Author Topic: New 55 gallon filter  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Kaysbelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New 55 gallon filter
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
I am putting together a plan for a 55 gallons barrel filter for my pond and need some advise/comments on my plan.  Here are my facts:

Approximately 6’ round pond, 2 ½’ - 3’ deep
10 goldfish, 3-4” long
1258 GPH pump with fountain, 1” outlet
Pump will be 10’ from top of barrel
Top of barrel will be 3 ½’ above water surface
Outlet will fall into three tiered waterfall with
    The bottom weir being 7” across.

Here is my drawing: (sorry I didn't know how to put it in the body of the message)

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4867/8/52/51/93/59/0/59935152813_0_SM.jpg

The 1” hose from the pump will be hooked to a 2”x2”x1” PVC “T” (to act as a venture), flow down a 2” PVC pipe through a milk crate, wired  to the crate 8” off the bottom of  the barrel with the outlets (2” elbows) facing in opposite directions.  The barrel will be filled with floor pads and scubbies with the water flowing out the barrel through a 1 ½” outlet.  The barrel will have a drain as close to the bottom of the barrel as possible.

My questions:     With the indentation of the barrel, will the 1 ½” outlet be okay at the top of the barrel in the 4” area as marked on the drawing?
(If not I will have to drop it approximately 6-7” from the top of the barrel.)
Would it be better to have the milk crate 12” tall (at 8” I have to cut it down)?

Any advise/comments etc would be greatly appreciated.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New 55 gallon filter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
it won't let us go to the website.it says we don't have permission....i would love to see it.. lorraine
lorraine

Offline Kaysbelle

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »

I'm not very knowledgable on how to post the picture. Try this link.

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=129waay5.w4ll19p&x=0&y=-k93tqm&localeid=en_US

Offline Kaysbelle

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:34:27 AM »
It looks small, but if you click on it, you can see the details better.

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
very cool !  can't wait to see the finished product !  bravo for a DIY barrel filter !  I do them all the time. They work wonders and save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!

I do mine a touch diff, but I like your design too !
the only thing I would do a touch different is your 1.5" return to the pond.
It' a different story when working with INLINE PRESURIZED filters that can seal water tight.... and then the kind you and I create which are the GRAVITY FLO.

I would be safe and use a 2" return pipe to the top of the waterfall.  Now -- you have 3.5feet of vertical head on that pump.. and then the 10foot to contend with as the water pushes it's way up to the barrel. so... your going to lose some flow from the 1258gal pump. ( should have a flow chart in the box or info on the site to get you in area of the reality of flow once to the barrel )

I've never done a pump as small on a pond as a 1250.... but if I did,.. just to be a nervous nelly, I'd go 2".
Hate to see that water start to rise and then crest the 1.5"pipe and then overflow the top. !!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !
I kinda dout it would happen... but just to on the safe side.  If on the 1.5 let's say the water flows out through 1/2 of the pipe.. if something was to gum up the opening and then clog... over flow !!!! eeeeeeeeek ! ( had it happen )

butttttttttttt........... if water flows though 1/3 the diameter of a 2"pipe... less chance of leaves getting in the clogging,... or a escaped scrubbie or two gumming up the pipe.  I use 4" on pumps 2000g or more to be absolutely safe on waterflow ;)

just my 2cents !  run with what you feel comfortable with and let us know how it turns out !   woo hooooooooooo !
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"