Author Topic: Rebuilding my pond  (Read 4560 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Rebuilding my pond
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »
Today is day one of construction.  I originally used cement, but eventually covered it with a liner.  I’m in the process of breaking through the cement with a pick.  What a pain in the rear.  The fish are in a tub.  I’m using an aerator in the meantime.  I took a lunch break, but I need to get back.  I don’t want to keep the fish in that tub for long.  I’ll post some pics later today.  Wish me luck.  O0
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding my pond
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:54:05 PM »
Working hard on the first day of the year!!!  Sounds like you're on a mission.  Are you making the original pond larger? 

Have fun!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
Bigger and better.  My fish were not getting their proper depth of water.  I am on a mission.  o(

I broke my pick.  I'll rent a jack-hammer tomorrow morning to finish the rest.

Here's day 1.
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »
Here's what it looked like previously.
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Guess you couldn't leave well enough alone!  Your pond looked great before, too.  It's the ponding bug!   :D  The jack hammer looks like a very good ideal since it looks like lots of rock there.  Good Luck!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »
Thank you.  It bugged me not having it deep enough and uneven.  I also had a leak that I couldn't find.  Thanks for the support.
Alfonso

Offline Johns

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
A good idea would be to cover that container with the fish with a net or chicken wire to keep them from jumping out.  Been there, done that!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »
Thanks Johns.  I'll do that.

I've just completed day 2.  I rented a jackhammer and busted my way through the rest of the concrete.  I should have rented that a long time ago.  Then again, it was New Year's day.  I went about 3 feet deep with a slope that leads to the drain area.  I also dug the shelf about 12 in (I think I'll go deeper than that).  Tomorrow I will fine tune everything and make sure it is all level.  I will also begin on the waterfall.  A friend of mine, also neighbor, allowed me to use his waterfall as a guide. 

I forgot to mention the smoking deal I got on a pond kit.  I did not plan on using a kit, but I couldn't resist the deal.  It is a Sunterra watergarden kit.  Comes with uv/pressure filter, 15x5 and 10x5 firestone liner, 2000 gph pump and fittings, 3 lights, etc.  I googled it and it normally cost $600.  I got it for $85 brand new.   @O@

Here's day 2:
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Here's what my friend's waterfall looks like. 
Alfonso

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
Hey Alfonso. Looking good.  I can't wait to see the finish but love the progress pictures. Everyone here knows how good it feels to make progress. I love the palms nearby and wish I could have those type plants grow here by me. Alfonso, I was wondering what a 15x 5 and a 10 x 5 liner was. If they are dimensions of the pond, do you have plans on connecting them? I think you got a great deal on the pond supplies but I don't think its enough liner.
 Before I comment on this any more let us know how big your liner is. I wish I could come help you dig it. Although its work, I love it and I could get out of this 20 degree weather.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
Thanks reddad.  The pond is medium to small size.  It really isn't that wide.  The small liner is for the waterfall.  I'll cover a mound of dirt and rocks.  Then, line it and cap it off.  The rocks, dirt, and mortar on the water fall will cover everything.  I triple measured to make sure the liner fits.  If somehow it does not, I'll buy another and sell the one I have.  It may sound a little too easy.  {:-P;;  We'll see.  I hope tomorrow will be the last day, but I'm not going to rush it.  We have rain in the forecast on Sunday.  Sooooo.....

Keep the suggestions coming.  They are welcome.
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »
Today was day 3.  I’m feeling the effect of the hard labor.  Everything is level.  The bottom of the pond was lined with some linoleum I had left over.  I don’t think any rocks will poke through that.  I lined the pond and began work on the waterfall.  Everything was going well, until I began filling the gaps.  I used foam and mortar.  I personally like using mortar, so I tried both.  I tried everything possible not to get the foam stuff on myself, but I magically did.  Tomorrow I will cap everything and dress it up.  I also have to find a home for all that dirt.  The waterfall looks a little rough right now, but it will look better tomorrow.  There is rain in the forecast and I hope we don’t get any of that.
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »
P.S
Don't hire any 2 year olds for help.  All they do is dance and horse around.
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »
Looking great so far!  You are fast!  Keep up the good work.

