Author Topic: SoCal: The Artic Blast is coming, The Artic Blast is coming...  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
SoCal: The Artic Blast is coming, The Artic Blast is coming...
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:36:38 PM »
 Drudge picked up this story in our local paper about an 50-Year "Artic Blast" event  which is supposedly on track to hit us soon (although it's also supposed to be in the 80s on Thursday  8))...get out the earmuffs.   

December 8, 2008
Rare 50 year Arctic Blast Sets Sights On Southern California.

Possible historical cold air mass...

With a week away, and a sure sign of things to come, OWSweather.com is making preparations on the server to handle the traffic from this next event. UJEAS is in line with the majority if not all the other models in keeping a near historical arctic air mass into the Southern California region.

With a warm November, Southern California is finally ready for cold storms to make their way in. Resort level snow will be likely next week, and in pretty hefty amounts if things stay on track. OWSweather.com Meteorologist Kevin Martin predicts a 50 year event. While Martin is usually conservative on these events, the pattern highly favors it.

"We are in a pre-1950 type pattern, "said Martin. "We know we are due for a winter storm sometime this year. The type we may be dealing with will be ranked up there with the known years before 1950, which set record low daytime temperatures into the forecast region. With this, may come low elevation snow."

Forecaster Cameron Venable is seeing very cold temperatures in the Los Angeles areas as well. Torrance is not usually known for winter weather, thus making this an interesting event for Venable to track.

"Temperatures in Siberia, Russia will be -81 degrees this week, "said Martin. "With those type of temperatures the arctic air mass has to spill somewhere. Our answer of the exact track will become more clear this week. All residents in the mountain communities should prepare this week for very cold, winter weather, with snow."

Indications are a second, colder storm could hit near the 18th-22nd time-frame. The details on that will have to be sorted out.

More information: www.OWSweather.com

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal: The Artic Blast is coming, The Artic Blast is coming...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:56:21 PM »
Hey thanks for the heads up.  I guess I better go snag some bubble-wrap to protect my plants.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:16:41 AM »
Thanks for warning us. I'll be sure to be prepared. LOL.

Let's see, it's 20 degrees out right now and the sun is shining brightly and it's 10:15. DH shoveled about 3" of snow off the driveway this morning. I keep harping at him to get out the snowblower but since he's layed off, he has plenty of time to shovel.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »
Esther, my DH took 3" off our driveway too. That was a weird storm- rain, then heavy snow, then rain, then snow. The roads were a mess!

Al Gore must have visited Ca recently for such a historic event to happen. ;)  Cover up those Lemon and Orange trees!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:00:41 AM »
I have too many to cover, but yikes.  hope it veers away.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
So, I'm gonna be looking at my beach boy ponding buddies shoveling snow, ice skating, and building snowmen? @O@
I'm going to be wanting pictures for sure.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:58:40 AM »
My heart bleeds for you all.  ;)

But these weather people get so radical about predictions, you gotta take it with a chunk of salt.  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
High today (Wednesday) is 77*. Tomorrow they are calling for over 90*, and by Sunday the high might not hit 60* with the overnight lows in the low 30's.

My plumeria is still in bloom, but I guess this is it. Sigh, it has been a great winter so far - still have my tan.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
Do you mean that Southern California is going into an ice age? Totally radical dude! lol
Just don't get frozen to the toilet. lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
Although people who live in cold weather winter climates don't really feel for you, all should be aware that freak cold winter storms can kill a ton of plants not native or used to cold weather. While living in florida they used misters and heaters for the orange crops. I don't know what you have to or will do but good luck to you if a severe historical air mass comes your way.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »
Fair warning!!   >:(  I really don't know what to do or if I would if I could.....

But these weather people get so radical about predictions, you gotta take it with a chunk of salt.  Roll Eyes
Joyce is absolutely correct.  When weather happens, it happens and that's that.  ;)

It has been extremely cold the last 2 nights.  Had to bring out the thick comforter and wore a fleece top to keep the neck warm.  :D

Hold on to your flip-flops SoCal!!

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
Fair warning!!   >:(  I really don't know what to do or if I would if I could.....

But these weather people get so radical about predictions, you gotta take it with a chunk of salt.  Roll Eyes
Joyce is absolutely correct.  When weather happens, it happens and that's that.  ;)

Nobody knows nothin'! My hubby has a saying, " It's weathering outside" . What's outside? Just "weather".  ;)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
Hold on to your flip-flops SoCal!!
We call the clip-clops in this house....  Remember when they were called zorros?  I can't imagine Zorro wearing them  lol

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:47:48 PM »
Potentially good News...This BBC article says (1) It was only -76 in Siberia; and (2) doesn't mention SoCal   8)

Thursday December 11, 2008

Siberian Express brings Arctic blast across the States by Steph Ball

Over the last few days high pressure has been continuing to build across Siberia bringing unusually cold weather.

