Author Topic: My Stop Smoking Anniversary is Today  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
My Stop Smoking Anniversary is Today
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
I actually quit smoking on January 2nd 2004 but I am celebrating my fifth year free from Cigarettes today, now to just loose all the weight I gained after I stopped smoking...
I need to drop at least 50 pounds to get healthy again so the new years resolution this year is to loose all the extra weight that is causing high blood pressure and a myriad of other problems. I just calculated my Body Mass Index and came up with 32.8, much too high for my height and age.

Any one else celebrating a milestone this week?

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Stop Smoking Anniversary is Today
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:44:56 AM »
Good for you Sean. I never smoked so can't empathize with you. I can empathize with the weight problem though. I have had one most of my life and almost every year lose some and then gain it back. I know, I know, it's bad.

But my DH said that when he stopped smoking, he would dream about smoking sometimes. He would see somebody in a restaurant smoking and would be hit by a wave of craving. He said that it lasted for about a year. But it wasn't long after he quit that he noticed he had more lung power to climb the stairs or a ladder.

Funny thing, we were on our second date and he told me he had something to tell me. He said he smoked and that if I wanted him to quit, he would. I told him I wasn't his mother so it was up to him, but that I would never marry a man who smoked. What a presumptious statement! I wasn't even thinking marriage at that point, let alone to him. He told me much later that the following week he finish the last pack he had and never smoked again. I don't think he was very hooked though because he never smoked in the house, on the job or in his car.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »
I am addicted to food, but do have many smoker friends and I know it takes great dedication.
 You did very well. O0 O0 O0
Food surrounds us on TV, magazines etc. it stimulates the salivary glands, mm mmmm, mouth watering good.  You can do it, so can I !
Exercise is great for many reasons, but only cutting back on food will do it!
See you in those cowboy Levis size 32! 
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Congrats, Sean!!!  I was never really bothered by cigarette smoke until I had babes.  There definitely is no smoking in my home but guests who need to smoke need to take it outside far from the house.

I need to loose weight..major!  I need more incentive to drive to the gym!  ;D :D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
Congratulations Sean, that is something to be proud of. @O@

I am so proud of my brother-in-law.  He is 64 years old and had smoked since he was a kid.  He recently went through a twelve week program at our local hospital using the patches.  He is doing great, looks so much better and sounds so much better.  He had such a nasty rattley cough and voice. 

I know how hard it is to loose the weight.  Been doing that my whole life.  Actually I can loose it pretty easy, keep it off about 18 months, then gain it all back.  When I was younger the excess weight didn't bother me.  Now I have to face the high cholesterol, heartburn, shortness of breath, all of which scare me every so often into loosing weight, then I feel so much better.

When I am starting a weight loss program, I hit it pretty hard at first.  If I can drop ten pounds quick, I feel so much better that I can stick to it easier.

Good luck,
Karen

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
Congratulations Sean, O0

You should be very proud of your accomplishment.
No milestone here, but I did quit smoking in the spring of 87 after many years of smoking. Not an easy thing to do. Like I need to tell you ;)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 05:40:41 PM »
Congratulations Sean,  @O@
That's something to be proud of !
I smoked a "few" when I was a teen , many longggggg year's ago .
I've never been tempted to start back .

bonnie

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
WAY TO GO SEAN!!!!  @O@  @O@  @O@  @O@  @O@
 @O@That's a GREAT thing to celebrate.

Oh my gosh. I'm so rabid about smoking... its so horrible for everyone who gets addicted. You are so LUCKY to be strong enough to kick the habit. So many people can't.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I smoked during High School -only to annoy my mother. It worked. But to this day, some thirty years later, the combination of sunset, a margarita... and I really want a smoke. And I can't stand the smell of tobacco - not a little bit. Not on someone's breath, not on someone's clothes, not in the car.. its poison!

Its a pledge to be smoke free. Its not easy.
People who don't have addictions really don't  GET it.
Good for you to be FREE!!!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »
Congrats, Sean!   @O@

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »
Congrats, Sean!

What did you use to get over the hump? I have attempted quitting a few times. I used the patched and managed 3 months until being given a reason, in my mind, to pick em up again. I have tried chantix and had a similair run only to pick em up again. It's hard knowing that I have increased my smoking after each attempt to quit.

Good luck with the weight. Obviously you have the will power to acheive your goals. When you decide thats what you want then you will accomplish it.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
Happy anniversary, Sean! I know how hard it is to quit, I've tried several times. You've gone a long time without smokes, keep it up!

