Author Topic: University advice/info  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Carla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
University advice/info
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi all - Thought I'd try and see if I could pick the brains of some ponding buddies.   ;)
My oldest son has just completed his Associates Degree at our local college and wants to continue to his bachelor's in either political science or journalism, and possibly go on to law school after that. 
Our children pay for a their own college with whatever help we can muster (get the violins out - we have eight children.) Anyhow, he heard somewhere that if he set up residency in Georgia or some such state he could attend state schools there much more affordably than here in NY.  (Even free for independent poor students???)
Does anyone know what the deal is with state universities in North/South Carolina, Virginia, and or Georgia and what the rules are for residency etc?  Any advice you could offer a hardworking young man who can barely make ends meet as it is?   

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Re: University advice/info
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi Carla,

I'm originally from Kansas and attended a smaller state university in my hometown to the tune of about $1200 tuition/semester for my B.S. I covered that and more through scholarships and pell grants. When it came time for grad school, I applied to a couple of the accredited programs in my chosen field and ended up coming to the University of Florida. I received a tuition waiver and was paid an assistantship of approximately $18k/year. My only responsibilities were for fees (about $600/semester out-of-state, $300/semester in-state) and the general cost of living. Each state is different, and in Florida, you must be a resident for 1 year prior to attaining in-state tuition. I had to complete a declaration of domocile form with the city, register my vehicle and change my driver's license, etc. within days of moving here to ensure I could get in-state rates my second year. Some universities can give grad students in-state rates from the beginning if they are on an assistantship, it just varries.

With law school being a professional school, there's little that can be done to get around the high tuition. I believe the least expensive in the country might be the University of Arkansas at about $13k/year. Most either can pay it, or can get good student loans once admitted to a program.

Best of luck in his studies!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Carla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:09:06 AM »
Thank you for the info. I never heard of a tuition waiver.  He's not eligilble for any grants because they claim we, his parents, earn yoo much. Its infuriating esp. since A. we don't, and B. he is independent from us anyway. 
He lived on his own for three years and had every rent receipt, electric bill etc.. to prove it ,but the college said since no police were involved when he left home at 18 he is still considered dependent. Isn't that ludicrous?
It has taken every dime he has and some he's borrowed just to keep his head above water working and going to school.  I can't bear  to see him give up out of exhaustion and exasperation. 

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:38:51 AM »
I qualified for pell grants because I was married with one dependent my freshman year of college. Have you claimed him as a dependant since he graduated high school? It may be that just because you could claim him, he is exempt.

Tuition waivers are pretty much only in grad school though. His undergrad department may have departmental scholarships available, I received many of those. Now that I'm finished with my two degrees (contemplating Ph.D.), I contribute back to my undergrad physics department's scholarship fund.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Carla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
 :D  Hahaha Maybe he should get married.. Wouldn't that be a poor reason.
Thanks again for the help. We haven't claimed him as a dependent since he left home so they aren't going by that.  Its just NYS bureaucracy.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 10:53:12 PM »
I would go to Google and type in: "College Residency Requirements ____________" (state)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Carla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »
Good idea Mikey. I'll try it. O0  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"