Author Topic: To Johns  (Read 961 times)

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
To Johns
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:46:35 AM »

Hi Johns.   Just so you know a little something about me…..I started collecting and of course reading every publication of J. I. Rodale, Sir Albert Howard, and of course Robert Rodale, that I could lay my hands on in 1971.  I am aware of the benefits of composting organic materials for protection against the effects of heavy metals and pesticides.  As far as cotton seed hulls concerned, as a raw material have as yet had no ill effect on the sundry ornamental tropical, annual, and perennial plants that I favor.  As to caveats regarding the use of organic materials however safe and well composted, the high moisture retention of said materials if placed too close to moisture sensitive ornamentals and vegetables can and most assuredly will wreak havoc on those plants in the way of crown rot.  But, with practice and judicious placement of mulches and  not allowing direct contact with said sensitive plants, such disasters can be avoided in ornamental beds and the vegetable garden.   I use Cotton seed hulls extensively in my ornamental beds, mainly because it’s cheap and abundant in my location.  Were I to have a mind to focus on vegetables again, as I did the first nine years of my organic adventure, I would focus on tree leaves as my sole source of organic material for the vegetable garden.  I found that the variety of fall color in tree leaves is largely due to the trace minerals that each tree specializes in assimilating from the sub soils.  By incorporating the micronutrients that trees mine from the soil back into the garden in wholesale amounts allowed for all my plants to out perform those of all my gardening friends and neighbors, both in size and yield, which I must admit did result in a short period of ego bloat.  I might add as a footnote that however acid any of my raw materials have been, have as a result of thorough composting, offered no ill effect.  Thank you for the warnings and please pardon my usual wordy reply.

Paul. :)

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: To Johns
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
KoiBoi,

Well said.  Until my own trees grew large enough to provide me with enough leaf material (and limbs small enough for my chipper ( see: http://www.gardenendeavors.com/rack/chipper.html ) to turn them into mulch as well) I spent hours every fall lurking through heavily treed neighborhoods pulling my trailer and collecting bags of leaves left for trash pickup.  Once ground up, they provided me with great organic material to use everywhere (of course with a heavy dose of lime in the vegetable garden).  I generally made twelve to fifteen trips, collecting fifteen or more large bags of leaves each trip.  Only occasionally I would get a bag that included any trash, usually only the cardboard box that the bags had come in.  Regarding Rodale, I too read most of his books and even subscribed to his magazine for years, and while he obviously gave a lot of good advice, I also firmly disagreed with him on his fundamental teaching about strict organic methods regarding no chemical pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or fertilizers.  The cost of lives that would have occurred worldwide without each of these over the last 50 years would doubtless be in the tens of millions.  And Rodale's opinion that insects would prefer to attack weak plants in the garden, in favor of healthy ones is, in my opinion, ludicrous.  However, pathogen free gardens high in organic materials will always outperform gardens lacking in organic material, both because of the reasons you state, but also because of the soil consistency that promotes easy water absorption, drainage, and aeration due to the "fluffiness" high levels of organic material provide.

As you can see, I also tend to be "wordy".

John

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »
Both well said! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
KoiBoi,

And Rodale's opinion that insects would prefer to attack weak plants in the garden, in favor of healthy ones is, in my opinion, ludicrous. 

John

By weak plants it could mean new growth. I have not read this and might be speaking out of turn. New growth however is normally attacked prior to old growth if infestation is achieved after a plant is established. I agree that there are different levels of being established. As it relates to most vegetable gardens this can easily be related as a new growth is normally more fragile and tender than old growth. When it relates to established plants new growth is often the approach as to a competitive bug or germ introduced to stop the continued growing of an intrusive plant. So by the words weak it can be used and backed by science. Normally light has alot to do with the leaves that are attacked by a bug in your garden, (tender) therefore weak is a good term to use when it comes to attacks.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"