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »
My girlfriend called me one evening, during the period when her husband was struggling to quit smoking, and confided that she was seriously considering renting an apartment of her own, because living with him as he made the transition was pure Hell.  He was crabby, irritable, irrational, demanding, mean, on and on.  (That's what she told me, anyway.)

But he stuck it out, it's been the better part of a year, and they are now living happily together in harmony. 

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
My quit day is sometime in January, but I don't recall what date (the 16th or 18th maybe?).  I'm pretty sure it was 10 years ago, but might be off by a year or two.

The great thing is that if you have made it 5 years, it is highly unlikely that you will slip . . . so congrats are really due as you are now a really reformed smoker!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 05:07:53 PM »
Congrats Sean....one of the hardest things I did was stop smoking...I think I traded one addiction for another....I gained about 50 lbs. the first 2 years I quit...and have been yo-yoing every since....the hardest time I had was after eating...but, after I did quit---I realized how much I stunk.....no matter how much perfume you were you can't cover up that smell....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 06:17:57 AM »
Thanks for all the great kudos and congratulations to all the other reformed smokers.

In the past I had tried the patch but it just made my arm itchy and numb so I quickly discontinued that and went back to smoking. A couple months before I stopped for good I tried Welbutrin which is similar in effect to Zyban and although I didnt care if I smoked or not I found it did not make it any easier to quit so I also discontinued that.
I had pushed my quit date back several times but the day that I stopped I said to myself, never again and that has become my mantra.
When I finally stopped I went cold turkey, I finally realized by looking for an aid to quit I was only prolonging the inevitable, in my honest opinion, if you are going to quit, go cold turkey and just get it over with, the hardest part is the first week. I did have cravings for about a year after I stopped but they only lasted a second or so and were gone as fast as they came. I can no longer stand the smell of smoke lingering in the air or on peoples breath or clothing. I find myself offering friends and coworkers breath mints and gum to disguise the scent. I also apologize frequently to other non smokers who I have been close to over the years for insulting their sense of smell for so long, now that I know how horrible it really is.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »
Congratulations Sean!  o(:-)  @O@

I'm so excited that Oregon has finally banned smoking in bars and restaurants. It will take a few months for the stench to clear out but I'm looking forward to going places again. The older I've gotten, the more smoke bothers me. It now gives me almost instant migraines. I have avoided many places and events because of it.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
Sean,

Good for you!  I smoked for 18 years, about 3 packs a day (When I started, a carton was $1.89).  I smoked Parliaments for 3 years, switched to Pall Mall (Unfiltered) for 5years then Pall Mall (filterted).  In October 1975 I developed "walking pneumonia" and my doctor told me if I did not stop smoking I would die.  I stopped smoking immediately ( 34 years ago) and have never smoked since and cannot stand to be around tobacco smoke.

Can you actually concieve of a more stupid activity than drawing smoke into your lungs?  I cannot.  The real insanity is the number of young people taking up the habit to be "cool" or whatever the current crop of know-nothings call it in the face of the preponderance of the medical drawbacks of the habit .

When I started smoking, the common wisdom was "it'll stunt your growth".  Now the proven scientific data reports that "it'll KILL YOU!.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
Bars are squawking about the ban but I know so many people who are going to start going out more because of it. In other states, revenue went up after smoking bans, not down. It was nice to be smoke free when we were in Victoria, the pub was packed with people. I didn't even see any standing around outside smoking.

I don't know what person decided that smoking was a good idea but it is really a tragedy that has cost millions of lives and millions of dollars.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 07:24:52 PM »
I quit a year ago in October after a six day stay in the hospital for having an irregular heartbeat triggered by running into the doorway with a box at my chest. I tried to start back up after they let me out and work just like before I went in and ended up back to the emergency room. Needless to say, I stopped smoking and worked my way back up to my regular work load slowly.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »
Sean,

Good for you!  I smoked for 18 years, about 3 packs a day (When I started, a carton was $1.89).  I smoked Parliaments for 3 years, switched to Pall Mall (Unfiltered) for 5years then Pall Mall (filterted).  [...snip...]

When I started smoking, the common wisdom was "it'll stunt your growth".  Now the proven scientific data reports that "it'll KILL YOU!.

My father used to smoke unfiltered Pall Malls. Couple packs a day, year after year, for 50 years, inside of our house. My mom smoked a couple packs of Salem menthol/day as well. Same house, no ventilation. It's amazing I'm not dead. Do you remember the old cigarette adds featuring "Doctors" who recommended one brand or another?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI&eurl=http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/a-blast-from-the-past-2/

and another-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhvHB62ph8&NR=1

Quote from: LeeAnne151
Bars are squawking about the ban but I know so many people who are going to start going out more because of it. In other states, revenue went up after smoking bans, not down. It was nice to be smoke free when we were in Victoria, the pub was packed with people. I didn't even see any standing around outside smoking.

