Author Topic: Guava for breakfast  (Read 994 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Guava for breakfast
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »
While walking past my strawberry guava bush I was surprised to see that the fruit had changed color from green to red.  I'm pleased it produced fruit because I just bought it this year.  The fruit are small and I think that is because I got it into the ground so late.  The fruit was semi-sweet and tart.  The taste was so-so and is going to have to grow on me....  Mine had a few grape-like seeds but the one I gave to the fetching Mrs. Mikey was seedless.  Go figure....  She really enjoyed hers.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Guava for breakfast
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »
Very nice!  Never had a strawberry guava or knew there was one.  You have a heck of a garden there, Mike. 

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
One of my favourite breakfast foods too - One swig will do ya!

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »
Some one planted one in our front yard but not a strawberry, that I know of. It didn't do so well this year.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »
We went for a walk through the neighborhood this afternoon and came across two guava trees at different homes that were loaded with guavas.   The ripe fruit was yellowish in color and they were about the size of a large plum.  The fetching one "borrowed" one from each tree from limbs that were hanging over the sidewalk.  When we got home she cut them open and one was yellow inside and the other orange.  The orange one smelled like it would be sweet.  The fetching on ate both of them.  She said the yellow one was blah....not much flavor at all.  She said the one that was orange inside had a nice tangy sweet flavor.

While on our walk we also came across a fruit bearing citrus with four different types of citrus growing from the grafted branches; Tangerine, Myer Lemon, Valencia Orange and Lime.  It was a small tree in a large pot and had roughly a total of 15 citrus fruits growing on it.  I was impressed considering how small the tree was.

After seeing that citrus tree I may join the local California Rare Fruit Growers Assoc.  They share scionwood with members and I could do the same with my citrus trees.  I assume I could also do the same with my guava.  Hmmmmmm.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"