Author Topic: Yeah computer gurus - what do you think about this system?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Yeah computer gurus - what do you think about this system?
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
What do you think?  Does it look "complete"?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150045567068
Thanks guys!
Tammie

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Yeah computer gurus - what do you think about this system?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »
Tammie it doesn't look too bad. The only thing I see is that you will still need an operating system.

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »
Tammie,

That specific motherboard is 2002/3 technology ...

I dunno how much "tech-speak" you understand but ... a year ago they were knocking the CPU that is included in the one you are looking at:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/515002367731

It is built in a low end case with a minimal, generic, powersupply ...

No Operating System, but if your current system is fried, you can legally load the OS from that machine into the new one.

Basically "Socket A/462" was cutting edge technology 5 or 6 years ago.

For $285 you cannot expect much, but people who need to do more than just surf the web should expect to pay more than $285. In other words, if what you are looking for is something to surf the web with, it'll do fine, but if you want it to do more ... it's not enough computer.

I don't wanna rain on your parade but if I needed to do anything more than surf the net, I'd look at newer/faster/more ...

Keep Smilin'
John  :)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 01:07:19 PM by JohnInFlorida »
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:24:20 PM »
Tammie, I'm not a computer expert, but my husband is. He suggested getting a barebones dell system. The one you posted has no software (like the others posted) and is made of pretty low quality parts. The dell dimension desktops start at $350 and include software and a warranty. If you would like specific suggestions for components to choose on a dell, just let me know. Good luck!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
I agree completely with John and jclements.  A Dell will "ring" your "bell".

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
I recently bought a Dell, but being thrifty as I am<g>....I suggest you check out what they offer on the site in the way of refurbs.  They come with the same warranty and you may save some bucks.  It is just a matter of finding a system that matches your needs.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:18:06 PM »
I would not buy from that seller. 98.8% feedback isn't great. For something high fraud and expensive you want 99.5% or higher.

Please read this: http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=intropccom&Dirn=Received+by

If you do buy a computer on eBay, use your credit card to fund the purchase. Not your bank account or PayPal balance.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »
I personaly don't think that brand matters as much as buying from someone who will stand behind your purchase. Dell has stinking CS in my book. Go with someone that you trust.
Dell is just another company that assembles pieces, but has a good PR going.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:29:46 AM »
Tammie have you checked at places like Office Depot and Staples and Circuit City and Brandsmart?  They often have loss leaders to get you into the store . . . advertise a computer or laptop really cheap to get you in, but they usually only have a few (6 or 10).  The price also generally requires you to send in for a rebate.  When you get there ready to buy, if they've sold out of those, they have a good shot at selling you something more expensive.  But if you get there early and stick to your guns, you can get a deal.  I got both girls laptops that way . . . they are not the newest model, but they do all the girls need. 

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »
I agree with buying a Dell.  My husband is a computer programmer and a network adminstrator and he recomends Dell he says the have the best computers that are cheap.  Or you could do like we did and build your own.  Then you know exactly what went into it.  I also agree with EagleEye that brand dosen't matter its whats in it that counts and how they stand behind their systems.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »
And I've had great CS with Dell...go figure..
Mary

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »
I would buy a Dell if it's cheap. I only do cheap when it comes to PCs  ;D
Got a cheap cheap 400.00 PC at Best Buy 4 years ago, and it still works fine. By contrast, our first PC purchased in 1991 cost us 2500.00, and it had a 210 megabyte hard drive. Today's PC is tomorrow's trash heap.

Best Buy has this one as their cheapest this week: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999961800050000&type=
product&productCategoryId=cat01173&id=pcmprd62000050000

I need a new one too, but don't like their selection this week. Usually they have a few more in that price range. I'm not crazy about Best Buy, but glad they switched to instant rebates. A lot of other places are now offering instant rebates.

Also check out Circuit City, Staples, Office Max, etc.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 10:09:43 AM »
Tammie, I guess I will be the one to go against the grain, but if you want a great computer that comes complete, and are willing to spend a little more, consider a new apple Imac, you will not have to run any virus software or purchase any additional software, managing any photos/videos/music is as easy as you can imagine, and it will last for years! They start at $999 and if you are affiliated with any type of school or government, they have great  discounts. I finallly switched all of our computers over to macs 1 1/2 years ago, it was the best decision that we made! Now we have 3 desktops, my power book, and my 8 year olds ibook. This is just an option to keep in mind.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=C1211F78&nclm=iMac

Greg

Offline Lothar

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 10:27:35 AM »
Tammie

Take a look at this deal at Fry's online site:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5005795

Compaq Presario SR1911X PC Desktop w/ 17 in. CRT Display (AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz processor, 512mb RAM, 200 GB HD, Xp Home)
Compaq:
FRYS.com #: 5005795
Compaq Presario SR1911X comes with AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz processor. Features hard drive with 200 GB capacity. Offering 512 MB RAM capacity....

AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor with Enhanced VirusVirus Protection

I think this computer would serve you well and the price is right too, $299.00 plus shipping.

Lothar

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
I've gotten two Toshiba laptops from various places (like Fry's, Best Brands, Office Depot, Best Buy, etc).  They've both been great.  I also got an HP Pavilion laptop from Circuit City and wasn't happy with the extended warranty.  Wasn't happy with the computer either, for that matter - it was sooooo slow even tho it had a decent processor and memory etc. 

I'm with KarenJ - the cheapies are good and it's not going to last any longer (either physically or technology-wise) if it costs more.  I also have a dell desktop and while I love it, it cost a lot more for what it's got than it cost for the second Toshiba laptop and they both have about the same specs . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"