Author Topic: How do I remove a "pirate" copy of XP?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How do I remove a "pirate" copy of XP?
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:32:02 PM »
I now have hubbys "old" computer... he has a brand new one... long story.  So here's my problem.  My old hard drive is installed on my "new" computer, which also has hubbys "old" hard drive installed.  My hard drive is "C" drive (computer boots in C), the other is "D" drive.  My hard drive has a so called pirate copy of XP pro on it, along with all my programs and data.  "D" drive has a legit copy of XP pro.  I want to copy "C" drive to "D" drive, but only my programs and data, leaving the pirate copy of XP on "C", then format that drive, name it as the slave, making "D" my master drive.  How do I do that?  I have Nortons Ghost, but from what I understand it will clone everything on the "C" drive, then copy all of it to "D".  Am I going to have to load all my programs into "D", then transfer data from "C" to "D", then format "C"?  I'm hoping for a easier way...
Please!  If anybody could walk me thru this... I'll be your friend forever and ever!  And please understand that I am a computer idiot!
Thank you!  Thank you!
Tammie

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: How do I remove a "pirate" copy of XP?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:00:05 AM »
I've done a lot of shifting and moving of info over the years. Unfortunately I believe you will have to do the dreaded way you describe...ie...install software to D, move data and then format C. When a drive is formatted it sets up an area called the boot sector. That is where it sets the basic controls for your computer. I don't know of any way to uninstall Windows and still leave the other software intact. When windows goes you would lose the registry and all functionality of the other software. Same problem if you copy Photoshop, Word,  etc to D, you would not have all of the right information in the registry on D. I also would not want to corrupt any registry or boot settings on D in an attempted migration of software.

I just went and browsed through the Ghost 10.0 manual to confirm that it will back up the entire drive, the entire partition or from a recovery point. But it does not let you selectively move applications. Sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate news but I believe your best bet is to do it the "hard" way.

You did not mention drive sizes. I have a large drive on my main computer. I partitioned it so the it has two logical drives C & D. I installed operating system to C and other software to D. That way if you wanted, later you could use Ghost to copy C or D partition to another drive without corrupting the operating system.
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »
Thanks Tim!   I was afraid you'd say that.  Maybe I can install my legal copy of XP on C, format D, the clone C to D.  C is a 20 G, D is a 80G  Maybe I'll try to get thru to Windows tech support, see what they recommend.
Tammie

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »
tammie,

Forget the PM that I sent you re: phone call ... No need for the conversation as the answer became very simple when I found the link listed below. You can leave your old drive as the C:drive on hubbys machine and wipe his drive clean for use as a "data" drive after you legitimize your XP. To do that, go here:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5102-1035-5034890.html

and follow the directions. I'd recommend that you use the "windows registry editor option" because the "WMI option" is for systems with XP or XP/SP1, and I'm going to assume you already have SP2 installed.

Changing the registry can be problematic if not done carefully and correctly, (hence the warning) ...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Warning

The following instructions involve editing your system registry. Using the Windows Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that require the reinstallation of your operating system and possible loss of data. TechRepublic does not support problems that arise from editing your registry. Use the Registry Editor and the following directions at your own risk.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

but the step by step procedures in the link are very detailed and you should not have any problems following it.

Hopefully, this will get you where you need to go without having to delete/reload everything.

BTW, Timgod makes a good recommendation re: multiple physical and/or logical drives. I've two physical drives in my PC, a 20gB and a 120gB. The 20 gig drive is divided into 2 logical drives C: & D:. The C drive contains ONLY Windows while the D:drive is my "Programs" drive. The 120 gig drive is for data, all the info stored by any of the programs located on D: as well as My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, My Music, etc. is all sent to the Data (E:) drive. I back up the E:drive daily (automatically) and the C:/D: drive monthly (also automatically). All of this helps reduce fragmentation, makes it easy to update the OS or Programs, makes data backup very easy and is probably overkill for the things I have on my PC, but I'm kind of OC/anal that way ...  ::)  {:-P;;

I hope this helps as I know what a pita it is to reload all the programs/data when you do a drive change.

Keep Smilin'
John  :)
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
Sounds "simple"... I'm sure I'll mess something up!  I'm going to try it!  I feel brave!  And if I mess something up I have your phone #  (8:-)
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!
Tammie - the one who is about to mess up her computer! (joking)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
Tammie I had the same experience.  My computer whiz is now persona non grata. {-)
I confess I took the tower to a shop and for 35.00 had them do it.  I was afraid I'd make an error that would be costly.
Also, you can not use your new CD on any computer.  You must use it on the one that had the prpblem
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 09:53:06 AM »
Jerry,
Your last is not totally correct. Any cd of windows xp will work with any computer using xp. The disks are universal. What you buy when you legitimately purchase the program is a cd copy of it and the license to use it on one computer. If your computer dies/fries/or otherwise collapses you still own the right to use that program on one computer, i.e. her hubby's old machine. Her problem is only one of moving it from hubby's old hard drive to her old hard drive without destroying the other data. What I recommended is not wrong or illegal, but it does/may require that she make the phone call to Microsoft to tell/explain about the hardware change. A pita but not a problem.

At present I legitimately own 4 licenses to XP (my desktop, Dawn's desktop and both our notebooks) and they have been used on 7 pc's as I've built/modified/changed my hardware. Sometimes xp is ok with the change (it was minor enough not to cause xp to burp) and sometimes I've had to make the call to get them to activate the license on the new machine. Either way, as long as you are only using the license on one machine at a time, everything is legit.

Hopefully this didn't sound like I'm talking down to anyone, I just try to be VERY specific when I talk about things like this. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was starting another "inversion" thread ...  ::)

Keep Smilin'
John  :)

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »
Hi John!  I tried the fix, and it didn't work.  Alot has happened in the 2 days since I tried it, I can't even remember what error code I got!  What I ended up doing was going to windows update, and when it came up with the "pirate copy" error I choose the "validate" my copy of XP.  Put in the lic. # for the xp that's on "D" drive and all was okay!  Except now I have no sound...  I'll worry about that later. 
I do thank you again for your help!  And I'm keeping your phone #  (8:-)
Tammie

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
John it does make sense.  After all if my computer dies i ought to be able to use the CD on a new one.  I got that tidbit from a whiz who helped me with my router.

My CD for XP was odered on line at Windows request.  They do give one very complete installing info.  There is some peril and I didn't want to take that chance.  For 35.00 I felt it was well woth it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"