous!  Your piece of the rock is turning into a temple.  Your design is awe inspiring.  Love the indoor and outdoor ponds, pool, and floating staircase and ironwork.  What gave me the thought of temple are the round columns just inside the opening to the large pond - similar to Greek resort/ Roman spa style.  Very nice!

Can't wait to see what progress you have to show next!

Offline Sonny

• Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
It is just beautiful  o(:-)  The rock creates a sort of cave-like feel and it looks as though the ponds could be fed by natural springs; lends itself to the Roman bath/spa feel like Annette said.

When considering fish I'd check the water for such things as hardness, ph, etc.  With all that rock it is likely to have an effect and may dictate the types of fish.

The stairs look great!  The only thing I wonder about is the stalagmite-type pieces sticking up in the railing.  The look like they could impale.   :o  Do you have pets?  My cats like to walk between the stair railings. :(
Jim

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »
wow its beautiful  o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) lorraine
lorraine

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 01:25:20 PM »
Thanks all.  My architect is in Ireland on vacation and returns tomorrow, we are waiting for his input on the rock and the pond leak.  I think they can keep it and that worst case would be some concrete on the crack.  We'll see though. 

Yes, it does look like the water is coming into the pond from a spring. I'm really happy with all of the rock work.  The walls are original, they were just covered with different layers of plaster and paint, they chipped that back to the original mamposteria.  The outside shower is a hoot, it pours over a rock and out of the wall.  I have a picture I took when they were testing it, they do need to rework the drainage below as it doesn't drain the right direction. I've suggested they route it into the planter where I am putting the timber bamboo.  We removed the shower from the plans for the downstairs bathroom as both bedrooms are upstairs and I wanted more space in my storeroom next door.  Instead, I asked for one in the yard that could be used after going in the pool (or the pond) and I love the design.

The columns are traditional to the colonial style, these were made with concrete not stone though - much cheaper.  The guy who makes them is a real artist.  He uses more stones in the mix or a chunkier mix somehow.  They are poured and then once they are dry he uses what looks like a metal meat tenderizer to carefully pound every surface which gives them a rough hewn rock appearance.  I was amazed.  Then the pedestals and other parts are made in forms and attached. 

Most living is done outside here and they are in our main terrace off the kitchen and the pool.  It will have the dining table, seating areas and probably be the place we spend most of our waking time at home.  Here's a pic of that terrace from where the dining room table will be looking toward the yard.  I think I want a Flor de Mayo (plumeria) tree in the planting area in front along with some low things and maybe some smaller palms.

All of the floors are made of concrete with tiles in the center like a rug, cheaper and when polished I like the look a lot.  The tiles in this pic of the terrace are a local stone, crema maya, that was also used for the bathroom sinks.   It will look much different after they polish it. 

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
Oh, I forgot to add this info.

The pieces of the iron work that stick up and down are blunt on the ends, hopefully our teenage kitten will not hurt herself on them.  I call them the 'dangly bits' and I really like the way they look, now I will worry about the animals though.

About the pond PH.  I have the instructions from Roarke's site on how to leech some of the alkaline from the concrete and will follow them.  I have a test kit coming down with friends in a few weeks so I can get an idea of what's going on.  I will guess now that the PH is rather high here since we are on a big limestone ledge pushed up by the asteroid that hit just offshore and wiped out the dinosaurs.  This peninsula is solid limestone but riddled with holes and underground rivers.  I have 2 options for pond water and will test both.  One, city water which does have chlorine though I don't know how much it still contains when it gets to the house.  Two, well water from the well used to fill the swimming pool and available on one faucet for watering the garden.  I have a water softener that the city water will have gone through so that is another facet.  I have RO water in the kitchen and could possibly use that in the inside pond although who knows how long it would take to fill it from that one faucet, I don't think it is really an option.  It is an option for watering the orchids though. I really want orchids!  I need to have the well water tested for bacteria and such, it's fine for the pool because of the chlorine but maybe not for the pond.  I can take a sample to the University here and have it tested.

There's a lot to do before I have fish and plants in either pond.  Still, I'm chomping at the bit to get started and this waiting at the end of the project is a lot harder than it was in the beginning. 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
Just unbelievably beautiful.  I can't wait for you to get it finished. 

