Author Topic: I am fishless  (Read 3003 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
I am fishless
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:36:02 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry i have not been around. have been very busy at three jobs (why 3, i cannot turn down a job).

To bring you up to date on the mink problem: I ended last year with about 75 to 100 fish of all sizes, from babies to 20 inch goldie. during the winter some time, mink got into the ponds and ate about 80 % of them. come spring i found many fish partially eaten and still alive. i netted them out and put them to sleep in the freezer. during the summer i caught 3 of the mink, and let me tell you, they are nasty and smelly. up to last week i had 5 fish, and now there are none, even the babies are gone. for the first time in my pond life, i have no fish, and i will not get any more, no sense. its impossible to net the pond due to the hydrangea along the pond.

last summer, i gave a friend about 30 large fish for his new pond, he lives about 10 miles from me. he had problems with raccoons and herons during the summer. they got some, but he has mink also and they took every one of his also.

i never had problems with these little buggers in the past, for some reason there has been an overpopulation of them.

i can look on the good side, if there is one, i don't have to put heaters on the pond this winter, a big energy saving there and i don't have to worry constantly if they are getting enough food when i am away.

i will stick to my plants and be happy.

i hope all is well with your guys :)

louis

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I am fishless
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »
Louis,

I'm really sorry to hear about the mink problem continuing. I remember last year. Maybe you could contact a local trapper.
Anyways, when I think of you, I do not think of your fish, I think of your absolutely gorgeous photos.
Hope all is well with you,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »
Oh, Louis...I am so sorry!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this Louis, I can feel the pain in your words.  Yes mink are incredibly deft at getting into any area they have a mind to.  We had one kill every chicken in our pen and never eat a one of them.  So we are chickenless now.  They are very stinky-almost skunk-like. 

I hope you enjoy your winter not worrying about your fish and look forward to your plantings.  :)

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:07:53 AM »
Well, I guess there's two ways to look at your loss and you seem to have spotted them.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »
Louis,

I'm really sorry to hear about the mink problem continuing. I remember last year. Maybe you could contact a local trapper.
Anyways, when I think of you, I do not think of your fish, I think of your absolutely gorgeous photos.
Hope all is well with you,
Steve

Hi old friend,

now i can drain all the ponds in the spring and give them the cleaning they so badly need. I caught a 3 fot pike this spring, i should catch another one and put it in the pond. the mink would make a nice snack for the pike. the pike was 4 foot long :)

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 05:22:23 AM »
Well, I guess there's two ways to look at your loss and you seem to have spotted them.

Hello Esther, there is always a good side to any disaster.

Lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 05:24:28 AM »
I am so sorry to hear this Louis, I can feel the pain in your words.  Yes mink are incredibly deft at getting into any area they have a mind to.  We had one kill every chicken in our pen and never eat a one of them.  So we are chickenless now.  They are very stinky-almost skunk-like. 

I hope you enjoy your winter not worrying about your fish and look forward to your plantings.  :)

Hi Luann,

so sorry to hear about your chickens. we cannot keep them here either. if its not the mink, its the fox, coyote, raccoons or local dogs, that according to their owners, cannot do any wrong.

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 05:24:57 AM »
Oh, Louis...I am so sorry!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks Sandye,

Lou

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »
So sorry Louis :'(

Two weeks ago, I cut back all the lilies in the pond, leaving it totally bare.  We had noticed that we had fewer goldfish.  We used to have between 200 and 300.  I made a quick count the other day and got fewer than 100.  This morning we saw the culprit, a Kingfisher. :'(  At least he can't haul away our bigger koi.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
I guess making a fur hat , vest or booties is not cool anymore, but maybe..... {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
I don't know Jerry, when you suffer losses such as Lou's, a nice warm mink hat or muff just might be the ticket.... {:-P;;
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »
Good to hear from you Louis.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 02:22:09 PM »
Louis, I'm sorry to hear that.  It's so frustrating, when you work so hard and take such care, and some critter comes along and undoes everything.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
 Louis, oh I'm sooooo sorry :( I'm glad you can see a small silver lining in this....You may just change your mind about fish come spring after the cleanout.  Are you able to go around the Hydrenga with a net?  Minks are a problem, I'm glad so far I have not had to deal with them or coons.
Karen.... I hope that kinfisher has a full tummy.... I don't think they migrate like heron
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 04:28:46 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »
Louis , I'm sorry to hear about you're fish ..... :'(
I  too miss the gorgeous photos of you're llilies !

bonnie

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
What's next? Deer and moose eating all your plants? ;D  Sorry. I shouldn't joke but there are no mink here.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 05:54:50 AM »
What's next? Deer and moose eating all your plants? ;D  Sorry. I shouldn't joke but there are no mink here.

