Author Topic: koi in a pool  (Read 951 times)

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
koi in a pool
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
I need to drain my pond and was thinking about putting my koi in the kids pool while I do the work would they be alright in there?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: koi in a pool
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »
They should be fine, for a short period.  A pool is a lot larger than the peanut pond and RubberMaid tubs I had my fish in when I enlarged my pond this past spring, and all mine came through great.

Be sure to fill the pool with the same water you take out of the pond, at the same time, so the temperatures are equal.  Depending on how many fish you have and how long they will be in the pool, they will use up oxygen quickly, so put in lots of submerged plants.  Get a pump set up to create a splash, to add oxygen to the water.  I also had pumps with air stones, like you use on indoor aquariums, to aereate the water.  I asked for some on my local chapter of FreeCycle.com and someone gave me three.

And be SURE you put a cover on the pool.  Screen, lattice, boards, whatever.  The fish will be unhappy, and you can bet they will jump out if they can.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:43:55 AM »
years ago I purchased a round hard sided kiddy pool that you can roll up and store when not in use. I have used this often and it works great. I also would pump the pond water into it when I was tranferring them into it. I would simply put a 10 dollar Gazebo tent over it 1 sheet of plywood over a portion of it and stick a submersible pump in it with the outfall hose a bit above the water. They always were fine with it. I would do my work, refill the main pond, circulate the pond with the normal water falls for a day and let the water temper. The next day my buddies went back into their home with no ill effects.
 After using the temp pond I would clean it, let it dry then roll up and store. Its always worked great. With the soft bottom of the temp pond you did not have to make sure it was perfectly level to use.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:16:23 AM »
I'd either cover it with a net or throw a large tote lid on top of the water for the fish to hide under---keeps them from jumping as much.....most of the time not at all....I've tried to just toss them in kiddie pools with out a cover or lid and there's always at least one that wants to jump....even just a tote lid tossed on top of the water will help out alot to keep em' from jumpin.also it is really best to use the pond water to fill the pool....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »
You should buy a temporary rubbermaid tank at a tractor supply store. That would work great.
Thanks,
Rich

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"