This was news here just this morning. Turns out that Bars & Restaurants have seen an increase in patronage. Our smoking ban started Jan '07. Many bars have put outdoor heated smoking areas for the smokers at great expense, so it seems everyone is happy for now.

Quote from:  Sean
When I finally stopped I went cold turkey, I finally realized by looking for an aid to quit I was only prolonging the inevitable, in my honest opinion, if you are going to quit, go cold turkey and just get it over with, the hardest part is the first week.

Wow, thanks for that! Maybe I'll try again. I didn't try the drugs or patch, but did try the gum. Didn't work. It was easier quitting sugar than tobacco. I don't smoke in my house, so hate having to bundle up to go outside for a smoke. Winter is a great time for quitting, for me.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:59:38 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
Karen,
Let us know if you decide to make the comittment to quit.  I am sure others in the Forum Family would like to encourage you along the way!
I've never smoked (other than the occasional cigar), so I don't know what the addiction is like, but I can be there for moral support!  Maybe we could hold each other accountable...I need to kick the sugar addiction!

BTW Sean,
Congrats on being smoke free for 5 years.  It doesn't seem like its been that long ago.  We all need to help you through your weight loss goals too.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:32:37 PM by Brian »
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »
Sorry I'm late Sean.. have been thinking about you and this awesome anniversary! I can't believe it's been 5 years already! Wow you are doing a great job! And yes.. you are much more pleasant to have pass out in my lap now....LOL. j/k ;)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »
I picked up a rebounder for free today from a nice lady on "Vancouver Free Cycle". It is brand new, it was missing one spring so I have ordered one from Ohio for $4.00, not a bad price for a brand new one, they are selling on eBay for over $65.00 for this Weider model.

I am not ready to work out with the jocks in the Fitness room downstairs yet so this will help me get into shape before I hit the heavier equipment. I can definitely tell I am out of shape, just putting this thing together took two of us and I was sweating and huffing and puffing just installing the springs.

Now I can exercise while I watch TV.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »
Can you figure out how we can exercise while we are sitting in front of the computer???
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 10:23:28 AM »
congrats, Sean.  As a kid, I second-hand smoked 4 packs a day for decades.  I finally quit when I moved out!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
Congrats Sean!

People who have never smoked don't know know how hard it is to kick the habit and addition of smoking.     

In October DH finally tried to stop smoking and realized he could not go cold turkey so was only smoking a few a day for several weeks until our 17 yr old dog passed away and he is now smoking 1/2 - 1 pack a day.

He currently has an unfilled RX for Zyban but has to get his mind set to it again..  I hope this will be the year that he'll be a NON smoker!

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »
CONGRATS Sean! What a healthy attitude you have. I wished my dh would quit. He doesn't even want to. He doesn't have to hear himself at night wheezing when he's asleep.  :'(

He quit back in 1994 thru a hypnotist. Did real well, then I was in a car accident Jan. of 1996, and he took that for an opportunity to start up again.  >:( And has been smoking ever since. I could just wring his neck. There's no smoking in this house, he has to take out in that cold Pa. winter.   I have tried and tried I'm told I'm just nagging.

Back in June he had to go to the dr. to get a new script for his Epi pen. I thought oh boy I'll call them have the dr make sure she talks to him about quitting. Well when he came home I finally had to ask "did they talk to you about quitting"?  He said NO. Matter of fact she said she couldn't believe he was a smoker because his lungs were so clear. I said "Yeah she doesn't have to listen to you at night".  I was sooooo MAD!  >:(- >:(- So now he'll NEVER quit. No matter he has that mucussy cough now.   :'(

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 06:52:44 AM »
Sorry to hear he doesn't want to quit Nancy, that nasty cough would go away after a month of non smoking after the lungs had a chance to purge. All the healing that they will do is done in the first year but you notice the most dramatic results in the first month.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline cc

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »
Sean, that is something you should be really proud of, I have friends that kept going back to smoking even after quiting for couple of years. It sounds like you live in an apartment building, why not take the stairs or take walks after dinner. They said you should start exercising when you stop smoking to prevent the weight gain, late better than never. Eat more dark green vegetables to replace some of the starchy food and fill your tummy with more fibers, you know the drill! I never have weight problem but a good diet and regular exercises is far more important than weight issue.
Wish you a healthier and thinner year!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"