Author Topic: TurtleMike your kidding!!!  (Read 1563 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
TurtleMike your kidding!!!
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:09:41 PM »
I am in Ashland and and up your way quiet frequently to st albans!  Gots a question... would understand if you mind but next summer any chances you would let me view your ponds???  Noticed you comment about nobody seeing your ponds :)

tinkster

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: TurtleMike your kidding!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »
Hi tinkster ,  yea you can visit.   Middle June seems to be the best color and amount of blooms on the most varieties, also the biggest flowers.   I'm fine with visitors as long as it doesn't get to be to many.       I have lots of pollinating  and planting of seedlings to do that time of year.     It would be cruel to not let you visit,knowing that all that beauty is just over the hill.             Mike.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
Yes it would be very cruel!  I can bring my waders and hop right in there with ya but of course I would not be planting seedlings but harvesting them :)    Just kidding ya.. I am so exicted I cant wait to see them in person.  Thanks

tinkster

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:59:19 AM »
Turtle Mike, what is the name of that lovely lily.... they are all wonderful... thanks for sharing the pics.

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
Hey tinkster , I can definitly put you to work planting seedlings!   No kidding!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
Hey Myra,    I've been trying to think of good names for my plants,that's the hardest part of growing lilies for me but you just gave me a great idea for one.   The closest "town" to me and where I used to get my mail was Myra, Myra west Virginia was my address before they closed the post office,and officially also,  I guess, the town of Myra. Since that's all there was of Myra, just a post office.    Myra is a beautiful name for a lily, short and sweet. probably not to easily confused with mayla.   The flower that you liked is a breeder plant  that I don't plan on naming or releasing because of it's strong growing oderata root,but I'll pick out a good plant for a good name like Myra and i'll name it after the town of Myra and you jointly.    Not many people have gotten a lily named after them that easily. I'll post some pics of the plant with its new name soon. And you can tell all of your friends that you have a waterlily named after you!             Mike.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »
woohoo you got a lilly named after you!

mike... I would have a blast helping plant/steal seedlings :)

Tinkster 

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:08:31 AM »
OH My, oh my... a lily named after me !!! WOW that is special.  And today is my birthday.  Thank you soooooooo much.   @O@   @O@   @O@   @O@   @O@   @O@
 And can I get one of the lilies you name Myra?  Do you sell your lilies.  All of the ones I have seen are wonderful.  I have not seen a dud in the bunch.

Myra

Sorry, I just reread you post and edited my post a bit.  I do love the lily in the pic. What is a oderata root?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:13:08 AM by small fish »
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
Hi Myra,  Happy birthday!          An odorata type root is a fast growing root that grows as much as 2 ft. or more a year some times less and are difficult to keep in a pot.     They also bloom less than other shorter, more compact roots and tend to make big plants rapidly.  Now don't get me wrong I love odorata plants, some of the most beautiful plants in the world are odorata types,   mayla , peter slocum, fire opal, for instance.   but I have lots of room.  most people don't.     One of my breeding goals is to make compact plants with mottled leaves that have the hot colors of plants like fire opal   that don't need to be divided and repoted often like odorata types do.       Yes you will be able to get my lilys eventually .first I need to get them register so that they are officially mine.   And more importantly I need to get someone to handle my sales because I don't have time to do anything but breeding and testing and building ponds. and these are things that only I can do.    My sister actually started a website for me. There is nothing on it right now except a photoshoped picture of one of my test beds.     I also need to multiply large numbers of plants that I know will be in high demand. And name them. Thanks to your inspiration I have at least one of them named.     Mike

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Hi Mike,

The mention of registering new lilies is good timing.  The new registry is in the works now, with a 10 Dec. deadline, for submissions.  If you have hybrids you have decided to name and can provide the necessary information ( size, description, pics, etc.) by 10 Dec., you'll want to visit www.watergardenersinternational.org for the particulars.

Another thing to consider, the call for participation in the iwgs New Waterlily Competition should be made soon and you might want to look into entering that.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
Thanks Craig for the reminder, I'm going to try to get one registered this year.   I took measurements , petal counts etc. during the summer and have lots of pictures..    And I guess I'll go with it's breeding name even though I don't really like it it's not bad.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"