Author Topic: I got "Employee of the Year" yesterday!!!  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Oceanbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I got "Employee of the Year" yesterday!!!
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
We have had "Employee of the Month" all year long at our bank. To receive it you had to be nominated by someone in the bank and then all the nominations were posted in the newsletter and voted on by the employees. Then the "Employee of the Month" was announced at the end of each month. To be eligible for "Employee of the Year" you had to be voted "Employee of the Month" at least one time during the year. So I was the "Employee of the Month in September. We had our annual bank training day yesterday and the final votes were cast and I came out on top.

It may sound impressive but I think I may have won with the sympathy vote. Our branch was robbed in August and I was the teller that the robber decided would be the victim. I haven't posted anything about it because it has been a very traumatic time for me and I wasn't really sure how to post it. It still an ongoing thing as it goes to trial Monday. I'm not sure how that will go but hopefully it will go ok. I will try to keep you posted if I can. It may not be Monday. It may take me a day or two but I will do it when I can.

I will tell you about the robbery that it was not violent at all, it was extremely calm and quiet, nobody in the branch even knew it happened, I did everything exactly as I should have, nobody got hurt, it happened on a Wednesday afternoon and they were in custody on Saturday in another state. I am still having emotional difficulty with it. But I am trying to cope with it the best I can.
Becky

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I got "Employee of the Year" yesterday!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Congrats and Sorry too.

I'm glad you weren't hurt physically.  I know mentally you are.  It crosses my mind each and every day with the economy being the way it is.  I feel its going to get worse before it gets better.  Hard times are really setting in, and with Christmas coming people are going to get even more desparate.

We just had  security training class.  I just now learned that we have flags we are suppose to be put up in windows to let the police know that we are being robbed?  Huh, where are they.  I still don't know where they are.

The Cop giving the class said most are quiet.  They just give you a note, and do what it says and its over.  Its normally over in just a couple minutes.  Then were not suppose to talk to anyone, and not touch anything?  Easy for them to say don't talk to anyone.  They don't know what they would do in that situation.

I still remember a guy at Winn-Dixie many years ago.  The manager asked me to stall him, but the customer stalled himself.  He had numerous bad checks and stolen checks out.  The guy asked for 3 cartons of kool milds, then he changed it to 4 cartons, then back to 3.  See how he stalled himself.

In the mean time, the police came and took him down.  I remember his head hitting the door way.  Still to this day I remember his name and his face.  A couple years later his picture was on the news, he was wanted for rape.  It gave me chills.  I will never forget ever.

If you need anyone to talk to, email me and you can call me.  I can relate with you in the bank world now.

Kim
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:14:29 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
Congratulations Becky! O0  O0   :2thumbs:
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:35:05 AM »
Thanks Kim & Mikey for the wishes!!

Kim, I have thought about you & Esther a thousand times since this all happened.

I will say this was quiet, thank goodness. I don't know what I would do had it been one of those take over style robberies. It was quiet, a note was passed and she (yes, SHE) was gone before anyone even knew what had happened. Then it all just became a blur. Everything just started moving in slow motion. Through the cops showing up and the detectives, dusting for fingerprints, all of it is a blur. It happend on a Wednesday around 2:45 and the police were there until about 5:15. I was off on Thursday, I took Friday and Saturday off. The police called me on Friday morning and had me come down and pick her out of a photo line up. The FBI came to my house on Friday afternoon to take my statement. She was in custody in another state Saturday.

My husband took Thursday and Friday off to stay with me. Thank goodness!! I don't know what I would have done had he not been with me!!! He was quite unnerved when the FBI guy was here!!! He kept looking at him and twice he said. You look so familiar to me. Do I know you?! Hubby said "Oh, that can't be good?!!!" And when he left he said "You're going to go looking through your mug shots for my picture now, aren't you?!" It was funny. I needed a little bit of humor at that time!!!!
Becky

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:41:22 AM »
Oh no. That is so frightening to experience. In my 37 years of bank work, I never experienced a real full fledged robbery, so was very lucky. But you wouldn't be the first person to be robbed to have emotional experiences later that aren't very nice. Does your bank offer any psychiatric counseling after the experience?  They should and even though you may think you don't need any, it might be a good idea to talk to someone who is trained in that area.

The only things that ever happened to me was back when the computer was a phone dial in thing, I was running the drivein. Guy presented a check and I asked for ID. He gave it to me and when I dialed into the phone, the response was, "No account on file." So I figured I had misdialed. I appologize to the guy and proceed to redial. The guy waits. When I get the same response the second time, I begin to wonder. I step over to tell him there is a computer glitch and he finally gets the idea that he's about to be found out and he left in a hurry. Unfortunately the angle he left at made it so I couldn't get a license number. We at least had the stolen check and his ID. Turns out the check was in a set that was put in a storage room after the account had been closed. Don't know if they ever caught the guy or not.

