Author Topic: trying to keep an opening in a frozen pond  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
trying to keep an opening in a frozen pond
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »
Now that we are in winters grasp I'm having second thoughts on where to try and keep an opening. :-\ I thought it would be best in front of the skimmer to keep the water flowing to the pump. After this weekend, with temps below zero and wind chill ridiculously low (-30) I'm no longer sure. The heater I got(floating de-icer) seemed to be doing the job, but now there is only about a 2 inch opening. We decided to keep the water fall running (bad idea) and I'm wondering if the heater should be moved to below the falls. After Sunday night the waterfall was completely iced over except for right where it enters the pond. Any thoughts would be appreciated  :thinking:
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: trying to keep an opening in a frozen pond
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:44:37 PM »
I have to get out there and take some pics, but I'm still not ready for Christmas yet.

We left our falls running too. Not the big falls, just the skimmer falls, which is about 1700 gph. My little stream didn't get iced over until these below zero temps. I need to get out there and check if the pump is still running.

We made a "Bickal" deicer that does a good job keeping a hole in the ice, and I have that right near the skimmer. It's basically an inverted rubbermaid tub attached to a pvc base with two light fixtures in it.

There saying we're supposed to get another 4-12" of snow tomorrow. Are you in the north or the south of Illinois?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »
I just looked up your town and I'm about an hour & a half north of you, so you'll probably escape the snow.  O0
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »
We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow. The last "snow" here came down as ice. There was almost an inch of ice covering everything. I almost would rather have snow than that. It broke some tree limbs and made the streets like skating rinks. After the holidays.... I'm ready for spring :)
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:07:45 PM »
Why bother paying the electric bill for the pump? Why run the risk of the water being diverted in the waterfall and pumping the water out of the pond? Our pump has been out maybe 6 weeks. Our Bickal deicer is working fine.

Speaking of Bickal, anybody know what Greg is up to and how he is doing?

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »
I had a floating heater that failed me last year. It just coulnd't keep up with the severe cold temps and I lost ALL my big koi.
While ona pond tour this summer I asked everyone with big ponds how they handled the winter.Every one of them told me they take thier pupmp out, shut down the falls and run a LARGE aerator. They said a heater will eventually fail (I ran mine 3 years, without trouble, but it did eventually fail me) but an aerator will not.

I got a pondmaster 60, I have about 3000 gallons. I have about 6 air stones around different spots in the pond. I have 3-4 openeings all the time now, even with 18 inches of snow and absolutely freezing temps, I am a believer. Another plus, its cheaper to runt han the heater too!
Kathy

Offline Master Pond Builder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • One of my pond-less waterfalls
  • With us since: 26/06/2008
    • View Profile
    • Pond Plants For Sale
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »
Aeration systems are the best and cost the least ammount to operate, pennies per day. We maintain over 50 of our customers ponds throughout the year. Aeration is what I would recommend.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:55:29 PM by Master Pond Builder »
I am blessed, that I get to work outside and build beautiful ponds, waterfalls, and streams, everyday.
www.pondplantsforsale.com

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »
Where do you put the pump? How far do you run the tubing? I tried that the first year and it froze-up.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »
But where it is REALLY cold, you can run into two problems. Like Crazy fish lady said, the tubing freezes up at times and at times the bubbling, mist, splashing that may occur at the surface, a covering of ice forms above the aereator.

Here is my deicer right now and you can see how deep the snow is around it. I took the picture through the dining room window so I guess you can't see as well as I thought. LOL. I'm not saying it cannot fail as the light bulb of course can go out. But when it fails, it is real obvious. If the deicer freezes in the ice, I just take a blow torch and melt the ice around it and replace the bulb.  This is my 6th winter with a DIY deicer and have no complaints.   

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:53:38 AM by Esther »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:44:47 AM »
I used a styrafoam cooler to house my aerator pump.  Upside down, and poke holes around the top edge, not on the top. This way air still circulates if the snow piles up. We only had to clear the snow awy from the holes when we got a total of 18 inches in 2 days. Tubing comes through holes at the bottom and run about 1-2 feet into the pond. It hasn't frozen up and it's beex extremely cold here, in the teens and 20's most days.
Kathy

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
This is my second winter of using an aerator to keep an opening in the ice in my ponds.  It works really well.  I made a container for my pump out of a small rubbermaid container, drilling holes for the air lines (I feed air to 4 ponds with it) and air holes for the pump to receive air, up under the rim of the container.  This keeps the pump dry.  I run the air lines to the ponds and suspend the airstone about 1/3 of the way down into the water.
I live in the coldest part of zone 6.  Last week it was 0 degrees F. with a wind chill 0f -30 degrees.  Everything is OK with the ponds. 

Good luck.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Kirby

• Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
Here in SW Michigan I use an aquarium air pump that is large enough to supply lots of movement.  I was told not to put it in the deep end of the pond so the bubbling will not stir up the warmer, deep water.  I also used larger tubing so the condensate would not freeze in the tubing.  The hole in the ice is about 12" with 3" of ice else were.

Kirby

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:00:27 AM »
I have two brand new deicers that are still in the box!  {:-P;;

I just use a small submersible pump and have it right at the water level so it provides extra oxygen plus helps keep a hole open.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:24:02 PM »
I waited on this topic because it is my first winter pond. The ice on my pond is now 1 inch thick but I have a 3 foot hole due to my pondmaster 50 aerator. I have it in a 32 gallon insulated tube with a hole cut for the power cord and another for the tube. I have not had a problem with condensation/freezing. I shut down my falls upon other posters recommendations.

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
 ;)I have a pondmaster 60 and it is keeping the ice of from 2 ponds. Never had such a great air pump. no stones just the defuser that came with it. Got my moneys worth with this one. Oh and Hello everyone.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"