Author Topic: Parrot Fish?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Parrot Fish?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:40:32 PM »
I see these fish in small schools in restaurants here and there but in a hotel lobby in China we were left with our jaws hanging when we stepped into the entrance.

Don't remember the names of these fish but have also seen them at pet stores here.

Love the mass of color.  They followed our hands when we slowly waved them over the glass...looking for food.  There was a food dispenser causing a feeding frenzy!  What a sight!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Parrot Fish?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
Beautiful ! How big are they ? In the last picture they look small .

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:04:10 PM »
Hi Bonnie, in the 3rd photo you can scale the size of the fish and the aquarium by the size of the person's arm pointing to the fish.  I would say the largest of the fish is about the size of a 8" dinner plate and the smallest about 2".  Most are in the mid size range.  Together they are fascinating to watch.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »
Hi Bonnie, in the 3rd photo you can scale the size of the fish and the aquarium by the size of the person's arm pointing to the fish.  I would say the largest of the fish is about the size of a 8" dinner plate and the smallest about 2".  Most are in the mid size range.  Together they are fascinating to watch.

OH , WOW....I didn't see the person or part of a person until you pointed them out.....that is one big aqua .

bonnie

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
They are pretty, I always thought about getting some for my aquarium just never did.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
Wow! I didn't notice the person before either.  They are huge. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
I should have mentioned the aquarium is probably a good 15 feet wide and maybe 5 feet in height.  It is on a cabinet base about 2 feet off the ground.  These seem to be the popular fish in China.  I remember when the arowana was the "IT" fish a long time ago.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »
I too thought the fish were small until you pointed out the person on the left.  Those are big fish in that huge aquarium.  Very interesting looking fish.  Have you ever seen them at Eastern Nishikigoi?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
I've seen them at Chinese restaurants and Petsmart.  Don't remember them at EN.  I haven't been there since July when they were out of stock with non koi fish.  :(

Offline cashb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »
.K, so what's the name of these beauties????  Would they work in a pond?  There is a thai restaurant near us that has a cool display of them but they don't know the name either.. o(:-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
I did a search a while back and found parrot Cichlids plus some latinish name.  Also found out that these fish were created in someones lab for the color.  It is cruel though that these fish as pretty as they may seem live a very cruel life and should only be kept in a guarded environment, like a pond or aquarium.  They do not have proper "fish lips" and cannot really eat anything unless it is free floating and small enough to fit easily into its mouth.

Did that make any sense?  Oh well.  They are just pretty fish but after reading about them....not really thrilled about their maker. 

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
Ive had these fish before and I got them when they were babies and they were brown with stripes and I put them in my pond one summer and they turned that redish orange color so I know mine werent dyed but the ones that are purple an blue and pink and other colors are dyed that color but the redish orange ones like these are probably not . There great fish to have by the way just done get the color variteies

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"