Author Topic: To EagleEye and Brian  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
To EagleEye and Brian
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »
I use cotton seed hulls for mulch to cut weed growth, to cut evaporation, to cut compaction, and to insulate the roots from the blistering Oklahoma heat.  The cotton knits bind well enough that they don’t blow or wash bad and the cooler soil beneath allows for exceptional plant performance. 

Paul  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:42:22 PM by Koi Boi »

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
Re: To EagleEye and Brian
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »
Also, I like to insulate and heat a cold frame and compost it all at the same time.  In the photo on the right mostly out of the frame, is, or was a compost heap 3.5 feet high by 8 feet wide and 16 feet long.  For us, it’s not a lot.  The carbon/nitrogen ratio is such that all you need to do is add water and stir once or twice a week for excellent compost in 90 days or less.   Much less if turned twice or thrice a week.

Paul. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:43:54 PM by Koi Boi »

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
Wow! A couple questions.

Is that CORN I see in the background of the first pics that looks incredibly tall?

Is that a fish tank in the background of the cold frame pic?  Do you also grow edible fish?  If so, have you checked out this forum Backyard Aquaponics?

I've become fascinated by Aquaponics, I think I might have first seen a link on here.  I'll probably never do it but I am so interested in what and how they are setting their systems up.  It's really the same theory we ponders use when growing plants in the pond or in a skippy.  They are just focused on growing food, mainly tilapia and veggies, and creating a positive cycle with them.  Once they get going, they say all they have to buy are seeds and fish food.  They are getting incredible growth and incredibly fast growth in their grow beds.   They use a fill and drain system mostly, so aren't running the water continuously through the grow beds.  I just love the complete cycle of it and the simplicity. 

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
Hi Jonna.  The plant in the back is a giant reed Arundo Donax.  The 300 gallon Rubbermaid tubs are used as bio filters and quarantine tanks for fish.

Paul. :)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »
Absolutely beautiful plants, love the yard!!!!!!  Way to be green, that's the kind of compost heap I need.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »
Looks great as usual koi boi.  Arundo is an costly weed to the state of California.  It chokes streams and is tough to kill.  The state spend 100s of thousands trying. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »
Koiboy,

Thanks for the reply. And it looks as though it does an excellent job for you.
Your plantings are so lush and I can see that the mulch is what does it. So you must buy it by the ton, right?
Do you have to replenish it every year?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
Regarding cottonseed moats. I used cottonseed moats (hulls) for years in my vegetable garden until 1979.   That year, the  moats I acquired from the same manufacturing source as before was infected with southern bacterial wilt.  While I had previously harvested 1,640 pounds of tomatoes from 30 plants, my harvest went to zero, as about the time the tomatoes began to ripen, the plants all died overnight.  I now have to grow my tomatoes in raised buckets or in other areas of the property, away from my vegetable garden and it has been 30 years since the infection.

My point is: be careful about introducing pathogens into your environment that may create problems.  Anything you import should be fully composted with enough heat to destroy such pathogens, otherwise you may wish you had deferred.  Also you need to be careful about the contents of any compost material such as lead, cadmium, and especially arsenic.  Municipal derived compost products may contain stuff you don't want.  The arsenic content of ironite has been long recognized ( http://www.epa.gov/NRMRL/lrpcd/wm/projects/135367.htm ). 

Another consideration for cottonseed moats is pesticide residue that may be included as a "bonus" ingredient.  Unprocessed cotton hull byproducts will contain such residue.  "Five of the top nine pesticides used on cotton in the U.S. (cyanide, dicofol, naled, propargite, and trifluralin) are KNOWN cancer-causing chemicals. All nine are classified by the U.S. EPA as Category I and II— the most dangerous chemicals."  (http://www.ecochoices.com/1/cotton_statistics.html) .

I am not trying to throw cold water on your practice, just raising a red flag, hoping to spare you from a negative experience such as I had.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
WOW ,  :o...BEAUTIFUL !

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"