Author Topic: Elephant ears seem to be edible  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Elephant ears seem to be edible
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
I failed to cut back a big one so the huge leaf is in the pond.  I noticed today that only the veins remain.  Either the fish or turtles are eating it.  Water temp is in the middle 50s
I will post a photo later.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Elephant ears seem to be edible
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
Hey Jerry!  I didn't know we had to cut back our elephant ears.  My are still looking good.  My understanding is the leaves are poisonous.  Hopefully it was just your neighborhood raccoon or egret/heron snacking on the leaves.  :D

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »
 8)

Might be a different species, but we use the leaves of our "Elephant Ears" to wrap the pork in to make our home-made "Kalua Pig"...  I believe they are the same as the Taro Leaves that they use in Hawaii for Lau Lau and Kalua Pig... 

Don't know if ours is alocasia or colocasia, but we eat it and it lends a terrific flavor to meat...

Dave

Edit...  Well I tried to attach it but it was too large....  but check out "taro leaf" in Wikipedia...  Used throughout the world as an edible vegetable...  Just make sure you cook it!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:34:16 PM by finnpond »

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
I cut back only the spent leaves.  I took the leaf out of the pond for a photo, but the veins were too frail for a photo, the whole thing collapsed.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 04:05:46 PM »
Might be a different species, but we use the leaves of our "Elephant Ears" to wrap the pork in to make our home-made "Kalua Pig"...
Now Dave.....  How can you mention something that sounds as delicious as your "Kalua Pig" and not mention how you make it?  {:-P;; O0

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 04:46:53 PM »
Uh......  I buy the pork butt roast and sea salt, cut the Ti leaves and the Elephant Ear leaves, de-vein them, wash them, then give them to my beautiful wife, ...  Voila!!!!  ::) A couple hours later, after I've helped shred the pork, it's ready!!!!!   Simple!!!! and sooooo gooood.......

When she returns this afternoon I'll post the real thing....

Dave

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »
Do you have to go to Africa to get the ears or are they available at the local market?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:49:23 AM by reddad35 »

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
Nah they are local. I play pool and use a product called "Elephant Balls".  For real.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:51:38 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:47:45 AM »
Elephant ears and taro are two different things.  There are also other similar-looking plants that are of different families.

I have also heard that elephant ears are poisonous.  At least to humans and dogs, etc.  Maybe not reptiles or birds.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »
Taro, aka COLOCASIA has been farmed for eons as food.
http://libweb.hawaii.edu/libdept/scitech/agnic/taro.html

It's ALOCASIA species that are poisonous.
How to tell between the 2 plant types?  ?)(?

Alocasia and Colocasia leaves are generally shaped like hearts.
You can see the spot where the stem attaches underneath, usually lighter than the rest of the leaf.
If it is attached at/near the notch, and heart shape pointed upward/upsidedown, it is Alocasia. (*although there are exceptions here too, not all are upright)
If it's attached near the center, or a little off center so the heart shape hangs down, right side up,
it's a Colocasia.

Generally, Colocasia like water, and Alocasia don't. Although there are exceptions.
Whatever, it's not hard to Google a plant the day you buy it, to make sure the tag is correct,
and to be a responsible plant owner. If you're posting here, you have a computer, and can Google any plant you want.  8)

Both plants can be grown, and grow best planted right in the ground, in well drained soil that isn't allowed to dry out.
They are extremely heavy feeders, so keeping them well mulched with compost and/or leaf mold is a very good idea.
Even better, sprinkle a half cup of Osmocote (or Multicote) around the base of each plant before you mulch.

Try planting them both ways, crammed into little pots and then sunk in the pond, and then plant one in your garden some place where it won't dry out, where you can water it often, and where there is some run off from a roof or AC unit.
Once you see how well they grow in the ground, you won't wanna grow them little strugfgling pathetic things in a pond anymore.
They just need more room than most pots provide, and more nourishment than the pots can hold.
 8)

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Aroids/

If you want to grow it in a pond, get Colocasia, not Alocasia.  :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
I would bet you have colocasia Jerry...I've kept Colocasi in ponds and my fish have always eaten them and the goats will mow them down in a heart beat...so far I've not ever had any dead fish or goats due to them  ;)....
Joyce posted a pic of her black and Lime Zingers a while back...that is one of my favorite pics....that combination just POPS....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »
It is Colcosia.  My Lime Zingers failed
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »
Turtles like colocasia and it doesn't seem to hurt them in the least . . . tho they can hurt it.

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 06:54:57 PM »
Hello Everyone...

We also have the colocasia, now that I've looked at all the on-line info I can (thanks Joyce)...  We have the EE in our upflow garbage can filters, in pots on our deck, and in the ground at the edge of the pond...  We also grow ti leaves as an indoor plant, as it is low light tolerant and we like the looks of it (probably have 15 large plants, and steal Tammi's stalks when we are in Hawaii, just kidding, but I have good friends that give me plenty when we're there) ...  When we trim the ti leaves we vacuum seal them and freeze them, also that's the same thing we do with the Elephant Ears/Colocasia leaves.... 
Of course we don't eat them raw, but if they were poisonous I'd have been dead 25 years ago, because I LOVE Laulau...  and have eaten great quantities in my lifetime... 