Our branch was a temporary one in a small mobile home. That was back in the days when our warnings were issued on a little flier. There were no computers. I remember reading the flier and noticing the last name of Shannon as being one name that was used by a ring of check thieves/forgers in the area. We had missionary friends in Detroit whose last name was Shannon so it stuck in my head. A very tall black man came to my window with a check made out to somebody Shannon and of course it rang a bell. I asked for ID. HE gave it to me and I went to copy down the numbers. The pen wouldn't write so I said I had to get a pen. As I was walking to supposedly get a pen, I was picking up the flier and continued to walk to the manager's desk, circling the Shannon name on the flier as I went. Oddly the pen worked now. The manager's desk was right opposite the door. HE asked Mr. Shannon if he could talk to him and "Mr. Shannon" went up to the desk and went right out the door. HE ran down the steps and around the building, across the parking lot as another customer was driving into the parking lot. The customer realized that when someone runs out of a bank and off the lot that there is probably somethine wrong. So he turned his car around and went over to the lot where he saw the guy getting in a red car. He took down the license and came back to the bank. With his information, the police got the car the next day and said that was a gun clip in the car and said my robber was likely armed but I never saw anything. The detectives had come the previous afternoon and showed me gobs of 8 x 10 glossies and after looking at all those, I wouldn't have recognized a picture of my dad. LOL. Several days later we had to go down for a lineup but my manager and I couldn't agree on who we thought it was. I don't know what came of that either.

There has been some funny things happen during robberies over the years. One guy used the back of a pay stub to write his stick up note.

One of our branches was robbed and he ran out the frornt door with money falling out of his pockets. He jumped in the waiting car and when the police came, they noticed a stalled car up the road about a mile. As the car was the same color as the getaway car, they stopped. Turned out one of the robbers was walking back to a gas station as they had run out of gas and the driver was wanted for murder. The bank money was under the hood which was up at the time to warn that the car was stalled on a busy street.

We had dye packs in our cash drawer. It looked like a pack of $5s but in the center was some sort of container of dye that when it went out the door of the building something triggered an explosion and die went all over the place. This worked well especially if the robber was on foot.

Another one happened up the street at another bank and the robbers turned down a dead end street as the police were chasing them.

A robber thought to rob the night depository in the night. He hooked a chain to his bumper and the door handle of the safe and began to pull. As the bumper came off the car, it made an awful racket and the people in the house right next to the parking lot turned on the bedroom light, the robber in a panic left. Of course the safe is embedded in cement and surrounded with brick on the outside so wasn't going anywhere easily. And of course seeing the robber left his bumper, his license plate was on it. Simple deal huh?/

I think that the more you express your feelings of fear etc, and talk about it, your upset will subside as time goes by. But I still wonder if it would be good to talk to a professional aobut it. The bank owes you that IMHO.

Fortunately yours wasn't one of those terrible ones we hear about. I knew a lady who was in one of those terrible ones. They made them lay face down on the floor. Betty stared at his shoes and sox and ankles and to make her brain stay calm she memorized everything about them. Later that day when the bad guys were caught she had told so much about the one guy's shoes, pantlegs and sox, they were able to nail him easily.

I had this idea that in the foyer, there should be a large hole in the floor with doors over the top that would swing down when we pushed a button. The robber would fall in the hole and the doors would swing back shut. Then the person would be gassed so he couldn't shoot anybody. He'd be laying there ready for the cops. The other idea I had was to have a strip of nails across the parking lot drive and when the bad guy tried to drive away, the nails would puncture his tires. I should have been a policeman. LOL.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:49:21 AM by Esther »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:07:24 AM »
Congrats in all aspects Becky. You deserve it! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »
Thanks for your wishes, too, Esther. And for your experiences. I knew you had to have many stories to share over your years in banking. Some robbers are really dumb, aren't they. This girl drummed her fingers (no gloves, of course) on my counter while she was waiting on me to gather the money. All kinds of fingerprints for the police to collect!!! No disguise of any kind either. No mask, no sunglasses, no hat. Nothing.

The bank has offered me counseling. They offered it right from the start. I thought I was doing ok and that I wasn't going to need it but as time goes on I'm not so sure. I may still think about it.

Here's the update I got on to give you guys, too. No trial come Monday!!! She has decided to plead!!!!  @O@ They just called me!!! WOOHOO!!!!!! @O@ I am SO happy!!!!!  @O@ I am SO glad I don't have to testify!!!!  @O@ That is such a HUGE relief!!!!!!! It's time to put it all behind me and move on. Well, after her boyfriend's trial is over. He's being charged with complicity. But I don't expect to be involved much with that one. I had to register my rights as a victim with his case, too. But I really have nothing for it. I didn't see him. He stayed in the truck and SENT her in from what I hear.