On Wednesday weather warnings were issued by Russia’s Emergency Situations Ministry after forecasters predicted a fall of temperature to –55C
(-67F). On Saturday night the temperature in Ojmjakon, Siberia actually fell to -60.2C (-76F). January temperatures across the larger Siberian cities normally range from –15C to –39C (5 to -38F).

Over the last few days this cold air building over the Polar regions of Canada and Siberia, has now been sent southwards across the States in a phenomenon commonly known as the “Siberian Express”.

The Siberian Express is a meteorological term in the United States which describes the plunge of an extremely cold air mass. When high pressure extends north from the extreme western states of the US into northern Siberia it allows this Arctic blast to surge southeast wards across Canada and central and eastern parts of the US, sometimes as far as the Deep South. It often brings with it significantly below-average temperatures.

Over the last few days and into the weekend, the Siberian Express has been felt as far south as the Gulf Coast. Most of south Mississippi, as far east as the western Florida Panhandle, was placed under a winter weather advisory on Saturday. Freezing temperatures were forecast as well as snow. Up to 7.5cm (3 inches) of snow fell across southern Mississippi during the day, before the storm headed east bringing snowfalls across Alabama and Georgia.

Across both the US and Siberia, the cold weather is forecast to intensify over the coming days.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
Remember when they were called zorros?
:no: Nope.  ?)(?

DH doesn't know how I survived growing up in Eastern Canada when I can't handle the cold in SoCal.  Nice during the day time but freezing in the night.  It was about 45* last night outside and drier than dry.  It's difficult slathering the lotion when wrapped up in all my winter clothes!  :o

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »
Although our recent weather wasn't really a "50 Year" event for us here in SoCal, it turns out that the original December 8 article was pretty accurate as to the timing of our storms. :thumbup:

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
It's soooo cccold!  Wrapped up like a polar bear.  The rain all day yesterday was freezing!  I see snow all over the Saddleback Mountains at a very low elevation.  Even with the sunny skies today the snow is still there.  Baby it's cold out there  {:-P;;

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 06:21:35 AM »
Hmmm.  A balmy 77* today.     I'm going Christmas shopping, and then to look at lights.  In shorts.    O0

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 07:41:29 AM »
I wore my down vest to the gym yesterday, most were in shorts!,  I felt like a sissy!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
Warmish here today at 27 degrees but about 14" of snow since midnight, to blow off the driveway at 10:30 and it's still coming down. At least it isn't blowing. 

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
70 here today, will be 30 tonight and 15 by sunday????????????? >:(-

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »
Snow here, 'bout a foot . Still coming , but lightly.TG. A whitr Christmas probably.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
Western Oregon having record snowfalls. Worst since 1968. The city of Portand is damn near shut down. The shopping malls were closed down and empty a week before Christmas! Businesses are closed, the garbage hasn't been picked up. The mail man has made it through every day so far though.

News is on 24 hours on Arctic Blast. It certainly was a real prediction.

The problem with snow like this here is that we don't get snow like this here. No one knows how to drive in it. The city doesn't even have snowplows. While other parts of the country have this much routinely, we don't. DH could not get off of our street with chains on his work truck. Neighbor with chains on his 4-wheel drive is only one moving.

This was last night, it is much deeper now.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
That's really something, LeeAnne!

Here, on the 19th it was in the 70's*.  Heck, I even heard a frog calling!  Today, it's 41* right now, but tomorrow will be in the 60's* and by Christmas back up to the 70's*

I'm just hoping it will not rain, 'cause I bought paint and need three dry, warmish days in a row to paint the new garage door and two back doors.  (A beautiful, somewhat orangish RED !)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
Been really cold here too.  Thursday, it was almost 70, then last night it was 7.  I think the zero fell off.  Then count in the wind chill it felt like -10.  Burrrr. 

I should have taken a pic, yesterday with wind gust of 35 mph, there was someone having a tree cut down by us.  What was he thinking.  We kept a close eye out, just in case of a mishap of it landing on our big lofted shed.  That guy up in the tree had to be freezing. 

Kim
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:41:06 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
We got down to 17*, worst snow since 1968. No US mail now since Saturday the 20th. The snow is over the tires on my car right now.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Wow LeeAnne - You know what they say about the mail having to go through. Mail stoppage has to rate up there with "The signs of really bad weather". Stay warm!

We are supposed to start getting it tonight - violent and heavy - but just rain at the city level.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »
Did I mention that it is suppose to be 78°F here tomorrow? lol lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
Even though I mean it is fun and jest what I want to say to you about that 78* isn't allowed on this board.....  {:-P;;
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »
It's 72* here in Houston, as I type.

Errr,,,,, Sorry LeeAnne.    {:-P;;   

;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"