Tell those guys to hurry up!!!!!!!!

o(

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »
I love it!  Absolutely love it!  Best part, for me, is I don't see any wood for termites to eat!  I really hate termites...  >:(-
Are you going to have a house warming party?  Can I come?  Do I have to leave?
Tammie

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 10:17:08 PM »
We are going to try and have a house warming party and, of course, all of you are invited.  Come on down Tammie, at least you wouldn't have to adjust to the weather!  Probably it will end up being a series of parties as we get things finished inside and as friends and family come to visit.  Money is very tight and I may opt to wait on painting it for a few months. It's a good idea anyway as this is the rainy season and most people say to wait until December to paint.  I've stopped buying furniture too, the situation in the US is making me not want to spend much.  I have enough so we have a bed and couch and outdoor seating, I'm going to buy a guest bed this week.  That may be it for awhile, the austere look!  I decided that I'd rather buy plants and fish than more furniture, a real ponder huh?

You are right on Tammie on the wood situation.  In the tropics, concrete and stone are your friend.  The door jams and doors downstairs are original but made from cedar.  When they were working on the floor they could see under the door jams and there was some termite damage so we had an exterminator come in and paint something on the bottom of them before they poured the concrete floors under them and up a little ways.  Then we had all the wood refurbished along with the doors so I think it is OK.  If it weren't cedar it would have been lunch for the termites a long time ago.  I'm learning a lot about building in this weather.  Air circulation is key, and channeling the hot air up and out as well.  The concrete floors stay cool and are poured right on the ground which also keeps them cool.  The walls are rocks and morter in the original part of the house and concrete block upstairs, downstairs they are over 2' thick and the ceilings throughout are from 16' to 18' high.   Even now with everything open and no fans it is about 10 degrees cooler inside than out. 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »
It is Temple- like and fabulous!  All has been well said already.  I am not sure id come back to Cat City again!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 02:38:56 PM »
OK, so am I invited too?
If so, cool.
Well your house is awesome, and yep I am not much of a humed weather it makes me sweat like a hog, but yep I haven't been down there in all my life, I think is so far away from me, but yeah hope I will go someday...
BTW I love your pond................ @O@
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »
Coming along nicely!  You're going to have a fabulous place & ponds.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »
Love the outside shower, and the Terrace is awsome, great views of the courtyard, I'd be spending lots of time there also. :)
Her secret is patience.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
Am I right or your name isn't Joanna? :D
Man now I think am so wrong sorry, is your name Jonna instead of Joanna? @O@

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »
Oh my.  Your house is lovely.  Your ponds are lovely.  Wow. 
Alfonso

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
thanks all.

Howell, about my name, it is Jonna.  When I was growing up it was very unusual although now I've seen it more often for younger women.  No one who could spell it could pronounce it and vice versa.  I just got used to answering to almost anything that started with a J.   ;)   My father's name was John, with an H, but my mother didn't like the way that looked, Johna, so she dropped the H and added another N.  Whatever.  Even my driver's license one year came back spelled wrong!  I did go in and change that as it seemed it could cause me problems but most of the time I don't bother correcting people no matter how they say or spell my name.  Here in Mexico I just say my name is Juana unless it is for something official. So, no problem, I'm not one to worry about whether someone gets my name right.  In fact, I started laughing the other day because I realized that I was pronouncing my own name wrong here in Mexico!!  I think I try and make it easier to pronounce in Spanish and say it with a sort of G sound at the beginning.  That really cracked me up!  It's supposed to be pronounced like my father's name but with an 'ah' at the end, John-ah.   It used to drive my mother nuts that I never corrected the pronunciation of my name.  I told her if she had spelled it more like it sounds or pronounced it more like it looks I wouldn't have this problem.  She was the kind who let these things eat at her, luckily I missed that trait.   

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »
Love the shot of the columned terrace.  Very nice design and use of the space!  O0 O0 O0

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »
Hey Jonna I think i got it right this time............
I think your name sounds good with the John-ah....
BTW I love your space, you have built a nice place to spend a life........... o(:-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
Jonna, your house and pond are wonderful. So glad you keep us updated with photos. It is so interesting to see how it is done somewhere else.

I have always pronounced your name John na to myself as I read it. My friend's daughter has the same name, spelled the same way.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
I just met another young woman named Jonna, she's in her 20's.  I'm in my 60's and there are not so many my age.  I'm glad to see it become more common, less explaining for me.  In English, I just say my father's name was John (or Jon) and leave it at that.  In Spanish, I either use Juana or I spell it.  I'm really good at spelling my name in Spanish  O0

The news today is that they can't patch the rock.  The pond is drained and you can see one long crack and a zillion tiny ones.  So, they will cover the rock in concrete, staying as close to its shape as possible.  I think that will be fine as algae will cover it anyway.  I really don't want to be chasing leaks on a rock forever.  They used a sealer and it didn't work, injecting or covering the one crack with silicon or some other underwater grout may just fix that one and another one could open.  The stuff they seal roofs with could harm the fish.  It's completely underwater when the pond is full so I think algae will cover the concrete.