Becky

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »
Thanks, Joyce!!!
Becky

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
Well don't put down the good work you have done so far. Besides those that voted for you have noticed how well you are doing your job. Otherwise they wouldn't have voted for you in September.  Sure they're glad it wasn't them that got robbed too but still they didn't have to vote for you both times.

Good for you that you didn't have to testify. I think I'd forget my own name in that situation.

Kinda sad though when you think of it. She must have needed money pretty bad to do something so dumb and then be so dumb about how she went about it. Do you have cameras? Ours are right out in the open. No question, if you wanna rob a bank, you'z gonna have your pitcher tooken.....LOL.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats , Becky .
bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
Congrats on the Employee of the Month award!  @O@

I'm also sorry for the trauma you experienced.  Everything takes time to heal.  Everything you are going through now is "normal" but do accept help and take it one step at a time.  You will be fine again.  If it helps, Just smile!  ;)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 06:56:07 AM »
Congratulations.....I would not say it was by a sympathy vote, it sounds as if you did your job well.  Yes by the book and NO ONE was hurt, so you should be commended and rewarded.  I hope the outcome of the trial is the right one and for you to put this behind you emotionaly but keep the memory as an intuative lesson in the sad case it may happen again.  You did good give yourself credit, and accept the award fully  O0
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »
Congrats, OceanBum.  It's doubly impressive to get Employee of the Month when it's your peers who vote for you.

Yes, it takes a loooong time to get over persn-on-person trauma.  Long past when your friends and family think you should be "over it."  And then something out of the blue will bring it up years later.  So go easy on yourself.  I think you are remarkable strong and level-headed.

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
Thanks guys & gals for all the responses!! I appreciate your well wishes & support!!!

I know it will just take time to get over this. With the way this economy is the what ifs of the future worries me. We haven't had to worry too much about bank robberies in the past but now it's become much more common. And every check that is presented to me is the worry of is this legit or are you trying to pull something? Banking just isn't what it used to be. Of course, I guess the world isn't the same place it used to be anymore either, is it? It's changed around us and we all have to do what we can to hang on!!!

Becky

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
Congratulations Oceanbum, it sounds like you really ARE an exceptional employee and well deserved the award.  I'd say take the bank up on the counseling offer. It's not like going to see one because of personal problems, they are specialists in traumatic recovery and they have tricks and helpful things that make getting past this go much faster and easier.  Hey, it's free and it does help. 

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 06:57:47 AM »
Hey Oceanbum, Congratulations O0 O0
I think that it is especially cool because your fellow employees picked you.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
CONGRATS on both counts Becky. I bet you are relieved. That will really help to get it all behind you.

My son in law has been thru a few robberies. He was the bank manager of a bank in a not so good section of town. The bank was located  in a shopping plaza and there was another bank across the parking lot. His bank was robbed then an hour later they robbed the other bank. Once he was there with my back then new grandson in the break room showing everyone the new baby (it was his day off) and no one knew it,but they were being robbed out front. Good thing he doesn't work there anymore.

Our bank in a nice section of town gets robbed quite frequently. So they set a rent a cop in the doorway. He's about 75 years old.  ::) He sets there a few weeks then he's gone. But in almost every incidence they were robbed between 2:30 and 3:00. The one time it was robbed at 2:45 and I was just there the same time 24 hrs earlier. So now I will not go there between those times.  {nono}

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
Wow, Nancy, that's scary!!! I don't know if I'd be in banking in that area!!!

I had always heard that the worse times for robberies were opening and closing. So I guess our's was "right on the money" so to speak!!! It was 2:45.

This really hasn't been an area with many bank robberies in the past. Although we have had 2 in the past year. They have both been solved and the robbers convicted.  {-) We did have one of the cash advance places robbed the week after our robbery. The day I came back to work and in the same mall as us!!!  ::)

I still don't know for sure what my plans for the future are. I was talking to a co-worker about it yesterday. I freaked out during our robbery training on the annual bank training day. I just had to get out of that room. I had what you might consider an anxiety attack and I just couldn't get far enough away from it. I thought I was better but that episode made me realize maybe I'm not. So it shows me that any little thing can trigger flashbacks. And I can never be sure when or where it could happen. I can't find a job in any other field. I'm really not qualified for anything else that doesn't involve cash and customer service. So I think I may just have to try to bid into either our loan dept. or bookkeeping dept. if something comes available. Besides they don't work Saturdays!!!!!
Becky

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"