P.S. Twenty-four year old sons don't do any better than a 2 year old one.  ;) :D

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
Alphonso,

Your pond is looking great.   o(:-) The reason I asked about your liner was I knew a 15x5 would not fit in that hole. A 5 foot wide liner would fit a 1' x 1' hole if the normal 1' was left over the edge. That is why I said I would keep quiet in the last post. You are doing a great job you just mislead me by your liner dimensions... lol  lol lol

BTW a 2 year old is only supposed to dance. precious.   O0  I wish I could turn back time on my children. Now I have a 2 yo grandaughter and love her to death.

I hope you can beat the rain. :raining:  Your pictures are loved by most and your desire is respected by all. Thanks for sharing

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 06:37:44 PM »
Thanks everyone. 

Day 4

Finished.  I filled the pond and connected everything.  Turned on the pump and LEAKS everywhere.  So I got busy finding them and took care of them.  The waterfall was leaking from different areas.  So I mixed more mortar and filled the cracks.  I also adjusted the liner under the waterfall, just in case there is a leak it can be guided towards the pond.  I have to say, the pressure filter isn’t what I thought it would be.  I’ll give it try though.  I drained the pond and refilled it adding beneficial bacteria, chlorine remover, and pond salt.  My koi are in there now and they are enjoying the extra space.  All is needed is plants around (dirt areas) and in the pond.  I think I’ll wait till spring.  Also, the lights need to go in.  Here’s the product. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:40:20 PM by landey1230 »
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »
Here's the before.
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »
Here's another pic of the new.  I really need to add the plants to get the full effect.  I'll add them soon and post the final pics.
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »
You'll have to change your name to Speedy!  I can't believe you've finished a new pond in such a short time!  It looks great!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 04:30:22 AM »
Thank you.  The last 3 days, I worked for 9 hours each day.  I'm feeling it.
Alfonso

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »
WOW!  You have been kicking some major pond booty.  You have done an outstanding job, looks great.  That green grass also looks great.  Awww, you mentioned spring.  I can't wait till its spring.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
I kick pond booty!!!  lol  I like the sound of that.  It really is missing the plants around it.  Thanks.
Alfonso

Offline DougHurth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Hurth Waterscapes
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
Hey, Nice work,

I'm jealous, you get to work out in your yard in January and I'm wearing extra layers just to stay warm inside my house.  You certainly did the right thing by getting that jackhammer, I can tell you from experience a pick and sledge hammer are no fun at all for that job.  Hope your fish take well to their new home
Happy Pondering!
Doug Hurth
Hurth Waterscapes

Offline Camper Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Pond Curator
  • With us since: 18/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 07:33:36 PM »
Beautiful pond (I liked the first one, too.)  Why did you replace the filter that you had at the top of the previous falls?  Was it to make the filter less visible, or was it not filtering efficiently?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:07:33 AM by Camper Man »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
Wow, looks really good and Ky Kim is so right boy you kicked some pond booty.  Ok now for some specifics...so how big and deep is it now and what was the depth before.  I bet the fish will enjoy getting out of the little bucket and into that great pond.  Thanks for sharing your progress I love looking at ponds being built.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Camper Man:  I used a different filter for two reasons.  1. I didn't like it visible. 2 I was cleaning that filter 2 or 3 times a week.  This filter requires a back flush.  I don't mind that. 

Marla:  It is 3 ft deep with shelves 1 1/2 deep.  9ft long and 8ft wide.  It was previously 18in deep.  The koi love the extra space.  I can't wait to fill those shelves with lilies this spring.   
Alfonso

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »
Job well Done, I bet the fish are very happy now!

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
  HAHAHhahahhaah@ your 2 year old dancing around while your working !  lol   I can picture that so easily !  classic.

In all my excavations my advice is ..... "beer cans make for LOUSY dirt scoopers !!?!!?" haha
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »
He's my right hand man.  I could have used you expertise, Carlos.  ;D  Beer or no beer.  Beer would have been nice. 
Alfonso

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"