Author Topic: Winter Hum....Hatched!  (Read 6225 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Winter Hum....Hatched!
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »
She's BAACCKKK!!!!  Could this be Momma Hum from the past summer building her nest and starting another new family?  Or could it be Babes, the surviving Hum from summer's hatching ready to start a new family after a few months of adventure?

Whoever it is, she's tame, or should I say not terribly scared of our presence.  It was a surprise to see this nest built on the strand of outdoor lights under the patio again.  This time it is to the right of the patio on the other electric plug connection of the string lights.  The first time I saw the nest I looked into it with a small pocket mirror and lo and behold...two tiny precious eggs!  I was so excited I forgot to check to see if there was a momma bird nearby before peeping at the new residents.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:46:48 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Winter Hum....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
Very cool!  8)  8)  8)  I betcha it's the same one.  (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:40:47 PM »
Yep, she was nearby alright.  I thought she was out looking for nectar but when I moved away from the nest she quickly flew in and sat on the nest.  In her long beck was some fuzz which I could not make out until I walked up a little closer.  It turns out it was spider webs in her beck.  She was still putting some last minute touches to the nest.

We've been watching her since New Year's Day and we have noticed her nest is even taller than the last photo shown here.  This nest is even taller the the previous Summer nest we watched ( you can find that post here http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0.  We worried about the cold last two weeks but it has warmed up considerably this last weekend.  It's around the mid 80's* during the day and 40's at night this week.

Who knew there would be excitement in the winter garden?  @O@
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:44:09 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »
Very cool indeed 8)

They'd be a tad cold here this week. Today is our warm day--19F, the rest of the week, at or below deg, day and night. 17 below predicted for thurs night.
Imagine being up north where it's really cold. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What a neat outdoor space you have there.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
I believe you may be correct, Joyce!  Momma Hum seems to know us and I've noticed her in the garden humming around us when we are outside.  Now I realize that may be why we saw hummingbirds buzzing about before we even noticed the nest.   

BRRRRrrr!  Too cold for me too Steve!  The hummingbirds seem to like the patio cover too!  If it gets too cold we can always spy on her with binoculars from the family room window.  That area under the patio cover is now full of all the outdoors furniture I pulled in before we went on our China trip to avoid any rain chance in SoCal.  Thanks.

I hope you'll all enjoy this new adventure happening in our backyard!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
I'd enjoy ANY outdoor adventure in your backyard Annette...mine is just too cold and barren.  Only bird feeders with lots of birds just trying to stay alive--like Steve said, mid week below zero and highs around 10.  I don't mind the cold really, but I hate the PROLONGED cold, it just creeps down into the ground and it stays that way until spring thaw.  Hydrants freeze up and the cattle can't drink, I worry about the pond and my fish and it just seems that winter hangs on forever.  If the sun shines (rarely) it does lift the spirits a lot.  But your hummingbird adventures will keep me going in the meantime  o(:-)   O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
Annette,
It's nice to see your bird is back. This will be fun!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »
Oh boy ! You get to watch these babies grow ....how cool is that !

bonnie

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:51 AM »
Interesting.  I didn't think they would build a nest this early.  We are quite warm right now but it had been quite chilly....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:12:44 AM »
Very neat! I remember your pix from last year, I am jealous

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:01 AM »
How very coooool, I am only able to enjoy these beautiful birds in the summer.  I have never seen a nest, how fun to be able to watch the little ones.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Friends!  I didn't know the Hums would be nesting this time of the year!  This week has been very...HOT!  Yesterday was a whopping 87*!!!  Phewww!  Today was pretty warm too.  But at least the Hums are warm  :hug:

I'd enjoy ANY outdoor adventure in your backyard Annette...mine is just too cold and barren.
LuAnn, be careful what you wish for  :D :D :o  Kidding!...or maybe not....hheheh.

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about  you hummer nest.  I really enjoyed all of the photos that you shared with us last summer.  I am looking forward to updates.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 07:53:29 AM »
Thanks Ruth.  Hopefully I will get more photos of the progress.  These past few weeks it has either been real cold, relatively, around the low 50's or high 80's during the day.  This keeps me in the house until the conditions are comfortable for me to get outside to do some garden work (I know I am a wimp when it comes to the weather).  I for get to check on the nest and as the sun goes down I remember I forgot to get a photo.   :D

Glad to see you too, Maryvonne!  Still cold and snowy in B.C.?

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 08:21:32 AM »
Another hummingbird adventure!  O0  What a pretty little nest- yet it looks quite sturdy. I hear there are record high temps in Ca (that was a few days ago), I so wish we were there!

With all the snow cover here, we are going through huge amounts of bird seed, especially thistle for the finches.

