Author Topic: Winter Hum....Hatched!  (Read 6227 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Quills!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »
Seven days ago the Babes are growing feathers, quills are showing!  I think Momma is so busy feeding the two munches that she hasn't kept the nest real clean.  So much poopies!   :o

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Blink Blink!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
Last day of January.  Both are carefully watching our every move.... They're blinking and looking around.  Still growing.  Makes me wonder if there will be enough room for the two at this rate.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Full Basket!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »
Tail feathers are showing!  "Getting squishy in here!"

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Spring Show!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:38 PM »
Even though Punxsutawney Phil predicted more winter we are going through a warm weather trend.  It feels like spring and the plants are blooming. 

1. This is the mirror we use to spy on the Hum babes....oooooh, ahhhhhh, soooo cute!  My DD wants to touch them.  {nono}

2. Their beaks are getting longer and the feathers are filling in.

3. Just another shot of cutes.  ::)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Spotted!
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »
This morning I found the babies both perky and so much more grown up.  I like the new spots on their throat feathers.  They're growing up!....Too soon and they'll be gone!

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hum....Hatched!
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
Annette,

I recently went to the Desert Museum in Tucson, which has a walk-in hummingbird aviary and has done extensive hummingbird studies, and they said never to add food coloring to hummingbird food.  This is supported by the Audobon Society.  Here is a line from the Audobon Society, "Fill the feeders with sugar water, made by combining four parts hot water to one part white sugar, boiled for one to two minutes. NEVER use honey, which promotes the growth of harmful bacteria, or artificial sweeteners. Also avoid red food coloring".    If you google red food coloring in hummingbird feeder you will find that it is a very hot subject but that nearly everyone agrees that it is best not to take a chance on the possible harm the food coloring might cause.  It is also important to make sure the mixture is not diluted to less than 1 part sugar to four parts water.  I know you love your hummers and would not want to take any chances on harming them.

Casey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
Thanks Casey for the food info.   O0  I was making the sugar water myself but stupidly bought the feeder mix thinking that it would save me some time.  It's red and gooey and making a big mess.  That was a couple of dollars gone to the trash.  Going back to sugar and water.  But it was good to read your advice.

Offline casey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
Annette,

There is controversy even about the companies that continue to make the food that has food coloring.  Interesting.  You'd think they would stop but one writer said red sells more and since there is no HARD proof of the coloring being bad, these companies won't stop.  You're feeder is so pretty but I have one other thing you might like to know.  My friend in WI was told to stop feeding because the drips were attracting carpenter ants which were then feasting on her house too.  I sent her a Perky Pet feeder that absolutely can not drip and she is happily feeding again.  It was especially important to her because she has a wonderful Bed & Breakfast and her guests love the hummers.  Here is a link to one.  There are a number of different brands and they are called "basin" feeders.  They aren't nearly as pretty as yours is though but there are probably some pretty basin feeders made if you care enough to look.  And yes, Perky Pet is one of the companies who still add red dye to their food but I still like their basin feeders.

Happy Feeding,
Casey

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »
My girlfriend has a hummer nest on the ceiling fan on their back patio.  It just cracks me up because momma bird sits there with her nest and when the wind spins the fan blade (slowly...) her head is higher than the bottom side of the blade and it just pushes her head down.  Four blades on the fan and she's just taking it all in.  I'm going to bring my camera and see if I can get a video of it...it's a riot!  .lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
I'm pretty unhappy about this feeder....it drips.  I do have a pot below for the drips but I can imagine all the ants that are going to love it when the temps get warmer.  I've seen the basin feeders you mention.  I wondered if the hummers would know to stick their beaks in the openings for the juice.  But I think I will take your advice on that one, Casey.  I'm not thrill with food coloring added to foods and am very weary about eating most apparent coloring.

It's been raining a whole lot since yesterday and the pot of sugar water is over-flowing.  Couldn't be too good for the wood deck.  I sure hope the ants appreciate it!  :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:47:24 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »
Michael, that is too funny!  At first I thought you were going to say you turned the fan on and whipped the nest off, Ohhhh Noooo!  I think Hummers must be good adapters to their environment.  Need photos!   ;D

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
I've bought (and subsequently thrown away) two feeders that dripped like crazy.  I have a hanger under the arbor covering the waterfall catch area (for shade from the heat) and it was just dripping into the water.  Not sure if that will harm or bother the koi, but I thought the hummers were drinking like crazy until I saw the leaks.  I need to find one that won't leak and is easy to clean. 

Funny about the red die...if you go to most places that have hummer food they have the mix that turns red.  I never know that about the red die...so I'll refrain from buying that mix again!  I do get a few hummers but they never go for the water in the feeder...they do sip from the waterfall though!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 03:19:45 PM »

The birds have absolutely no trouble figuring where to put their beaks to drink from a basin feeder.  You can usually get them at PetsMart, PetCo or maybe even Walmart.  I discovered them because I had no trees into which to put a hanging feeder when I first moved here.  Many of the basin feeders can be mounted on a pole stuck in the ground.  I like that because I have a lot more choices for placement and it doesn't swing around in the wind.  I don't recall the size of the pole but I just took my feeder with me to Home Depot and found a plastic threaded pipe that fit great.  My DH thinks it was about schedule 80 (light grey) water pipe.

Casey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »
OK here we go again on the update....
Wednesday, 3 days ago, my DD went to peak at the babes with her mirror.  Well this may have frightened the older babe and it flew out of the nest and basically glided to a nearby tree.  We chased after it hoping it would be alright and not fly over the fence into the neighbors yard, they have dogs!  When it landed on a small tree branch I told DD to pick up the babe but she balked saying she was afraid it would bite!  Hardly! So I pulled on its tail trying to get it to release its grip.  Finally it let go of the twig but struggled to get out of my grasp.  I was left with a small tuft of tail downy feathers!  Ohhhh!!

