Author Topic: Had to make a hard decision today  (Read 891 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Had to make a hard decision today
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »
Well today I got the main koi pond vacuumed and the lilies trimmed,(yesterday I did the lily pond) left most of the marginals alone as they are still looking good, just a little trimming. I also had to make a hard decision.....I was givin 5 little koi last year, they overwintered in the lily pond and in the spring went in the koi pond. Well 2 of them developed koi pox, and it did not clear all summer....One died a couple weeks ago, now that the water is getting colder the pox got worse and I believe it's breathing and eating were impared as the pox was very bad on the mouth and gills it wasn't eating and hanging out by the falls. I was told that koi pox would not spread to the other fish, but today I noticed that 2 of my other little ones, one from last years spawn and another that was one of the 5 each had a small pox spot, I netted them and scraped it off with a toothbrush and iodined it and released them back. The other one that was bad I decided to cull :'( as it had pox all over it's body and very badly on it's tail and also on it's gills. I feel really bad for doing it  :(, but at the same time I don't want it to spread to my other koi. I'm hoping the other koi will all do fine, but time will tell as the water continues to get colder.  On the bright side the pond looks very nice with the gunk vacuumed up.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Had to make a hard decision today
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
You did the right thing. And I'm glad someones pond is all cleaned up, cause mine shure isn't. This wood cutting keeps getting in the way.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Had to make a hard decision today
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »
Thanks Steve, may have a clean pond, but not much wood for the fireplaces, you on the other hand will be warm and who cares if you don't get the pond cleaned, your fishes come in with you and stay warm. :)
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"