Author Topic: Stinking cold!!  (Read 1823 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Stinking cold!!
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »
Anyone know of a good remedy to a cold?  I can't seem to shake the sinus pressure and runny nose.  ARG!!  :cry:
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Stinking cold!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:33:06 PM »
Sorry you're feeling miserable....

:) Keep your neck warm.  Very important. 
 :D Rinse your nostrils - can't remember the name of the method but pouring warm water (with something like a small teapot or similar) in one nostril and letting it come out the other really cleans up all the nasty gunk germs.
 ;) Drink plenty warm liquids, eat normally to keep up your strength.
 ::) Do you take vitamins?  Very helpful.

Hope you feel better real soon!  Take Care!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:58:37 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »
I take One A Day vitamins every day.  I rinsed my nostrils with warm water and a little salt.  I'll try keeping my neck warm.  Thanks. 

I'm thinking about flu shots.  I never believed in them, but I'm starting to.  Anyone take flu shots?
Alfonso

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
Earl Grey Tea, as hot as you can stand it, and inhale the vapors as much as possible.

And yes, take vitamins, the regular 'One A Day' type are fine.  8)
Don't take too much Vitamin C, or you'll get nasty diarrhea.  :o
Better off eating one orange a day, or a glass of OJ, and that's enough.
(in addition to a daily vitamin)

Also, Bill and Jamie just took turns having the nastystuffynosecoughweeklongmisery the past 3 weeks.
I didn't get sick.  8)

I take a few herbals including Evening Primrose, Mangosteen, and an Alkaline-Balance Herb Tablet.
I also take Acidophilus 2x a day one morning, one at night.
It's the natural occuring bacteria in your stomach.
They started me on Acidophilus when I went through Chemo to keep my immune system boosted,
'cuz it's a fact that if your stomach bacteria is not balanced, your immune system is compromised.
I never got sick during 4 months of chemo or 2 months of radiation, and never took myself off the stuff cuz it's over the counter and inexpensive.
Quite a natural, easy fix. I've had 2 small head colds in the 2.5 years I've been on the stuff.   O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
I absolutely do not believe in flu shots. {nono} :no: :thumbdown:
They are full of preservatives that are nothing but poison to your body, including what they embalm dead bodies with...either formaldehyde, methanol or ethanol!
And they don't work against head colds.
And they only protect you against a few flu varieties (the 2-3 strains the CDC think will be prevalent this year), not every flu variety.
Any given year 100s of flu strains are floating around in the air. :o

Also, a little girl just died of a flu shot in NJ. (not to mention 100s more over the years)
Apparently people are also having allergic reactions to all the extra crap they put in the shots as preservatives.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
And they only protect you against a few flu varieties (the 2-3 strains the CDC think will be prevalent this year), not every flu variety.
O0  As for myself, I'm with Joyce.  Plus the less needles jabs the better!

Keep your hands away from your face.  Keep your hands clean.  Even after blowing your own nose.  Reinfecting yourself makes the cold much worst.  Touch objects others use?  Clean your hands.  Really works.  Never (oh it bites when I say never) had a cold or flu for many years.  Now my bad back is another problem...... ;D

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:17:28 PM »
I do take the flu shots, almost every year for the last 10 or so.  They've never made me sick.  I'm 62 though and have COPD and I don't want the flu.  I just got my flu shot last week and a pneumonia vaccination as well.  I think everyone should have the Hep A and B vaccination, it is everywhere now.

I agree about washing your hands, the Lady Macbeth syndrome will keep you healthier than almost anything else.   

I also take acidophilus every day, been doing that for about 15 years now.  Plus vitamins, more than I like to admit.  Hey, everyone has something they spend too much money on, mine is vitamins.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »
Embalming fluid?  :o  Didn't know that.  Wow.
Alfonso

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »
HATE SINUS, don't even mentionate it......I always get the worst sinuses ever, my head hurts so bad, as well as my runny nose, well that usualy happens at the end, but I hate sinus................
please take care of yourself, and seriously hope you get to feel better soon, I never use shots because I rather to finish the whole thing than just stopping it....
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »
Yes shots. No Flu for a decade or two.  my wife and me!

And don't foget chicken soup.  Grandma was right! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
Make sure your sinus is not swollen completely shut when you use the Neti pot.  I did that once and the saline fluid did not come out of the other nostril, it all went into my ear.  That wasn't very pleasant at all.   {nono} :'(  But if you rinse out your sinus before it gets too bad, it usually clears it pretty quickly (it did for me).

My kids won't get the flu shot this year.  Not because I'm a bad mom but because my DD has autism and I don't want to add more to her body.  My son never had it so he won't either.

Kuan

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
As weird as this may sound I brew a herbal tea that I read about in a traditional Chinese medicine herbal remedies book.  I make it for whenever I have very bad migraines which are usually due to sinus pressure and whenever my nose drips so bad that I empty out a whole kleenex box myself in short order.  It consists of dried chyrsanthemum flowers (obtained from any Asian supermarket in the dried herbs section) which has a mild taste so I steep it with any other tea bag I have in my arsenal.  Works pretty good for me and is a better alternative than always reaching for that bottle of tylenol and cold medicine.  Incidently I also read about a tea made with dried whole rosemary and sage...I tried that too when I had a wicked cold...and it was wickedly distasteful; didn't finish it to see if it worked.   :tongue:
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »
Thanks for all the remedies everyone.  I feel much better.  My wife brewed some mix of herbs and I inhaled the steam.  I think it might have been the stuff Joyce mentioned.  After a long week, I feel better.  I missed a couple of days of work due to this cold.  I think I may have given it to my wife.  Maybe that's what helped.  :P
Alfonso

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"