Another problem came up today.  We had a real tropical downpour this afternoon, it's like someone is up above pouring warm water from a bucket.  When I got to the house afterwards the 4 or 5 inches of water in the bottom of the pond was full of sand and dirt.  It had been completely clean a few hours before when I left.  So, I started looking closer at the limestone pavers and they are set in dirt or sand or dirty sand and not concrete.  I think the reason they did this was so it would drain faster and it did drain, into the pond!  {nono}  I called the architect and told him I want concrete between those pavers.  Some of them the water had eroded the sand away and they were rocking and there were holes and other signs that water had underwashed them.  No, no, no.  I want to be able to use a hose and clean the pavers off and I don't want dirt in my pond.  The pool has a lip with a drain around it and that had quite a bit of mud in it too.   I really do have a wonderful architect, he understood immediately and said they would concrete them in.  I think he is thinking of only the ones around the pond though and I want them all secured.  One of my favorite 'chores' is to get up in the morning and hose off the patio in the sun while drinking coffee.  I love the smell and the whole thing.  So, they have to get the dirt gone. 

The other problem from the rain was the dry well in the front hall that has all of the roof drains from the front of the house going into it, apparently it boiled over with water.  The guys working there said it just came bubbling up out of the cover.  It flooded the hall, the living room and part of the office.  I have some furniture stored in the office and living room and we moved it to a dry area.  When I asked about that he said he had already called the well digging company and they think that construction dust and dirt has clogged it and they are coming on Saturday to clean it out.  Luckily, this is the rainy season so all of these things can get fixed before we move in.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
It's just absolutely stunning.
  @O@ O0 :clap:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 08:21:56 PM »
Well Jonna, at least you are finding out all the small problems now before you settle in.  You can get them fixed and hope for relaxation once you have moved.  Sorry they couldn't fix the rock, but am hoping that the new fully concreted one will look as nice for you.
Her secret is patience.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »
WOW it is gonna be so beautiful all finished and decorated   o(:-)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »
It's Beautiful , I love it ! o(:-) Jonna....I cannot wait to see it when it's all finished....please
post more picture's for those of us who cannot come to you're house warming....

bonnie

Offline robie

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
i love your pond jonna , es great .
please  more pictures ¡¡¡¡

;D
i love my turtle and pond ¡¡¡

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »
Very, very nice house and ponds. It will be nice to see it when it is finished and hear about all your details and fixes as you go. How long have you lived in Mexico and where have you lived before? This is all very exciting to me to hear how things are going in another country and how they do things differently then here. I have only been to Tijuana, Mexico when I was much younger and we rode across the border on bicycle's and around the area for a short while. Actually we were kind of nervous as we were afraid we would make a wrong move on our bikes and get thrown in jail forever. Well this is the information we had in our heads at the time so we turned around and left when we saw a policeman.
I hope you have much happiness in your new home. Janice  :)

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »
wow! It  was interesting to re-read that and look at the pictures.  We've been living in the house since Feb, much has been done and there are still things I'm working on, mainly the ponds.  I've been gone from here a while, I miss many of you and really miss the good advice I got here.  I'll take some pictures tomorrow and show you how it looks now, still not done but different. 

I finally figured out how to filter the outside pond, I hope, and I installed lava rock and gravel and plants today.  The pond was green as usual but then got kind of milky from the gravel.  Gravel I can get here is limestone and I washed it but it still puts out milky water when disturbed.  I decided to pretend it was koi clay and hope for the best. 

We went to dinner tonight at a hacienda just outside the city, we went early and they gave us a tour of the gardens.  Oh my! The water gardens were incredible!.  So, I have new determination.  It is possible to have a clear pond and I will find a way to do it. 

Janice, I've been in and out of Mexico all my life but started work on this house 2 years ago.  I am originally from Southern California so I remember going to TJ too when I was young.  I think I have a picture of me somewhere as a child sitting on one of those burros painted to look like a zebra in TJ.  Mérida is very different, it's tropical, it's a very old city, it is full of music and flowers and wonderful food.  I am in love with this city.   In fact, I haven't been back in the US for almost 2 years now.  I don't miss it, I miss some friends but most of them come here and visit. 

Roble, que padre verle aqui un Yucateco. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"