Hi Scott, yes deer, moose no, at least not yet. Last year i had deer pull out and eat a lot of my lilies. i have an above ground pond and its the correct height for  the deer. deer are basically lazy animals, they will eat at head height or a little lower, they usually dont bend down to eat.

Lou :)

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 05:55:55 AM »
Louis , I'm sorry to hear about you're fish ..... :'(
I  too miss the gorgeous photos of you're llilies !

bonnie

Hi Bonnie, there will be next year for the lilies. I had a great year for the tropicals, but was so involved in a house addition, i kinda neglected them and did not take too many photos.

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 05:56:55 AM »
Louis, oh I'm sooooo sorry :( I'm glad you can see a small silver lining in this....You may just change your mind about fish come spring after the cleanout.  Are you able to go around the Hydrenga with a net?  Minks are a problem, I'm glad so far I have not had to deal with them or coons.
Karen.... I hope that kinfisher has a full tummy.... I don't think they migrate like heron

Hi Marla, i have seen the kingfisher in the trees along the pond but have never seen him take any. not to say that he did not.

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 05:57:49 AM »
Louis, I'm sorry to hear that.  It's so frustrating, when you work so hard and take such care, and some critter comes along and undoes everything.

Hi Julles,

there must have been an escape from a mink farm in the area. :)

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 05:58:21 AM »
Good to hear from you Louis.

Hi Mikey., thanks,

lou

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
I am sorry for your loss. I net my ponds in the summer and now they are covered for the winter. The water is too bare without the lily pads it leaves my fish unprotected.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »
Oh Louis I am so so sorry to read this. How heart breaking. I would trap/poision every one of those @%$#^$#!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
It's no fun loosing your pet babies  :(  Sorry you had to have so much loss due to culprits.

Are you serious about the mink farm?  :D 

Busy with work is a good thing now a days.  O0

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
It's no fun loosing your pet babies  :(  Sorry you had to have so much loss due to culprits.

Are you serious about the mink farm?  :D 

Busy with work is a good thing now a days.  O0

hi annette,
yes there is a mink farm not too far from here. never seen it though

lou

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »
Louis,

If you truly decide to forgo decorative fish, I suggest you consider mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) or fathead minnows  (Pimephales promelas) to keep down mosquitos.  Either one will reproduce faster than the mink can catch them.   The mosquito fish are dark and can usually only be seen by looking intently for them but the fathead minnows are easy to spot because of their color.  See Robyn's pages at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/mosq.htm and
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm .

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »
Louis,

I'm sorry that you've had such a problem with your fish.  I have fathead minnows in the pond with the goldfish and I really like them.  I started out with 12 of the orange colour fatheads (rosie reds) but all the offspring of these fish reverted to the black/brown colour of our native fatheads.  They are interesting fish; very fast moving, do a good job of eating mosquito larvae and are quite entertaining when they push the goldfish pellets around like soccer balls in their attempts to eat them.  They are quite aggressive and have been extremely efficient at keeping the goldfish population very low as well.  It's unfortunate that your large and showy fish are no longer an option for you but you just might find the fatheads useful and grow to like them.

emm

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »
Louis,

If you truly decide to forgo decorative fish, I suggest you consider mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) or fathead minnows  (Pimephales promelas) to keep down mosquitos.  Either one will reproduce faster than the mink can catch them.   The mosquito fish are dark and can usually only be seen by looking intently for them but the fathead minnows are easy to spot because of their color.  See Robyn's pages at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/mosq.htm and
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm .

hello john and emm,

thanks for the info on the fish. this is something i will do in the spring.

lou

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"