Just want to allay fears here, don't eat it if you don't want to, but you can if you soak it for a day or cook it....

Dave

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks Joyce for the explanation.  Guilty for not checking info first but sometimes it's easier to ask AP and find out stuff. 

Finnpond, you've tempted me to try your Lau Lau and Kalua Pig...   @O@

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 07:59:59 PM »
Thanks Joyce for the explanation.  Guilty for not checking info first but sometimes it's easier to ask AP and find out stuff. 

Ooooh you got that right. Thanks also, Joyce, for the info. My Hilo Beauty has failed miserably, yet we continue to nurse that dead baby. It comes back in spring, languishes in summer, then dies back in fall. Year after year. I want to make that Kalua Pig from my regular Taro. Sounds/reads delicious!

It's so hard to grow those plants around here. I've had some success with certain varieties, none with others.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »

Ooooh you got that right. Thanks also, Joyce, for the info. My Hilo Beauty has failed miserably, yet we continue to nurse that dead baby. It comes back in spring, languishes in summer, then dies back in fall. Year after year . I want to make that Kalua Pig from my regular Taro. Sounds/reads delicious!

It's so hard to grow those plants around here. I've had some success with certain varieties, none with others.
Karen Hilo Beauty- I have seen it sold as a pond plant... but,it is an Alocasia which does best outside the pond in moist but, not wet conditions....a simple way to remember which can be grown in water and which can't....Alo (alocasia) can't and Colo(colocasia) can.....
Lawanna

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »
Dave - you can come steal my ti leaves anytime you want to!  There used to be a field of them in the forest up above my house, not  sure if they're still there... the wild pigs seem to be wiping out everything up there.  I don't think I've ever eaten a taro leaf... ti leaf , yes.  We use the taro leaf to wrap the laulaus. The laulaus we make are chunks of pork butt, or fish or chicken, salted, wrapped in ti leaves then taro leaves and then steamed.  Kalua pig is suppose to be cooked in a imu - underground oven, heated with hot rocks, smothered with banana stumps and covered.  Pretty much steaming the meat too.  I don't remember using taro or ti leaves in the imu... but I haven't helped load a imu in a long, long time.  I've made Kalua pig in the oven before tho.  Just doesn't taste the same!  Almost as good tho! 
Tammie

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »
Okay, that does it...  I'm off to Costco to get a two-pack of pork butts.  I have a smoker I'll pull out and by tomorrow at this time I will be having some juicy pulled pork.....  @O@

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »
What time should I be there?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
f you've ever wondered where the leaves you use to wrap your pork come from here is a picture of this years crop and what the young'uns will look like by summers end.

Though this is Colocasia gigantea from Thailand and it might not be common yet in Hawaii....never seen it with one of those funky regional names the Hawaiians are so fond of.<g>

And Lawanna...last I knew... and it is a few years old, so may have changed...although Hilo Beauty is commonly listed as an Alocasia, no one really knows!  No one up to the time I read about it had ever bloomed one and the pollen is a determining factor between Alocasia, Colocasia and Xanthosoma....and Xanthosoma is what some believe it to be.  And speaking of them....Lime Zinger is a Xanthosoma.  More than you ever cared to know, but what the hey.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
Craig I never tire of learning  ;)   glad to see back....I always love to read your posts-I always learn soo much from them....and seeing your gorgeous plants....thanks for the info...I have only seen Hilo beauty sold as a Alocasia so thats why I said it is an Alocasia....I tried to grow it and failed miserably because I didn't know it wasn't a pond plant--it wasn't untill I killed mine that I really got into collecting different Colocasia, Alocasia, and Xanthosomas (to this day I still can't pronouce these)...untill I started ponding all I ever knew of was the EEs you buy every year from the store....

Lawanna
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:31:34 PM by tranquility »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
Another Hawaiian dish made from taro is poi. I hear that it's awful tasting.

I made the mistake of picking up a piece of wild taro on the river bank one time, not knowing what it was. Now I can't get rid of it. :( I wonder if it can be used for poi? ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »
I tried giganta and really cared for it, but it failed.  yes Poi is not too bad with a ton of sugar, so is library paste.

Welcome Craig! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
As far as I am concerned Hilo Beauuty is an Alocasia...grows MUCH better as a garden plant and not in the pond or bog. 8)

Hey Craig, LOVE seeing you here.
The more you hang out here, the more I will too, for the learning and like minds.  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
So do you have them in or out of your pond?  I'm interested in elephant ears.
Alfonso

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »
Well I didn't have any elephant ears and I didn't want to strip my bananas of their leaves so I did my pork shoulders bare......with some tasty dry rub......  I tossed them into the smoker at a low 210 degrees and about 15 hours later I started pulling....  Here's one shoulder with part of it already pulled...

I didn't have any coleslaw for my pulled pork sandwich but I had plenty of BBQ sauce.  It doesn't get much better than this....

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
Looks great Mike.
Landey, see photo, it is my pond. When leave wilt, they hang in pond.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:55 AM »
 8-)~

Oh man Mikey!!!!!  You've just made breakfast mandatory......  MMMMMMMM....

Dave

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"