I hope both of your babies hatch & survive.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »
I have seen quite a number of hummers buzzing around of late, but am jealous of your nest. Look forward to hum journal.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:34:51 AM »
Oh good, another hummingbird adventure. Do you leave that string of lights turned on? If so would it be warmer there?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »
Thanks Karen!  This time around I hope Momma Hum will be happier that we are not using the backyard as much because of the weather.  Although this week I need to get out and trim all the roses and clean up the garden beds.  >:(

Look forward to hum journal.
  I like that Mike.  May have to borrow that term  {:-P;;

Esther, what a great idea!  I'm not too sure about turning the lights on in the evening.  Don't want to disturb Momma.  But during the day when it gets colder would probably work.  Not alot of heat comes off these lights - something better than nothing  ;)  This will happen after the heat wave.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Hatched!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »
I think all the hot weather we had last week cooked up a pair peepers I only discovered Sunday!  I am amazed the eggs hatched so fast.  I screamed with amazement when I just looked into the nest with my trusty mirror.  There they were, two little breathing bodies.

Momma Hum is busy finding food for the cuties.  She barely stays long to feed the babes before she zips off for more dinner.  The babes are nestled deep down in the nest.  They'll need the warmth this week's forecast of rain and drizzle.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
The baby hums are growing fast....and so is the pile of poopies Momma is tossing and spitting out.   :o  I have a poopy shield up this time  O0  hung over my new blinds.

The dark dots on the white Styrofoam sheet - recycled from DH's guitar packing cushion - are 3D poopies!  :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:55:24 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline marla

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »
How exciting....hard to make out the babies, how many are there?  How long will it be before they leave the nest?
Her secret is patience.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »
Thanks Marla.  It's still exciting for me.  Lots of exclamation and screams of wonder whenever I spy on the family.  There are two babies.  @O@
Fatter and fuzzier everyday!  Momma is only back long enough to feed the babes.

Sorry the photos are so dark.  The nest is up higher this time around and I need to use a step ladder to reach up to see them.  Plus the nest is behind a wood beam and out of direct sunlight.

I think at the rate they are growing they should be ready to fly in about 2 to 3 weeks.   :'(  Too soon for me....

In this photo you can make out a head on the right side of the nest.

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »
Annette, don't be sorry, I think it is just wonderful that you are posting them, I've never seen one before......and I can see them real good on the new picture.  I must say you are very lucky, I'd be watching every chance I could get.  So is there a male or does just the female feed, nurture and raise them?
Her secret is patience.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »
Lucky you!  I love your new blinds, glad to see you got something up quick to protect them.

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
No prob, Marla.  I took much better photos with the first Hum nest last summer.  Check it out here
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0

According to web info after the female lays the eggs she is the sole parent for either one or two babes.  She is very attentive to the needs of the eggs and the hatched.  Momma's duties right now is to find enough food for the hungry tummies.  I'm not positive but it seems the babies can hear Momma flying back to the nest for feeding.  The babes lift their heads and make tiny squeaks for nourishment.  Too cute!  After Momma empties her goodies she's off again for more din-din. 

Today I hardly saw her during the day.  Then around 4 to 6pm I didn't see her.  :search:  We worried (unnecessarily) that we didn't see her before the sun set.  Well I just checked now and....she's back!  She has settled down, hopefully for the rest of the night.

Thanks, Karen.  DH kept hounding me to cover the blinds before the art-fest 'cause he's not replacing these blinds for many years to come.  ;D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
Just out of curiosity I am posting 2 photos of the Momma Hum.  One from last summer and the one this winter.  What do you think, is she the same Momma Hummingbird?  I know the males are territorial.  Do they keep a harem of the same females too?

Top one is last summer's female.
Bottom photo is this winter's female.

You decide.  :o

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »
Love your Hummer Adventures Annette, Thanks for sharing!

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »
Annette, Thanks for the link to the summer thread....I don't know how I missed that one, the pictures on it are fantastic O0
Her secret is patience.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
Thanks Bonnie and Marla!

The 2 baby Hums are growing fast.  We've been watching Momma feeding them more often now.  She barely has time to feed them each alternately a few times before she buzzes off.  It's amazing she doesn't drill right through the tummies as she is feeding the babes so fast.  Then to see her tongue whip out is fascinating. 

I'll get a photo here as soon as I can!  ;)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Fuzzies!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »
Well I've been busy and forgot to post photos!   {nono}  No excuse!

But here are a lot of photos I've been taking for the past 11 days.  So much on babies growth.  Momma has been quick to feed then dash.  This time around the babies are growing at a faster rate!

1.  Little beaks.

2. They are fuzzy and cuddling.  And they're soooo cute!  :hug:

3. This is a new feeder I had to get since I couldn't find the feeder tubes I ordered online last Fall  >:(  It's attractive but it leaks.  Just as well though.  It'll make me clean it more often and refill it with fresh sugar water.  Also, for convenience, I bought a powder mix that is so red and gooey (added more water).  But it makes a visual mess on the ground, even with pottery below to catch drips.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"