Author Topic: Help with Lotus Problem.... can they be given away now???? anybody want to try??  (Read 1293 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I took a preformed pond and made it into a lotus/bog pond.  I filled the middle deep part with dirt up the the top of the plant shelf that runs around the entire pond.  The shelf was to be a bog.  (see pictures)  I planted the lotus in the middle in the dirt.  Well now the lotus jumped out of that middle deep part and grew into the shallow shelf with no dirt.  The whole shelf around the pond  is pretty shallow and full of huge beautiful tubers of the white lotus that I was gonna give away next spring.  My question is I am sure they wont overwinter with so small amount of water over them.. should I cover with bags leaves or go ahead and ask those that wanted the lotus if they can take and overwinter them?? am sure the success rate would not be as good??? any suggestions.. this was a beautiful lotus and there are TONS of tubers.. I hate to see them die.  I am hoping there are still tubers in the middle deep part that will overwinter?? 

tinkster

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
I would think they could winter over and spring to life in the Spring!  That is what they do in local ponds.
I would sure try.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
I'd give it a try Tink , if I were you .
A friend of mine has a lotus pot that is  planted
in a 12" pot & it's only baired halfway in the ground....she live's in zone 6.
It seem's to be happy & survives our winter's here. She's had it for 5-6 year's
now ....it was her frist lotus.

bonnie

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can I give it another try, Tink?  I have an indoor pond thingy going on.  Hopefully I'll be successful this time around.  :really:
Alfonso

Offline Danny

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
Aloha,

Love to try your beautiful white lotus.  My pink lotus will bloom soon.

Mahalo,  Danny

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Tink just keep the pond full of water and they should be just fine.....dividing them now and trying to get them to survive till spring sounds like a bit of a gamble....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Not an expert here but I would think if you keep the tub full of water covering the lotus, they should do OK.  I agree with Jerry that in the wild, that's how they grow - every where.  I would love to give your lotus a try in Spring if they are still available then.

Kuan

Offline Lori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/11/2006
    • View Profile
If you ever do need to store a lotus tuber inside for the winter, I've read packing it in live sphagnum moss is the way to do it. In fact I think I will try one of mine as an experiment this winter to find out for myself! Nothing beats first hand experience.  Now I just have to get it done. :whip:
Lori

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"