We chased it around the patio a bit before catching up to it and scooping it up in my hand.  Sooo precious!  I put it back into the nest as soon as possible fearing that too much contact with it would be detrimental and Momma would reject the nestlings.

We probably scared the beegees out of the poor darling.  Its wings stayed spread out and it didn't move for a very long time after putting it back.   :o

You see this frozen pose in the photos.  Note a few missing feathers from the tail.  My bad!  :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
On Thursday it happened, the older, larger babe few out to join Momma.  We see them flitting about now and then and Momma still stops by to feed #2.  The younger Hum is preening and cleaning its feathers.  Pretty soon this one will be joining its sibling out there.  If not today, tomorrow for sure.  :(  I'll miss this saga.  But I am left with a really big mess of poopy art.  :D

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2009, 06:37:32 AM »
This story is just as amazing this year as last year, if not more! AWESOME!  @O@ 8) O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
Thanks Joyce!  Right now we are watching the last babe practice its tiny wings.  It has stayed longer than we thought it would.  Momma still comes back to feed it.  Soon though #2 will be up up and away!

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
So what's it like being a Hum-grandma? Or is that Hum-GREAT grandma?  :D
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 03:45:15 PM »
 ;D Ho-Hum!!  Hahhah!  Joyce that's me, GrandHum!  Or GrandHoHum!

Well... :'( the last hum has zipped away  :'(  That empty nest feeling is so lonely.  A few hours before the last hum flew away it was still being fed by Momma and it preened and practiced fluttering its wings at amazing speeds.  Around 2ish this afternoon after one last peek, #2 disappeared.  Momma seems very experienced this time around.  I'm sure both babes are experiencing great freedom now! 

The end of our adventure...until next time!  O0

Thanks to all those who spied on the Winter Hums with me.  o(:-)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
Amazing pics & wonderful to watch them grow.  So glad for you that you had the excitement again  @O@
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 07:49:28 AM »
Annette,
Thank you again for sharing this amazing hummer story with us.  Since mama hummer nested so early in the year, I wonder if she will have more babies this summer.  I think it would be wonderful, but, then, I am not the one who has to clean the poopie up from the patio.
Be sure to let us know if she nests again.

Ruth

Ruth

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »
I betcha they'll come back and nest again.  (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
Your pictures are so wonderful. Thanks for sharing the story. I've noticed that all the fancy feeders I've ever had eventually leak. The best feeder I've found so far is the Humzinger. Here's a link-
http://www.hummzinger.com/

I found mine at a wild bird store, and it's really great. No drips, bee guards, and a lifetime warranty. They're not the prettiest things, but they really do work well.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
As much as I like for the Hums to return I don't like the mess or the restricted access.  I honestly didn't think this nest would happen since the one last summer.  I pulled the string lights up higher towards the structural beam of the patio cover purposely hoping it would keep the nest builders away.  Didn't happen  :D

The other spot with the surprise hum nests was the fabric covered cabana but the fabric tore during the Santa Ana winds we had in November so there is no cover left for protection of the nests built on the string lighting there.

Right now we are experiencing lots of rain and it's cold.  I will probably take the string lights down and hang another set in a different area of the garden to see if they take to that quieter location.  Plus I gots lots of poopies to clean up!  :o

Vickie I've seen those feeders and will most likely get that style.  The way they look really doesn't bother me a bit.  It's when you see the hummers feeding that make them special  o(:-)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
Thanks Annette for taking the time to post all the pics of the little hummers.  I always enjoy them. o(:-)

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
You are very welcomed Karen.  I'm missing them already.  Empty nester for sure.  I keep looking out there to see the babes but all that remains for now is the nest.  Thank goodness they are gone now though...it's so windy and the string of lights with the nest is swinging all over the place!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »
I loved this thread.  I must say that when I saw it I thought 'Oh no, the new blinds'  lol I was glad to see they were protected  {nono}  Thanks for sharing.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 08:01:02 PM »
I am happy to share this Hum Journal, Katfish!  About the new blinds...finally removed the poopy sheet and raised the blinds to see my blooming saucer magnolia from the family room window.  I also picked up the cardboard sheet off the ground that also collected Hum poop.  Just need to clean the beam above the empty nest  :o

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »
Been away for a while, but finally got back here and the first place I went was this thread....the last baby pictures are so awesome...you did a great job journaling this event, I really enjoyed it.  If you have now had it happen twice, I'm sure that momma or another will be back again, and you can enjoy it all over again, even the cleaning of the blinds ;D.  The Magnolia is gorgous, I will have to wait quite a few more months before I see those glorious blooms here.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »
Aw, shucks, Marla, that is a very nice compliment for sure!

Last Friday we saw a hummingbird sitting on the bare branch of the nectarine tree in the rain.  It sat very still until we saw another hummingbird flying around it.  This is the first time we ever saw a Momma hum feeding her babe out of the nest!  Could it be our Hum family?  It was exciting for us to watch this amazing sight.

I'm sure there are more hums or the same ones trying to build a nest on the same string of lights!  We saw one hum flying around the "other" light plug - the site of the first nest last summer.  The builder buzzed around the site too many times trying to lace the area with spider web!   :o  Nooooo!!!!  I really do not want one in this location as I'm sure we would probably make the Momma hum's efforts go to naught with all our disturbances because of the location.

Dh had a brilliant idea!  Drape foil over the light plug like a tent but close to the plug to prevent a new nest from appearing!  It's working so far!  Sorry Momma.  Check out another string light in the yard, PLEASE!   :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"